redcloud

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scott keyes

icon1.gif
A "late bloomer's" experience & frustration
Dear Fellow Forum members:

At the outset, I must appologize for the length and probable rambling nature of this post. Please bear with me! I have been lurking on this forum for awhile and have found that responses for the most part are sympathetic, encouraging, supportive, and informative. On April 4th I took my "Discovery Flight" at a local Cessna Flight Center and the following week I began the journey towards obtaining a PPL-ASEL at the same facility. I have found the experience to be both exhilarating and frustrating!

I have always wanted to learn to fly. As a young adult, I was too involved with obtaining my education and starting a family (3 kids); at age 30 or so I could not afford to take lessons; at 38 or so I became disenchanted with the idea of taking lessons after speaking to a local CFI who related hating training "doctors" because of their "inherent attitude". Well I turned 49 this year in March and decided if I was gonna do it (fly that is) I had better get busy. I visited the local FBO, but the CFI there told me I had to buy my own plane. It might be important to mention that I am 6'4" and 325#. Ultimately I decided it would be a good idea to attend a more structured school so I went with the Cessna Flight Center. Due to my physical size and their willingness; I opted to take traing in a C-182 with G-1000, and purchased a training package (to include 50 hours wet,40 hours of ground, the costs of testing, & the training CDs) for around $10,700. The average instructor at this facility had taught for about 2 years each completing the training for around 8 or 9 students. Later another fellow came on board with considerably more experience. I was assigned a primary instructor.

The ground portion has gone fairly well. I self studied using the CD series, an ASA test prep guide, various things I found on the internet & the AOPA site, a book called "Stick and Rudder", and answers to questions posed to my instructor. I took the written exam and received a score of 92. I also dutifully obtained my medical clearance by the 3rd week or so.

My frustration results primarily from the course of my practical training. I am fully aware that I am not as coordinated as I may have been when younger and I am even willing to accept that my "natural ability" may be suspect when compared to others.

During the month of April I had six lessons totalling 8.3 hours and which covered essentially all of the basic maneuvers as well as power and prop management. I was excited and felt the lessons had gone well!

During the first week of May I was unable to be in the area for lessons but wanted earestly to fly so I took 5 lessons in a C-172 at another FBO totaling 6.4 hours and included general maneuvers, steep turns, and 26 landings. Later in the month at the same place I took a 2.4 hour lesson which included XC touring at several airports in central Ohio. Remember, I just wanted some extra "stick and rudder" time. Throughout the rest of May, I had 8 lessons totaling 14 hours. These were alot tougher, personally. The instructor strongly implied I needed to take more initiative in managing the plane; however remembering what a prior CFI had said about teaching "doctors" I had fervently tried to touch nothing until specifically "told to do so" so as not to appear pushy and difficult to teach.

During the first week of June, I had 4 lessons totaling 6.6 hours and involved landings (the outcome after 26 landings during this week and by now 92 landings was that I was unable to flare at the right time (usually early) or enough, or too much. I was getting upset at my inability to "get it". I had an aquaintance who had taught for >25 years for essentially all ratings, was a DE for many ratings, and a fully rated mechanic take me out to see what was wrong. He felt that I had essentially no confidence any more, helped me get a better sense of the appropriate sight picture when leveling and flaring, and strongly suggested I stop attending my existing flight school. I personally felt that given what I had already invested that I should just tough it out and it was up to me to learn to control the plane despite the situation. I think that decision hurt this fellow's feelings alittle, as his advice seemed sincere! I took 3 more lessons at the flight school during June totaling 6.1 hours. The lessons were oriented towards landings including those in x-winds. The comments from the instructors were very positive as indicated in the log book and verbally for these17 landings.

I then had to be out of the country for a month and resumed training on July 11th; wherein after a 27 day layoff, the lesson involved 3 normal landings and 3 under different emergency conditions and were described as "good, unassisted landings". I then ran into major problems related to availability of the plane which was a lease-back and became popular for checkouts on the Garmin1000 and leasing for vacations (of the 200 hours or so total time on the plane I had been the renter nearly 30% of the time until then). Also I began running into difficulty regarding instructor availability. THIS WAS A CRITICAL TIME IN MY TRAINING I THOUGHT! In order to keep plugging onward I talked other instructors into getting my foggle time completed, but had to do it in a C-206. I had to go for 27 days between showing my primary instructor I had "got it" on June 11th and still "had it" on August 6th and 7th. I Finally soloed on August 7th after 52.1 total hours (37.2 in the C-182, 10.9 in a C-172, and 4 in a C-206).

