New member near KSDL

Goornogo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Goornogo
Just wanted to start with a quick hello and intro to the community. Officially out of "Rusty Pilot" status after 21 years of life intervening. No real plan, just see which way the wind takes me. Passed the Instrument written a couple of weeks ago and now time to get on with the air work. Intend to pursue a TW endorsement in the fall sometime. Would love to own a Kitfox. While owning a Kitfox is unlikely, it is still fun to dream!:) Anyone on PoA in the PHX area with a Kitfox?

Looking forward to the discussions and perhaps meeting some of you. Have a great day!

Welcome...I also did the "life intervening" sit out...Only 15 years for me (got back into flying 4 years ago).

Welcome back to the sky. I did a 25 year break. It comes back pretty quick. Have fun. There’s a few Phoenxians around here. Or is that Poenixeites

Welcome...I also did the "life intervening" sit out...Only 15 years for me (got back into flying 4 years ago).

Thanks! Coming from an area where there was me and perhaps one or two others in a 25nm radius, the airspace here is a bit busier. I think a Stratux box is in my future!

Welcome. I live very close to KSDL (Hayden & Thompson Peak) and did my Private at KSDL. I now have Cherokee 140 that I own with my dad at KDVT.

Kitfox would be cool...trying to be the next Trent Palmer? :p

Thanks! Enjoyed a few hours in a 140 back in the day. Spent an hour or so in the pattern at KDVT about a little over a month ago to get familiar. That day, there was no such a thing as a standard pattern. Everything was extended. Let's just say it was "interesting" trying to keep the plane I was following in sight. However the the controller was great and exhibited extreme patience. Perhaps we will meet up one day. Have a good one!

Welcome. I live very close to KSDL (Hayden & Thompson Peak) and did my Private at KSDL. I now have Cherokee 140 that I own with my dad at KDVT.

Kitfox would be cool...trying to be the next Trent Palmer? :p

Sorry, missed the Trent Palmer part. I can only say that he appears to have a pretty good gig...and deeper pockets! Love his videos though!

Thanks! Enjoyed a few hours in a 140 back in the day. Spent an hour or so in the pattern at KDVT about a little over a month ago to get familiar. That day, there was no such a thing as a standard pattern. Everything was extended. Let's just say it was "interesting" trying to keep the plane I was following in sight. However the the controller was great and exhibited extreme patience. Perhaps we will meet up one day. Have a good one!

Ha yea you were dealing with the Korean and Chinese Airforce over at Deer Valley. Two big flight schools there that cater to them.

Yea for sure! There a few people on here in AZ that have met up, but I haven’t actually met anyone on here yet.

Yea Trent Palmer seems like a cool guy. He started out just filming some of his friends skiing in Tahoe and then started filming from RC helicopters (before drones were a thing). Then eventually got into high end drone filming. He owns a company called Copter Kids and does a lot for the Hollywood film industry, commercials, etc. He definitely makes some good money...he’s building his own air strip and home up in the mountains in Reno.

I’ve got about 6 hours in a Great Lakes, 1 hour in a Decathlon and 1 hour in a Pitts S-2C, but don’t have my tailwheel rating yet

Endorsement or not, cool experiences! A few hours of aerobatics would be fun but also helpful if you end up in an upset situation. I know that Chandler has the GL and I have considered doing my TW there in a Super Cub. Sounds like a quality program. If I don't do it in Chandler, I think I will likely do it as a mini-vacation in Reno at https://advflying.com . I became very interested in Fred's operation as I can continue to do backcountry training with him at a later date after I get some TW time. Meanwhile, I am going to work on the IR, probably with Aerodyne at KSDL and I am on the waiting list with Phoenix Flyers.

Endorsement or not, cool experiences! A few hours of aerobatics would be fun but also helpful if you end up in an upset situation. I know that Chandler has the GL and I have considered doing my TW there in a Super Cub. Sounds like a quality program. If I don't do it in Chandler, I think I will likely do it as a mini-vacation in Reno at https://advflying.com . I became very interested in Fred's operation as I can continue to do backcountry training with him at a later date after I get some TW time. Meanwhile, I am going to work on the IR, probably with Aerodyne at KSDL and I am on the waiting list with Phoenix Flyers.

I did the aerobatic course at Chandler in the Great Lakes. I wrote and article that was published in Sport Aerobatics. You can find it in the Aerobatics section of PoA if your interested in reading about my experience. It was awesome. I’d like to go fly some more Aerobatics, but I only have so much money haha. I just got my IR about a month ago and working on my Commercial now. I got my Private through Scottsdale Executive and they are awesome. I highly recommend them.

I would love to do a back country course. Bush Air was out at Pleasant Valley but he isn’t there anymore. He is at Kidwell which is a ways away :(

Just wanted to start with a quick hello and intro to the community. Officially out of "Rusty Pilot" status after 21 years of life intervening. No real plan, just see which way the wind takes me. Passed the Instrument written a couple of weeks ago and now time to get on with the air work. Intend to pursue a TW endorsement in the fall sometime. Would love to own a Kitfox. While owning a Kitfox is unlikely, it is still fun to dream!:) Anyone on PoA in the PHX area with a Kitfox?

Looking forward to the discussions and perhaps meeting some of you. Have a great day!

Welcome! Just got back in myself last year after an 11 year layoff. Working on my commercial.

Speaking of Kitfox, check out this guy's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4SXMZsFPZMFN5-3UuF-k6w

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and congratulations on your return to leaning! Yes, Trent sure seems to have a pretty good gig. His plane is awesome! I enjoy watching his videos. I should probably stop watching as it is potentially bad for my financial health

Congratulations on the IR and good luck on your pursuit of the commercial! Sonny Weller does some aerobatic instruction there at DVT in a beautiful Extreme Decathlon. I might check that out in the future if he is still instructing when I get around to it.

Howdyyyyyy! Welcome to the madness, and it's not March I'm talking about.

Congratulations on the IR and good luck on your pursuit of the commercial! Sonny Weller does some aerobatic instruction there at DVT in a beautiful Extreme Decathlon. I might check that out in the future if he is still instructing when I get around to it.

Yep I actually thought about getting my TW endorsement with him.

Back