New member, career change, Coast Flight Academy

No I wouldn't have posted here if I didn't want advice, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for what they are suggesting, I'm just laying out my thought process as I see things that's all, so people can better understand where I'm coming from and that it's not some whim decision I made after a few beers last weekend, or that I think the grass will for sure be greener on the other side. I do know in the few times I've been up in a small aircraft I never felt so happy as I was being up there.

I'm a little surprised nobody has said "hey that seems like a good deal" It seems to me that there is no "easy" way to make it in this career field, but I thought that finding a school where I could get 50-60k worth of training paid for, while receiving a little bit of living expenses, more people would be like shoot, if you can get your training and not have to worry about being in debt for it, go for it.

I could certainly stay here and work a job I'm not happy at in a place I'm not happy living and get the same training in probably 3-4 years, but unless I want to hit 1500 hours at 40 years old, I'm going to have to quit and work full time as an instructor at some point anyways.

I'm an analyst for a living I look at everything from multiple angles trust me. I'm under no grand illusion that it's going to be all sunshine and puppies, I'm sure there will be days where even if I make it to a major I'll not want to go to work. I totally understand where you are coming from too AggieMike, but I also see the other side of things, which is that unless you are willing to take some risks in life you aren't going to ever be happy. I'm sure I could stay in the field I'm in and bounce from contract to contract and make decent money for the rest of my life, but I won't be happy so what is the point? I do understand that there is a lot that could go wrong in the process, sure Coast Flight could go out of business and I'd be left high and dry, but the same could happen at any flight school. I think it would be different if I LOVED what I was doing, or I had major stability, or had invested a ton of money to get to where I am (think Dr or Lawyer), but the fact is I don't have any student loans, I don't own a home, I don't have a family to support, and I just genuinely am not happy doing this anymore.

I dunno, I guess its hard to explain. I do appreciate all the comments though

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised nobody has said "hey that seems like a good deal" It seems to me that there is no "easy" way to make it in this career field, but I thought that finding a school where I could get 50-60k worth of training paid for, while receiving a little bit of living expenses more people would be like shoot, if you can get your training and not have to worry about being in debt for it go for it. student loans, I don't own a home, I don't have a family to support, and I just genuinely am not happy doing this anymore.

I dunno, I guess its hard to explain. I do appreciate all the comments though

Your plan is good. I think the difficulty is acquiring the hours after you've received all the appropriate certificates and ratings. It's a haul but I did it by instructing, flying Part 135, and corporate, then got on with a regional. The outlook as I mentioned is wide open for the next 10-15 years for pilots at the airlines. Go for it now especially if you think 20-30 years from now you'll regret not doing it. Good luck!

Is there any demand for what you do for a living in San Diego? I'm getting the feeling that your field is limited to government or associated work, but maybe not? Do you have some other skill to help support yourself while you are in school?

Part of me wants to say you're still young (32 is young), with no family responsibilities, and the only one you would be hurting if it doesn't work out is yourself, so go for it. Another part of me says that you don't even have a private yet, and probably are looking at the profession with the rose colored glasses that AggieMike mentions, so it might be better to take the toe in the water approach.

Sorry if that wasn't any help. :redface:

I've also know quite a few career-changers who chose aviation, but they changed careers at absolutely the wrong time (late 1990s)....

Last edited:
In your position, all you have to do is support you, I say go for it. If you had a family to support I would be more reserved. If it doesn't turn out you can always go back...Maybe... If this is a dream do what it takes and don't look back. You seem prepared enough to know that it might not be what you think it is and if your okay with that and have the GIBILL support go for it. You don't want to be 70 years old wishing you would have gone for it.

Now I'm not sure if you are talking GIBILL or Post 9/11. I used every drop of my GIBILL getting my BS and masters. Then I switched it over to the Post 9/11 benefit and I got another 13 months of entitlement. So if that's the case you may have a bit more entitlement. I already had my PPL and used my Post 9/11 bill to get my Instrument at American Flyers accelerated course in Dallas. Dallas is cheaper cost of living and I know they have a airline track as well and I know they take Post 9/11 benefits. But...here is the catch. You have to pay up front and then you get reimbursed by the VA for it once you graduate the 141 school. At least that is how it worked for my Instrument course.