During the remaining portion of August I have had 3 solo sessions totalling 3.9 hours devoted to practice and the short XC; only 2 lessons with my primary instructor involving landings at and operation within controlled airspace and a night flight with 6 landings instructor has been busy and does not know when we can complete the remainder of the night portion of the training; and 4 lessons with other instructors (due to instructor/plane unavailability and his taking a vacation- I realize he is entitled to a vacation) totaling 7.1 hours and involving landings, x-wind landings, and operation in controlled airspace.

At the outset, I spoke to the owner of the business that I was willing to fly regularly and often, that I wanted to be finished if possible by the end of August, that I wished to pursue an IFR immediately on finishing the PPL, and that I wished to purchase a new plane if things went smoothly. When plane/instructor availabilty became an issue I spoke to the owner about it. I felt that since I had been the single most often renter of the lease-back that perhaps some consideration should have been made for its availability during the critical phases of my training. Out of frustration, I cancelled my order for the plane.

I am disappointed that during critical phases of my training I had to go for long periods without the consisency of constant training with my primary instructor which caused me to farm out 36% of my lessons with other nice, well-meaning fellows, and good teachers. While this may seem to be an advantage to some; it has led to a considerable increased cost -around an extra $2500 (due to duplication and showing someone who hasn't been with you what you can and can not do).

My primary instructor feels he has no idea how much longer it will take to get me ready for my checkride (I am seripously concerned about how much more it will cost before I will be finished). I still need to complete the night XC flight, the long XC solo, and 3 landings at a controlled field, and further pre-checkride tuneups. It is now September with continued difficulty regarding instructor/plane availability. I have a total of 70 hours total time, 10.9 of which was at other flight schools. I have 179 landings. I have spent around $15,000.00.

I wish the lessons had been structured regarding firm lesson plans and completion goals and standards, I feel schools should look at their program and provide some certanty that students not waste money duplicating lessons, primary instuctors and the plane are available during the critical phases of their training.

I sincerely love having the opportunity to learn to fly and the wherewithall to do it! I don't think it should have been this expensive (admittedly I could have trained in their C-172 and saved around $3000) or this disjointed (in my case the last 2 months).

I encourage any response or guidance. Am I expecting too much? I realize I am fortunate compared to many others but I was quite clear at the outset that I wanted my training to be as efficient as possible. I have been diligent regarding showing up for lessons early and almost never cancelling them. When weather interfered with flying, I would at least use my instructor for further ground training as a means of supporting the school.
user_online.gif
redcloudView Public ProfileSend a private message to redcloudFind More Posts by redcloudAdd redcloud to Your Buddy List
post_old.gif
09-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the post. I don't think you are expecting too much. I understand your frustrations, and many of us have similar stories. It took me well over 100 hours before I took my ride, but then again I was training out of a Class B airport (Baltimore-Washington), and much of that time talking to controllers and navigating 30 miles away for practice paid off when I did my instrument training.

I don't think you should feel that money has gone to waste. The C182 is a noble bird, and you have the G1000 experience in there, too, which you can and will use in your IFR training. (Side note, though: I would encourage you to do a lot of your IFR training with a steam-gauge bird, too.) You should train and fly in something with which you are comfortable, like the Skylane. She's my preferred bird, with a C206 being my first choice for longer trips, once available in my area.

I stopped counting dollars after $10,000. If you love what you're doing, and can afford it, just keep at it. You have a lot more experiences in your flying career, and that will all go into the bank. You're closer than you think to that golden day!

One question: Are you training part 141? If so, you can start your IR immediately after getting your private.

OK, then you know you will need 50 PIC cross-country hours before you can start your instrument rating. The hours you put in as a student doing solo cross country do count.

Scott, unfortunately, sometimes the path of flight training ends up this convoluted. A lot of pilots have had similar problems. It's disappointing when you know how your training should logically progress, but flight schools, weather and circumstances muck up the works. It sounds like you are determined to get your ticket, so you'll find a way. :)

I have had my share of frustration trying to get aerobatic training. Have trained with several different instructors and none of them have trained me the same way with the same techniques. Very few of them actually know how to get the best performance out of my airplane (or me for that matter). Fortunately I have several mentors (at least three of them are on this forum) who listen to my frustrations and provide encouragement and endless support. That is what keeps me going.

