New Member, New Pilot!

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
Hey all!

I just recently passed my PPL checkride on 4/2. It was a breeze.. but I must admit that I am a bit obsessed with aviation and studying.
I just flew my first XC with some family 2 days ago from KTTA to KCRE (108nm, 216nm round trip).

I made a video that I'll post later on tonight..
I got some instrument books already from Jeppesen because I want to start my IR asap, but I'd like to know what the cheapest way to go about it would be :dunno:

Thanks all!

Welcome I did the self study route for the written hooked up with a good instructor for the flying part. I prefer to do the self study material for all my writtens.

Read all the instrument books cover to cover and knocked out the written before I did any flying. Flew with a safety pilot as much as I could and utilized the simulator the FBO had.

Thank you all for your replies!

The requirements for the IR state that only 15 hrs dual flying with an instructor are needed. Does that mean that I could go up with him for only 15 hrs and do the rest by myself? (with a safety pilot)
I ask because as you guys mentioned, I did the self-study as well and I was satisfied with my results, and I am trying to save as much money as possible

Thank you all for your replies!

The requirements for the IR state that only 15 hrs dual flying with an instructor are needed. Does that mean that I could go up with him for only 15 hrs and do the rest by myself? (with a safety pilot)
I ask because as you guys mentioned, I did the self-study as well and I was satisfied with my results, and I am trying to save as much money as possible
That's correct. You probably want to go up with an instructor as much as possible just so you're not learning bad habits. Plus you'll learn a lot more with a CFI than a safety pilot. Take advantage of an approved simulator if your school has one. That is one way to cut down on costs.

Yeah 15 hours minimum with the instructor but I'd spread it out through different parts of the 'curriculum'.

For example, fly with the instructor and work on basic IR maneuvers - airplane handling stuff - then go practice with a fellow pilot. Come back to the instructor for tracking courses, holds, and DME arcs and maybe an approach or two then go back to the safety pilot.

I'd save the majority of instructor time for near the end for approaches, long IFR XC, and ride prep.

You can work on IR stuff concurrently with your 50 hours of required XC time if you have a flexible safety pilot who's willing to go on XCs with you. The only caveat to that approach is that it helps to have some background from an instructor before you attempt maneuvers or procedures for the first time - just to make sure you don't develop bad habits.

Yeah 15 hours minimum with the instructor but I'd spread it out through different parts of the 'curriculum'.

For example, fly with the instructor and work on basic IR maneuvers - airplane handling stuff - then go practice with a fellow pilot. Come back to the instructor for tracking courses, holds, and DME arcs and maybe an approach or two then go back to the safety pilot.

I'd save the majority of instructor time for near the end for approaches, long IFR XC, and ride prep.

You can work on IR stuff concurrently with your 50 hours of required XC time if you have a flexible safety pilot who's willing to go on XCs with you. The only caveat to that approach is that it helps to have some background from an instructor before you attempt maneuvers or procedures for the first time - just to make sure you don't develop bad habits.
that sounds like a good idea. I have a buddy that is about to get his license as well and he wants to share the expenses and fly all the time.. so perfect!!
Welcome, Marco!
Polo!
Marco!

Back