I'm a little surprised nobody has said "hey that seems like a good deal" It seems to me that there is no "easy" way to make it in this career field, but I thought that finding a school where I could get 50-60k worth of training paid for, while receiving a little bit of living expenses, more people would be like shoot, if you can get your training and not have to worry about being in debt for it, go for it.

If you go into it with a good understanding of the cons of the situation, this is a very good opportunity for you to take advantage of.

The advice around what you should be aware of is very good. It won't be easy. You will likely have to reduce your lifestyle, you may have to take on a roommate and live in lesser style than you do now, you may have to get a part-time job. But if you can deal with all of that, at the end of the training you will have the skills and certifications (and with a program like this - a first job) without debt.

You're young and have no responsibilities beyond yourself - if you have confidence in your decision and are ready to apply yourself to the training and lifestyle, there is no better time or opportunity to do this. You've obviously been successful in gaining skills and being presented great opportunities in the service and in the contract world. Do that again and I'm sure you'll be successful in this too.

Only you can decide at the end of the day if this is a good move. IMHO, however, it's a very good opportunity if this is a career you want to pursue.

Best of luck in this decision!

Last edited:
.... If I'm going to face those things I'd at least like to be facing them doing something I love, vs something that I don't get excited about.

.....but I'm surprised someone on a pilot forum is trying to convince me not to be a pilot :(

Indeed, life is very short and not certain, live with no regrets.

As far as the second part, many of the folks here telling you not to be a professional pilot are engineers, computer workers and such, even though they aren't professional pilots they love to say how bad the profession is :rolleyes2:

I fly for a living and I love it, been doing it for a while and it's not really work, heck on my days off I love to fly my own plane and go to fly ins.

The thing I've seen in the profession is this, folks who are going to make it don't ask if it's a good idea or if they should, they are going to do it and will make it happen period, no discussion or debate.

If that describes you, jump in with both feet. Since you're talking about funding an expensive education on the American citizens tab, especially in this economy and with the level of taxation and inflation today, PLEASE follow through COMPLETLY if you go down the path.

It's a hard industry to get into, but for the folks like I described it's well worth it.

Last edited:
As far as the second part, many of the folks here telling you not to be a professional pilot are engineers, computer workers and such, even though they aren't professional pilots they love to say how bad the profession is :rolleyes2:
I will say that I'm a professional pilot, and I can see both sides. My career worked out fine, but I know quite a few people who probably had regrets. Part of the reason for that is what I alluded to in my previous post. Timing is everything.

Really appreciate all the comments guys. I don't know a soul in the profession so really I guess I just wanted a place where I could bounce my ideas off and get some feedback. Family and friends are all very encouraging but obviously aren't in the profession so can only give me advice based off knowing me and the kind of person I am.

Really I think this is the type of decision I have to either go all in on, and give everything I can into making it successful, or give it up. At the end of the day, I guess I feel more comfortable taking a chance with the knowledge that I may very well fall flat on my face, vs always wondering "what if" every time I take a flight or see a plane fly overhead.

Really impressed with the feedback I've received thus far though :)

Have you talked with Guard/Reserve recruiters? Regular AF recruiters won't be of help because of what you mentioned. As I wrote, Guard hard to get a pilot slot while AF Reserve a bit easier. Of course there's a flight physical and a ton of tests to go thru. I spent 24 years at a regional so feel free to pm me w/ any questions.

I talked to a Guard recruiter, but he was at the base I worked at when I was active duty so I think he is more geared towards keeping people in that kind of profession. I'll give it a shot and talk to someone at a different location.

I will definitely pm you with some questions soon if you don't mind, thanks for the offer!

Is there any demand for what you do for a living in San Diego? I'm getting the feeling that your field is limited to government or associated work, but maybe not? Do you have some other skill to help support yourself while you are in school?

Part of me wants to say you're still young (32 is young), with no family responsibilities, and the only one you would be hurting if it doesn't work out is yourself, so go for it. Another part of me says that you don't even have a private yet, and probably are looking at the profession with the rose colored glasses that AggieMike mentions, so it might be better to take the toe in the water approach.

Sorry if that wasn't any help. :redface:

I've also know quite a few career-changers who chose aviation, but they changed careers at absolutely the wrong time (late 1990s)....

There are jobs that require a clearance, but most of it is Navy stuff (which I don't really have any experience with), or IT stuff (which I also don't really).

