New member on Christmas

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
Merry Christmas MC.
Please take a look at new members on Christmas. There is a new member with a name that is not acceptable. For a reference, go to member list and look for "barbie" with a slang term for female genitalia attached behind "barbie".
Thank you,

Three sites that I admin as email exploders got hit with much more spam today than in the past few months.

New computer owners already getting in trouble for opening things they shouldn't have. New wave of zombie machines.

You are probably right on that. They just turned it on, fired it up and started surfing. They have yet to install all the protective software.

Many of them didn't have to. More than ever, many of the new computers are Macs. :rolleyes:

Many of them didn't have to. More than ever, many of the new computers are Macs. :rolleyes:

My idoit brother in law managed to get something onto my mom's MAC that is now giving her pop ups all the time. I had been pretty stingy on what she could load up on it. He went and got a bunch of shareware computer games for her, some of which came with adware. Now I am searching all over the place trying to find the offending piece of software.

My idoit brother in law managed to get something onto my mom's MAC that is now giving her pop ups all the time. I had been pretty stingy on what she could load up on it. He went and got a bunch of shareware computer games for her, some of which came with adware. Now I am searching all over the place trying to find the offending piece of software.

Really? Heh.

It shouldn't be too hard to see what's running. Look at the programs that start on login in her account. That's in System Preferences-->Accounts her user name, login items

Go to the terminal and type "top." Note the process number of anything that doesn't belong. Q to quit.

kill nnnnn
with the number until he pop ups stop.

You could search for the program name in spotlight and just trash it.

Took my one week old (company purchased) macbook to the Genius Bar today because the battery wasn't recognized. Bad battery after one week.

Took my one week old (company purchased) macbook to the Genius Bar today because the battery wasn't recognized. Bad battery after one week.

You didn't go and run it down, did ya? ;)

It's probably a Sony battery, same as the rest.

Honestly, I was not impressed with the build quality of my MacBook Pro. I think they're having issues with some of the contract manufacturing firms.

Honestly, I was not impressed with the build quality of my MacBook Pro. I think they're having issues with some of the contract manufacturing firms.

Classic sign of a failing company. I've said it before - the iPod is keeping Apple alive, and more and more people are tired of its limitations and going with the better and cheaper alternatives.

I give Apple less than 5 years unless they do something drastic and come up with something new and big (like an IBM compatible PC that runs Windows natively).

Classic sign of a failing company. I've said it before - the iPod is keeping Apple alive, and more and more people are tired of its limitations and going with the better and cheaper alternatives.

I give Apple less than 5 years unless they do something drastic and come up with something new and big (like an IBM compatible PC that runs Windows natively).

Heh. Nick, "IBM compatible" went out with the 286 chip. IBM never made a PC with a 386. Compaq did. Dell did, but it was called "PC Limited" then.

Every Intel Mac runs Windows natively. Most owners like Steve Gibson are amazed when they find fewer and fewer reasons to boot into Windows on theirs. Gibson formated his drive with half for Windows. Then he reformatted and made it 20GB for Windows. Then he reformatted it with no Windows partition. I didn't make a a Windows partition in the first place only virtual.

Cmdr Taco of Slashdot made a prediction like yours,. When it was released, he said the iPod was "lame."

Really? They sold four this year? Cool.

You do know that when we take over your name is gonna be on the list.

Love him or hate him, Bill Gates has been pretty successful over the years, but he's never been much of a prognosticator. Back in the early '90s he prophesied that the "internet will never amount to anything." He followed that up in 2004 with an airy dismissal of the iPod during an interview with Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: "I don't think the success of the iPod can continue in the long term, however good Apple may be."

Gates was forced to eat crow on that one, too, which he did this year in a speech at Stanford University, where he described the iPod as:

"... phenomenal, unbelievable, fantastic."

- - -
"I would buy a Mac if I didn't work for Microsoft."

Not a lame quote but definitely a foot-in-mouth pronouncement, coming as it did from Microsoft executive Jim Allchin in an e-mail to Messrs. Gates and Ballmer. Naturally, it found its way out the door. The lame part came later, when Allchin felt compelled to "clarify" things in a follow-up e-mail released to the press:

"In the e-mail, I made a comment for effect about buying a Mac if I was not working for Microsoft. Taken out of context, this comment could be confusing."

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72320-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

Last edited:
Love him or hate him, Bill Gates has been pretty successful over the years, but he's never been much of a prognosticator.
How about: "Nobody will ever need more than 640k of RAM."

OK, maybe not a direct quote, but a pretty short sighted business decision.

And the whole Y2K mess.

-Skip

How about: "Nobody will ever need more than 640k of RAM."

OK, maybe not a direct quote, but a pretty short sighted business decision.

And the whole Y2K mess.

-Skip

He never said that.

Quotes attributed but not verified to Bill (Darth Windows) Gates

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!" -- Bill Gates, 1981

"Windows 95 needs at least 8 MB RAM." -- Bill Gates, 1996

Microsoft is not about greed. It's about innovation and fairness.
Bill Gates

People everywhere love Windows.
Bill Gates

I love my Mac. I am not courageous enough to get a tattoo, though, like this Apple-fan.

appletatoo2.jpg

This classic one is even better:

appletatoo.jpg

(Sorry, slow day at work, I guess.)

You do realize I'm going to rub your face in this in five years. :D

People have been saying things just like you're saying for well over 20 years. Apple is not going anywhere. I'd say that even if the iPod didn't exist.

I should have qualified my statement. My MacBook Pro's build quality is not as good as I've come to expect FROM APPLE. It is still better than any Dell/HP/take-your-pick-PC laptop I've come across. Just not as much better as it used to be. :yes:

Uhh... Like the one I'm using right now? :dunno: I *can* run Windows. I choose not to, although it has occured to me to install Windows just for FSX. However, given what folks are saying about system requirements, a laptop isn't gonna cut it I don't think.

I use one Windows program right now, for doing my logbook, under a system called "CrossOver" which allows me to run Windows programs without actually running Windows (I guess it's an offshoot of WINE for Linux).

I'm glad I have that capability, but I'm also really glad they didn't put an "intel inside" logo on it. At least this way I can fool myself... :rofl:

I like the symbolism. Apple turns her on! (That's a power button icon in the middle of the Apple logo.)

I've got a polo shirt from Thinkgeek with the power symbol on it. Wondering how many of my coworkers will realize what it means.

As for the idea that Apple is going anywhere, sorry, but the Mac platform is a workhorse and anyone in graphics design or audio/movie editing will gladly back up that statement.

but the Mac platform is a workhorse and anyone in graphics design or audio/movie editing will gladly back up that statement.

Yep, and there must be hundreds of them. Possibly a few dozen that will need a new computer in the next year. Heh.

Yep, and there must be hundreds of them. Possibly a few dozen that will need a new computer in the next year. Heh.

Apple experienced year-over-year growth of 30.1% in the latest quarter, compared to 7.9% for the industry as a whole. To be exact, 134,166 dozen (1.61 million) people bought a Mac in Q306, and of those who purchased a Mac from an Apple retail store, 40% had never purchased a Mac before. Apple's US market share also grew to 6.1 percent, #4 behind Dell, HP, and Gateway.

For the obstacles Apple has to overcome to make these sales (number 1 being the fact that most businesses don't even consider them and devour Dells like they're at the Old Country Dell Buffet), that's pretty impressive.

134,166 is a few? Man, I don't even make a few dollars a year then! :goofy:

Back