New Job 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by overdrive148, Aug 17, 2017.

1. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    sounds helpful. although if lower level mgmt would listen to this stuff to begin with, maybe people wouldn't leave. TAKE NOTE, eman1200's manager!!!!!!!

2. OkieFlyer

OkieFlyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew L.

Chris?

3. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    Who has two thumbs, a bad time on the radio, and a brand stinkin new flight review?

This guy!

1 hour on the ground and 1.1 on the hobbs. C172 out of Grand Prairie. Taxi, runup, takeoff, climbs, turns, slow flight, both types of stalls, emergency procedures, pattern entry, 1 touch and go and a full stop. Slight bounce on the touch and go.

And the cherry on top centerline greaser on the full stop.

I am on top of the world!

Now I have to figure out how to get my 107 online.

denverpilot and Kiddo's Driver like this.
  4. Kiddo's Driver

Kiddo's Driver Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    It is straight forward. It will take you maybe 1/2 a day. A day at most.

5. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    Okay, just finished the online FAA Safety course for Part 107 and aced the exam. Now I need to find a CFI willing to verify identity and then I get an emailed copy, correct...? Working on IACRA now.

//edit

IACRA application complete, now I just have to print out the paperwork and find a CFI. Just called up 2 schools and neither wants anything to do with the Part 107 signoff. My instructor this morning had never heard of it either.

The FSDO is up in Irving. I might have to drive up there.

//edit edit

The FSDO in Irving says they do walk-ins for Part 107 on Tuesdays from 12-4pm and Fridays from 8-12am. Looks like I have to wait until tomorrow...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    Pretty busy morning. Showed up to the FSDO this morning bright and early and got my temporary certificate Looks like I did everything right! I will get the real card in the main in about 2 months.

Right after I got out of the FSDO I got a phone call from my new boss asking how things were going. As it turns out, all of future co-worker pilots are all down in Corpus Christi. I will be heading to San Antonio to do HR paperwork early next week and then I'll be going straight into the frying pan in Corpus for who knows how long. Apparently hotels and places to stay are pretty short there and they are working out of a base camp. Not gonna lie, kind of nervous, never been to a natural disaster area but here goes nothing!

Also probably a good time to ask for any tips and things to avoid in such areas...

Kiddo's Driver likes this.
  7. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    That is so ridiculous. FAA has a decent doc out now on how instructors should handle 107 stuff and it's brain dead simple.

How in the world would a current instructor "not hear of" the drone stuff over the last few years?!

Kiddo's Driver likes this.
  8. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    So, update time!

I was in San Antonio for a couple days and then moved on to Corpus Christi for my first real flights. Lots of wind damage down there! Got to stay in an RV instead of a campsite which is pretty good.

Then I hauled everything back to DFW and have flown the last 3 days in the north Dallas area. Just a home or two a day, but now I'm getting 3-4. It is getting easier, my first home took nearly the allotted 2 hours (ground pictures and aerial shots) and now I'm down to an hour or so depending on the house.

I have 4 tomorrow and one of them is within spitting distance (500ft) of an approach end of a runway in North Dallas. Because of airspace I'm not required to stay low (up to 400ft) but I am going to because I'm not stupid. I don't have a handheld yet (or a car or a card) but they are working on that. I get to be that guy flying around... apologies in advance! I'll go as quickly as I can. :p

So far the company has been really hit hard by the hurricanes and everyone's in scramble mode. They are still trying to get my timecard set up (from my start date of a week ago) and send me the rest of the stuff I need to do my job. As well as reimburse me for my gas/mileage/hours/etc that I spent driving all around Texas. But the job is beginning to be fun instead of just stress. Airspace analysis, preflights, maneuvering, talking with homeowners and passerby's about the process, all kinds of fun! Seeing new areas in DFW that I've not been to before is pretty cool too.

9. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Wow... sounds like a good deal..!!

10. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    Just over the two month mark. Check this out!

[​IMG]

This is a (self generated) map of all of the houses I have flown for hail and wind damage in the DFW area. I am getting pretty good at it. Lots and lots of driving though. The job is going well but there are (with any job) minor frustrations and other things but I am dealing with them as they come.

The majority of this damage happened earlier this year in storm season.

11. Gerhardt

Gerhardt En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gerhardt
    It's been a while. Latest updates needed!

12. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    It has been pretty great! Went and flew a cell tower or two in AR which was fun:

[​IMG]

While I was there, my boss told me that I was very close to having the most (drone) flight hours in the company in only ~2.5 months. I am now 4 months in and I've clocked 63.5 hours of flight time, 180 inspections, and 389,000 ft flown.

So far I have only had one in-flight failure which was a gimbal gyroscope motor failure. The gimbal starting making some grinding noises audible from the ground. I landed the drone and called my boss about it and he said it was okay to fly and finish the last of the inspection. I took off, snapped a bit more of the house and the camera started wobbling all over the place. The most recent firmware update also made it so that the video feed would flip vertically occasionally in forward flight with the camera fully down. I didn't think it was possible to get spatial D from a drone! I landed without issue and drove down to pick up a replacement from the HQ. I got to travel with the wife for the first time on work's dime for that one, they even put us up in a hotel since it's a bit of a drive!

All in all, it's still a pretty great job. I took it up on Thanksgiving to show the in-laws how it works and did a mock inspection on their roof. The wife even flew it a little (just wait until I get current enough to fly her in the real thing!)

Gerhardt and Everskyward like this.