I am hopeful that with my resume I can find myself a decent job while I am out there, I know for a fact I'm going to have to work, but working and school is certainly nothing new to me. I finished my degree while I was deployed in Afghanistan working 15 hour days. I also did a year towards my masters at George Washington University while working as a contractor full time and commuting at least 2 hours a day to get to class and maintaining a relationship with someone an hour away haha, I'm pretty good at multitasking. I'm more or less concerned with making a living while flight instructing, but I don't think there is any way around that.

Is your current job/credentials something you can fall back on? You're young and not tied down. If you understand the potential downsides and are still excited about it, follow your dreams. This advice is from a guy who is not a pro pilot but has successfully changed careers to follow money and dreams for different career choices. If it turns out not to be all you ever dreamed of it sounds like you have the credentials to get back to a gig that can support flying as a hobby. Although I've always tended to leap first and figure out details as I went, that becomes more difficult as you become more rooted with family and mortgage and whatnot.

Last edited:
I change my answer. Go for it. You are young enough to recover if the flying thing doesn't fly. And it looks like it will be no/low debt. So yeah, full speed ahead. I am guessing you will need a lifestyle change from the consumption habits of a well paid urban professional. But whatever you'll figure it out. Go get some sky.

After having flown when I was 16 and not finished then and come back around 30 years later to start flying again, I often wonder what my life would have been like had I taken that road at 16. Hindsight being what it is...

At any rate, I would love to pop holes in your dream bubble, but if you jump in with your eye completely open and know what youre getting in to, Id say jump.

Save as much money as you can before you start, do NOT go into debt to get it done, and live like a broke college student and you might make it. Its going to take some work! Have fun and good luck!

Thanks guys.

As far as downsizing, yup already been working on that. Traded in my Jeep last weekend for a Corolla, saving about $200 mo there plus gas savings and the Corolla should get me through the next 5-6 years with minimal problems.

Glad to hear people are starting to say just go for it. I am blessed in knowing that even if I do fall flat on my face I'll never be to the point where I'm sleeping on the streets or something because I have family that will help me get back on my feet.

I'm recanting my previous position and now advising you to go all-in. You are in a position to either fly a lot of hours in whatever you can own and support, or work your way into a position to fly OP's airplanes, which leads to all kinds of interesting possibilities.

For instance, I'll probably never fly a twin turbine, but you certainly may. I envy that. And all you have to do is embrace the lifestyle - think of it like a monastic commitment...

I hear that flying FedEx Caravans out of Maui is a pretty attainable gig - how great would that be, for a couple years to build turbine time ?

BTW, I wonder if you know my nephew, Brian B - a grad of the AF Language Institute, he used to be in your line of work, at some 3-letter agency, reading the news in Pashto. He doesn't do that now, and is happier.

Do it. Don't burn any bridges. No "take this job and shove it" when you quit your present job.

Awesome, thanks for the advice/words of encouragement everyone.

As for jobs, of course I think most people want to fly for the airlines, but I honestly don't care where I end up. I just want to fly and get paid enough to make a living. Shoot, even if I'm flying for some small carrier down in the Caribbean or something not even making that much, I think I'd be happy

Corporate would be nice.... You have a little more of a choice in life. I'm right behind you on this one. I'm 32, burned out in a career that makes me too much money to quit, but just enough to afford a reasonably nice plane.

Check out these guys: http://www.calaero.com

They're an offshoot of Santa Barbara Business College (a fairly reputable, long standing regional private college that's been around since 1888)

Not paid by them, nor connected in any way, but they've just opened up in the old All Nippon Airways facility at KBFL, who's cost of living would be about a third of San Diego.

They also offer a bachelors program in conjunction with the training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't quite make sense that you don't want to stay in DC and live "paycheck to paycheck" as you self fund your ratings and hours on more than $8k per month income.

As soon as you quit and move to SD, you will live "paycheck to paycheck" on $1125 per month.

Something doesn't make sense.

Stay in DC, keep your day job. Move to a cheap apartment with a roommate or two. Eat cheap food, etc... Knock your ratings out after work and weekends.

You could be 1/2 way done by August.

Doesn't quite make sense that you don't want to stay in DC and live "paycheck to paycheck" as you self fund your ratings and hours on more than $8k per month income.