I would encourage you to take Marty Mayes up on his offer. He's very knowledgeable and a great guy. :)

Scott;

Keep going you have the desire and it will work out. Sometimes the road is full of pot holes and curves that we do not anticipate. Stay with the plane that uyou started with the C-182. Switching planes just adds to the confusion. I know it is frustrating. I spent my training in rag wings and conventional gear (tail draggers) and then take the test in a early 172. It took me almost 5 hours to get use to the nose gear I was use to tail wheeled planes. Yikes I could not even taxi for I was so use to S turns and using controls to "Keep it straight'. Keep going and your day with your new ticket will be a great day for you.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

John J

redcloud said:
Scott, imagine if you will, a Venn diagram- you know the overlapping circles. Your ability to learn to fly is the overlap of:
(1) Your availability to fly
(2) Availability of the Aircraft
(3) Availability of the CFI
(4) Reasonable weather.

That's a tough foursome to get together. It's TOUGH getting them all together in midlife with a job and a family going at the same time. I don't think I could have done all the ratings had I had to start deNovo.

Some people join flying clubs with 3 or four C172s so that (2) is improved. Some purchase an aircraft- with the intent to sell after completion of trianing so that the cost isn't so dear. Some go to intensive courses to ameliorate (3). Many go to Florida or Arizona for (4), which means (3) changes. There's no single correct answer.

Join the Navy. They fix all of the above. (1) you're available 100% of the time, day, night, weekends. (2) Aircraft is always available. (3) The Captain is always barking at you, (4) Weather? Whazzat? This solution isn't correct for someone hard at work. Thre's no single solution. Just a bunch of fixes on 1,2,3 or 4.

Keep hammering, you eventually eat the WHOLE Pizza.

50 hours for $10,000, paid full in advance. Avg length of lesson = 2.1 hours. FBO also sells aircraft.

No matter how much #1-4 overlapped there is just no getting around an FBO who certainly had the incentive to NOT finish this student.

Richard said:
50 hours for $10,000, paid full in advance. Avg length of lesson = 2.1 hours. FBO also sells aircraft.

No matter how much #1-4 overlapped there is just no getting around an FBO who certainly had the incentive to NOT finish this student.
Here, here. NEVER pay in full in advance. Sigh.

Hey Scott,
You have got to keep going, I started my training in a 182, they are a blast to fly, and the power is awesome. Trust me, if i can do it, i promise almost ayone can!
There were times in my training when i was frustrated and there are still times now when i have a 2 or 3 of bad landings in a row and get frustrated. But stay with it, because the feeling you get when it squeeks down makes you forget all the ones that didn't.
Keep Flying!!

Like Ben, I also stopped counting dollars fairly quickly. I decided at the very beginning that scrimping in this business could be potentially deadly and therefore I shall not scrimp.

Like many many people, my PPL took longer than I thought it would. There was always "just one more thing" that my instructor said I needed to do before I'd be ready for the ride, and I sometimes got that nagging "Am I being strung along here?" feeling. I was Part 141, but even with all that supposed "structure", training is such an individual thing that it's hard to schedule anything very precisely. It'll happen when it can happen.

Your frustration is very common, especially the part about airplane availability. Even people who own their own airplanes get bitten by this one when mechanical issues come up. And then there's always the weather, which can push training back months if is happens to rain every Saturday for a while (for instance).

Remember that your PPL will be a license for the rest of your life! So once you've got it in your hot little hands and take off on your own for great adventures in the wild blue yonder, you'll be grinning so hard you'll wonder why an extra few months seemed like such a big deal. You'll get there!

--Kath

The school's new slogan: Ka-ching!

Everyone has been supportive of Scott. But I have a question: given that he is close to finishing and given that the school has some training issues, should he suck it up and stay at the school or should he move on to finish with someone else? I can almost hear Scott asking the same question.

For those who answer they are not sure yet, I ask how much more before you are sure? It seems Scott has at least 3 more flights before he is ready for the practical. What if it takes 10 more hours, not including the long x/c?

Well folks:

Your supportive comments are appreciated. I have spoken at some length with Marty and he has been extremely helpful. From early on I have had an ill-explained uneasy feeling in my gut that I things were jhust not right at the flight school. My fault or theirs matters little. I always thought prepaying was a way to tell someone you were in for the "long haul" and not just trying something out for fun. I have found 2 and possibly 3 places to help me finish. They include a person from S.Car. and one from Alburquerque, who are willing to come to me. I am also waikting to speak to American Flyers who advertise "finish up" courses.
I think it'll take around 20 hours; 1 or 2 for the person to assess my weaknesses, 3-4 for the long solo XC, 1 for the landings needed at a controlled field, 2 for the night XC, and a few left for precheckride tuneup. I am not trying to hurry it, but I had some personal reasons for wanting to finish before Oct. and those reasons still exist. I think I can realisitically be done by the middle of Oct. which would still work.