As soon as you quit and move to SD, you will live "paycheck to paycheck" on $1125 per month.

Something doesn't make sense.

Stay in DC, keep your day job. Move to a cheap apartment with a roommate or two. Eat cheap food, etc... Knock your ratings out after work and weekends.

You could be 1/2 way done by August.

My first advice was based on this thought. I'd guess he is spending a lot of money on what seems normal stuff. Normal when living in an expensive place with peers all making good money. Going dirtbag with the big salary then flying on the side seems a lot more palatable then going dirtbag while flying because you have to be a dirtbag to get by. At least in the former you can go back to your life of ease at any moment. But whatever no kids, no rules, no shame from me, full speed ahead.

Why would I stay and pay my own way when I can use my GI bill benefits that I worked so hard for to cover the cost of training? That's the thing. I don't think most people understand cost of living in DC (or how bad you get bent over in taxes as a single guy with no house, I mean BENT over). Sure, if I was living where I grew up in Ohio on this salary, I'd be doing VERY well off. I'm just middle class in DC, just above the median income. I live in an ok apartment close to work and I pay 1500 a month just for that. If I wanted to live in a bad area I could probably knock that down to 1100. It's outrageous out here.

Also, there is no way I could be halfway done by august ....weather here sucks a lot of the time, I work 9-5 m-f, and I couldn't afford to pay the cost to get everything by then even if it was physically possible.

I'm not going to be living off 1125 a month, I'm going to be working full time somewhere in SD as well, 1125 will basically cover my rent so I don't have to worry about that.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why it has to be SD? It's rather expensive to live there no? Since GI Bill won't pay for a private, maybe start that now where you are. Maybe you won't even like it? But start and finish the private there then move to dallas for a 141 program. Alot cheaper cost of living compared to SD and DC.

Air Guard units usually don't hire off the street pilot trainees.

That used to be the case, but it's just not true anymore. We certainly give a good hard look at guys in our unit that apply but it definitely NOT a requirement. I can't speak to every unit out there, but I do know it's true for all F-15 wings and many of the F-16 guys I talk with as well.

In the last three years we've sent 11 guys to UPT, only two were in our unit before being selected.

I know two young guys offered pilot slots for F-15 units off the street. One is currently at OTS. The other is waiting a school date.

This space intentional left blank.

Dude, go for it! You have little responsibilities other than yourself (ie. no family to support, etc) AND with the GI Bill taking care of the expenses, the debt shouldn't be an issue. Keep your expenses low and you'll be fine. People pull it off with families to support AND debt - and while I wouldn't recommend that, it has been done. If you have the passion, you'll never regret it and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. There's more to life than a high paying industry you aren't passionate about.

You of course must keep us posted as to your progress...

Ok so, after doing a crap ton of research, I actually found a program through Community College of Baltimore County which looks essentially the same utilizing one of a few local FBOs here. It seems the GI Bill will cover this program too, and I can take evening/night classes and fly in the afternoons and weekends. I'm a little worried that I won't get the same level of instruction and a little worried that the weather here will end up causing me delays, but the big thing is I'll be able to keep my job while I go through the program. Looks like I'll stay here and do that much as I want to get out of this place. I can save up and go flight instruct somewhere out west once I finish the program.

Is there a reason why it has to be SD? It's rather expensive to live there no? Since GI Bill won't pay for a private, maybe start that now where you are. Maybe you won't even like it? But start and finish the private there then move to dallas for a 141 program. Alot cheaper cost of living compared to SD and DC.
GI Bill covers everything if it's part of a college program, private included. At any rate, looks like I'm going to stay here and stay working full time while going through the program

Sounds like a good situation man - good luck!

GI Bill covers everything if it's part of a college program, private included. At any rate, looks like I'm going to stay here and stay working full time while going through the program
Sweet, have fun and keep at it!

That used to be the case, but it's just not true anymore. We certainly give a good hard look at guys in our unit that apply but it definitely NOT a requirement. I can't speak to every unit out there, but I do know it's true for all F-15 wings and many of the F-16 guys I talk with as well.

In the last three years we've sent 11 guys to UPT, only two were in our unit before being selected.

That's great to hear. I think in the past they liked someone already in their unit that they knew personally, which evidently was important to them knowing what they potentially were getting.