You folks are a good group, thanks again!

Scott

Scott,

As a long time DE I have ran into a like situation several times with students from a LARGE School in Oklahoma. It seems that some schools and instructors are more into how much time and instruction there can get out of a student than is he or She Ready?

I recall 2 students recently who had a like amount of experience and hours as you, but their finances ran out. They got ahold of an instructor at the Cessna factory and he finished them in short order. They both did an Excellent job on their check ride and are now Private Pilots.

I would not let a school drag me along just because they see dollar signs. I suggest a review from an instructor not connected with anyone.

Lots of Luck

Jim Belew

I've seen national averages for PPL posted at about 65 hours if memory serves. I've seen private and instrument and comm student do their ratings in the minimum FAA required times and some take over twice as long. Some students whine cause they soloed at 13 hours instead of 8 or less.

You are a student PIC with about 70 hours in three planes, two of which are high performance. You'll need about 12-15 hours to get checkride ready no matter where you go. That's not bad at the mid 80s to 90s in TOT hours considering all the aircraft flown, lapses in training and different CFIs I'd say. Since solo PIC endorsement, when I've had a CFI that seemed to be milking my funds, (occasionally happens) I just buckled down and flew to PTS & let them know it and that I would be repeating it on the checkride only, unless they had one damn good reason to do that task over again.

Not bathing for a while concomitant with severe halitosis can facilitate a timely decision by the CFIs as well but, should be reserved only as a last resort to back up demonstration of skills to full PTS competency.

At this point for you, the main thing is you've soled and are on the verge of the checkride. When you get it, you can pragmatically expect to be virtually approved for solo in all three aircraft, so deduct that from your true PPL cost, which really should have been done completely in a SkyHawk. (I have a 6 foot 8 inch tall student/friend that trained and soloed in a C150 at 60 years of age, in minimal time !)

Bouncing around from plane to plane and CFI to CFI isn't as easy during primary and increased your personal PPL time but, it has made you a better pilot so you'll have that to enjoy. Might as well -you've already paid for it. Your hours represent more experience than the same number in only one model.

Regarding maintaining control authority that you alluded to initially in any flight maneuver, the most common thing I've seen is pilots being not only too slow and tentative in their inputs which gets them further and further behind the aircraft but they add to it by doing corrections maybe 80 % or 90 % of what is needed. And then the same for additional corrections to compound the problem. It sounds like you're past some of that since you soloed a few times but the attitude AND skills of making the nose of that airplane around you do what you want it to do -now, is mandatory towards continued safe operations in increasingly demanding conditions as PIC with PAX.

Syllabi with the ideal lesson plan and goal standards are real pretty on paper and I use them regularly but if somebody's hung up on something it can often be helpful to just continue and things eventually probably will come together instead of pounding away at a task until it reaches a certain level of proficiency.

Then the variables of weather and CFIs and student schedules mix everything up real good/bad sometimes and the syllabus must be adjusted to the whole real world training environment which should be no big deal, as strong flying involves primarily dealing effectively with unknown or rapidly changing conditions.

Flying has always been one of those things that demands a good bit more out of people in many aspects than most any other thing in life. Max out all your skills and you'll be able to handle both the flying and the CFIs or schools involved with providing the resources needed to pursue it safely, whether you've paid in advance or go hour by hour.

Last edited:
I'll say ditto, to the above. I think my CFI was waiting for *me* to tell him I was ready. I putz'd around for nearly a month before I woke up. I sat down with him and told him that I was ready to go. We did a mock checkride flight and then I did a "stage" check with another CFI just to make sure. The following week, I passed my PPL checkride. You're not alone, even though you feel lonely.

Lay-offs are the worse. Everytime I got more than a couple weeks without flight, my evil twin Skippy shows up to fly the plane. Skippy isn't dangerous, but I won't let him fly pax. I always get two flights in after any layoff before I trust myself with others.

Keep the faith.

I agree with Jim B. on this one. Take a ride with a CFI not connected to that school. You may be closer to your checkride than you think.

jbelew said:
Scott,

As a long time DE I have ran into a like situation several times with students from a LARGE School in Oklahoma. It seems that some schools and instructors are more into how much time and instruction there can get out of a student than is he or She Ready?

I recall 2 students recently who had a like amount of experience and hours as you, but their finances ran out. They got ahold of an instructor at the Cessna factory and he finished them in short order. They both did an Excellent job on their check ride and are now Private Pilots.

I would not let a school drag me along just because they see dollar signs. I suggest a review from an instructor not connected with anyone.

Lots of Luck

Jim Belew
And that's good advice. Just like getting your potential aircraft purchase throroughly rung out by an INDEPENDENT I/A.

NOT a DPE. Just an AME (& CFI)

jdwatson said:
I putz'd around for nearly a month before I woke up.

Just a quick lesson in Yiddish--don't use "putz," use "futz." Putz is something else. . . .

:redface:

There are a couple of statements that stand out in your original post:

redcloud said:
I was assigned a primary instructor.
That's how I got my first instructor too and it was a big mistake. After my second rating I became much more comfortable with the technique I now recommend. Interview potential instructors. Fly once or twice with the ones you like (this is cost effective) and choose the one who can best transfer skill and knowledge to you.

redcloud said:
local CFI who related hating training "doctors" because of their "inherent attitude"
I take it you're a physician. I'll say that choosing and dealing with a CFI has a lot in common with choosing and dealing with a physician.

The first thing to remember is who is employing whom the second thing is who has the expertise. The relationship works best if the one with the expertise lays out the options and educates the employer who then makes the decisions how to proceed.

I know a few CFI's who have the doctor's attitude of "I make the decisions here and I don't like to be challenged". I would venture to guess your local CFI didn't like teaching people who didn't accept that without question.

redcloud said:
I opted to take training in a C-182 with G-1000
This has been well discussed. The arguments against it are the time and money to get your private. The argument for it are the time and money are the same or better than to get your private in something else and getting comfortable in that aircraft. I'd say choose your goal then choose your aircraft accordingly.

redcloud said:
I wish the lessons had been structured regarding firm lesson plans and completion goals and standards
Go shopping! Some CFI's do.

redcloud said:
My primary instructor feels he has no idea how much longer it will take to get me ready for my checkride
This one is less clear. Students ask me that from day 1, and while I usually say I don't know, I do also venture a guess. I believe flight instructing is much more like sports coaching than university lecturing. The pace is set by the student's progress.

Good luck, keep flying. If you're like me (and it sounds like it) we have to work hard for all the skills we learn. I make up for it by getting an irrational sense of accomplishment when I finally do get it.

Joe

Last edited:
wangmyers said:
Just a quick lesson in Yiddish--don't use "putz," use "futz." Putz is something else. . . .

:redface:

Ben,
If you saw the time/cash that I wasted flying pattern after pattern and landing after landing... I was trying to be perfect but I was already flying at PTS standards for quite some time. I was a "putz" for not being clearer with my CFI. I had just under 100 hrs and over 300 landings when I went for my PPL checkride. I should have taken my checkride 2 month earlier and been out flying getting real aviation experience instead of trying to perfect my traffic pattern. I though flying more patterns would make me more confident. In the end, it was a simple decision to stop flying like a student and fly like a PIC. With that decision made and communicated to my CFI, the checkride was completed about a week later. That PIC thing is what he was waiting for.

Thanks for the Yiddish lesson, I maintain I was behaving putz-like. :)

jdwatson said:
Ben,

Thanks for the Yiddish lesson, I maintain I was behaving putz-like. :)

LOL! Yep, I too was a putz!

i share the fustration scott. having to work around a CFI's schedule who likes to take sundays and sometimes entire weeks off makes for much slower learning.

he would also forget where i was at, sometimes telling me we were gonna do what we did last time at the beginning of the lesson .. before i reminded him we already did that.

i recently switched instructors, went up for 1 lesson, and then he had to get knee surgery. put him out for 3 weeks because of the meds.

i need to re-solo at this new airport. i even still need to do my written. my goal was to be done by july, but at this point i'll be happy if i'm done this year.

i feel like i'm running but someone is holding me off the ground by the back of my shirt.

hang in there though, as will i. i know the reward will be well worth the wait.

Mike:

Thanx for the response. Good luck to you too! Patience is one of those virtues I am trying to cultivate; however despite my best efforts the soils a little stoney and it hasn't rained in a while!

Scott

Back