Ok so, after doing a crap ton of research, I actually found a program through Community College of Baltimore County which looks essentially the same utilizing one of a few local FBOs here. It seems the GI Bill will cover this program too, and I can take evening/night classes and fly in the afternoons and weekends. I'm a little worried that I won't get the same level of instruction and a little worried that the weather here will end up causing me delays, but the big thing is I'll be able to keep my job while I go through the program. Looks like I'll stay here and do that much as I want to get out of this place. I can save up and go flight instruct somewhere out west once I finish the program.
Glad you found out about that option. Good luck and keep us updated on your journey!

Sorry for the long response...
I’ve read your post and the comments others have made and you and I are in very similar positions in life. We are both single guys in our 30s and making good money and have the desire to fly professionally for a living. I started on my career path at 17, went to Embry-Riddle (although I didn’t graduate from there) during the time of the Sept. 11th attacks and got out of the industry once it basically went bankrupt and gave up on the idea of wanting to be an airline pilot. But every time I got on a plane and talked to the pilots (all gave different opinions), I decided to get back into it and pursue my dream. I’ve since gotten my PPL and took a year to time build before starting my IFR/Comm training (IFR check ride is Sunday) and Comm check ride is the following week (pending I pass the IFR ride). While I agree with most of what everyone on here says, (the pay sucks the first year, you have a good paying job, etc.) at the end of the day you have to do what makes you happy. Yeah you can wait another year to save money, but in that time you’ll be putting off your training for yet another year and in that time you could already be a CFII with at least 10 hours of multi time. I say go for it and let the pieces fall wherever they may. It’s not an easy journey as weather, instructors and planes all will cause you headaches and make you second guess your career decisions, but several before you have endured and succeeded and there’s no reason why you can’t do the same. You’re still young and if you’re in a job that does not make you happy, give it up and start doing something that does. I gave up $110K last year working for the government and it was tough at first (only because I had to adjust my lifestyle accordingly) but I feel like I’ve accomplished more in the past year personally than I did while working at a job that enabled me to travel, live in fancy apartments and buy cars I had no business buying. Go for it and let us know how you make out. I will keep you posted on my progress as well since I will be relocating to the San Diego area this summer to flight instruct since the weather here in Philadelphia is not ideal if you want to get to the airlines sooner than later.

Thought I'd post an update. So I've been flying out of pocket every weekend for about a month now, loving every minute of it. I'll be flying once a week on my own dime till school starts in September and 3x a week after that. Really just wanted to get a head start and hopefully will have some money to roll over to my instrument. Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

This whole discussion is kind of a joke. I'm really sorry I didn't see this back when you posted it. You have the GI Bill, a benefit you've earned due to your service in the U.S. military. Thank you for doing that. My suggestion is you use it. Whatever's left over can be paid off later, assuming it's not some astronomical figure.

Just make sure you do all of your instrument and commercial training with a Part 141 flight school. Make sure they are attached to a degree program (which you appear to already have done) and make sure this qualifies you for the 1,500-hour exemption for obtaining an R-ATP certificate, which is what is required to work for the airlines. An exemption allows you to obtain an R-ATP at 1,000 hours rather than 1,500.

Once you get the instrument and commercial done, go get your CFI certificate. This can be done at Podunk Part 61 Academy and does not need to be done at your school, although it might be convenient to work for them if they have openings while you're still enrolled there. Your military experience will come in handy as a flight instructor. Alternatively, you can tow banners or do sightseeing flights if you know the right people.

Your goal will then be to build hours and reach that 1,000 mark. Around 950 or so is when you start sending out applications to the airlines. I must also add that corporate pilot life can be a lot better, and you may be hired sooner than at the airlines. For a single guy with no kids, either are good options. In the Midwest where I'm from, it takes around 2 years to build 1,000 hours after completing a CFI certificate and doing that "full time." We are weathered out too much. If you're in San Diego, you can undoubtedly build all of your time within 18 months or less once you get your CFI.

Also, I have 10 buddies of mine who just started at a number of different regional airlines. They're not starting at $30k anymore. They're all single, minus one, and they all love what they do. I took up a rare opportunity in ATC, so that's why I'm not flying now, but if the FAA hadn't called me, I would be wrapping up my R-ATP flight time requirements and getting a more-than-halfway decent flying job, too.

Back