New Jersey student pilot looking for more

Hepburn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pierre
Hi guys!

I am a 26y-old student pilot in NJ and I would like to do more than flight/ground lessons in the world of aviation (I will leave the US at the end of the summer).

I recently attended a pilots meeting, sharing great stories at my local FBO, and I will attend again. I also have been to the McGuire, NJ airshow recently and I enjoyed it!

I was wondering if you had suggestions of obvious things to do - but not so obvious to me right now.

I was thinking about:
- meeting professional pilots to get life experience feedbacks
- visiting a control tower (maybe NYC tracon?)
- participate in the reparation of an airplane to know really what's behind the POH
- fly in airplanes other than a C152 (tailwheel, seaplane, aerobatics, gyroplane!..)

All of this revolves around knowing people in the world of aviation and I was hoping I could find them in this forum.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Pierre

While I cannot help you, I do suggest posting this in the Flight Following section for more exposure. Good luck.

Wanna do another airshow that's slightly different? Come to Jones Beach on Long Island, this weekend for the Bethpage Federal Credit Union airshow! They have it every Memorial Day Weekend and it's really a blast! A few years ago, I was amazed by the awesome performance of the F-22 Raptor doing a vertical climb and tailslide over the beach!

No static displays of course.

I missed McGuire this year because I had to work both days. I might have to work this Saturday too so I'll probably only make it to the Sunday show.

You should stop by 47N; it is a classic (and pretty old) small New Jersey airport with an excellent glider club (I am a member).
I give pretty good intro rides, but being a primary student you might want to go with one of our instructors. Also a good place to maybe hitch a ride in an airplane other than a 152. :D

http://southsidesoaring.com

Thanks for your answers!

I took your advice Legend and went to Jones beach airshow. It was really nice!
Note to myself: also put sunscreen on the feet next time.

rottydaddy, sounds good! Next time I do a cross-country I will try to land at 47N (never been there yet) and meet people there.

Adam, I'm a student a Princeton 39N.

Have a nice memorial day week-end,
Pierre

Thanks for your answers!

rottydaddy, sounds good! Next time I do a cross-country I will try to land at 47N (never been there yet) and meet people there.

Pierre
Log in here and leave a message introducing yourself. Join the group in their jaunts.
http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/

Go to this site, type in your airport identifier and distance. Fly in to events and introduce yourself.
http://www.flyincalendar.com/?m=6&y=2012&v=1

Go to an EAA flyin. Same thing: https://www.google.com/search?q=eaa+breakfast

Sign up with FAA Safety Team and attend some local meetings, get to know the FAASTeam and introduce your ideas. Talk to the folks.http://www.faasafety.gov/about/mission.aspx

Thanks for your answers!

Pierre

WoW! That's great! glad you enjoyed the airshow man. I go to the beach every year so yesterday I decided to hang out on the field at KFRG! Man what a treat!!!

Most of the aircraft were stationed at KFRG so I saw every takeoff, landing and flyby. The Raptor was stationed at KISP but he came by and made an overhead break and low approach down the runway before heading back out to KISP! AWESOME!!!

I took plenty of video but no still shots. You should have seen the hundreds of people lined around the airport fence:lol:

It was great being on the inside... I had a blast! My son(he's 7) enjoyed it but he didn't get the aviation bug so he took a nap or two:rofl::rofl::rofl:

"hey dad, how long is this airshow gonna last?"

"son, it ain't over til it's over"
:lol:

Attachments

• JOSH AIRSHOW.jpg
    JOSH AIRSHOW.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
oh by the way, I'm not a real Legend. My nephew called me that last week as I reached my 26th anniversary on my job. I told him thanks for making me feel old...I'm only 46:rofl:

ok, I lied. I did manage to take a few shots using the still photo feature of the camcorder.

Not great quality though.

Attachments

• PIC_0038.JPG
    PIC_0038.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PIC_0039.JPG
    PIC_0039.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PIC_0040.JPG
    PIC_0040.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PIC_0046.JPG
    PIC_0046.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 11
  • PIC_0043.JPG
    PIC_0043.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi guys!

I am a 26y-old student pilot in NJ and I would like to do more than flight/ground lessons in the world of aviation (I will leave the US at the end of the summer).

I recently attended a pilots meeting, sharing great stories at my local FBO, and I will attend again.

Pierre, you probably know that there is another meet and greet this Saturday. They're held by the FBO, but the Princeton Flying Tigers are the organizer. Joining them ($25) opens up links to many more flying opportunities. There are monthly organized fly-ins (June's is to Saratoga NY), and informal ones on just about any great weather day (there's one set up for tomorrow that I have to miss). There are always empty seats (its considered good manners to chip in a bit for gas). A good chance to experience other planes and airports. Plus there will almost certainly be members who can help with your other objectives.

http://paft-nj.org/

If you go Saturday, ask about them.

I LOVE this thread.

It's just...

...cool!

---

P.S. -

46 is NOT OLD!

Nice pictures Legend, I'm glad you enjoyed it with your son! Seating inside the airport is a smart move..

Aunt Peggy, thanks for the links, now I've got to browse and do my research!

I've been in touch with rottydaddy, I will stop by 47N as soon as possible.

bkspero, I will be at the meet and greet on Saturday and get in touch with the PAFT. I tried going through the online form registration a month ago but it looks like it ended up nowhere.

Thanks again all for your help!
Pierre

yes, it was great to have that privilege because there were hundreds of people outside the fence around the entire perimeter!

I took some awesome video! The Blue Angels taxied right past me to the runway then performed a formation takeoff! Numbers 1-4 and then 5&6 ...Incredible!

Upon returning from the beach, they flew right over our heads in the Delta formation and then did the break to land! Simulated carrier landing. That sent shivers up my spine!!! I'm still high from that:goofy:

If I could post a video here, I would share it.

Oh yeah, the Raptor was stationed over at Islip (MacArthur Airport). He came over and did an overhead break then a low approach down the runway before turning east back out to Islip! I got all the radio transmissions using my handheld.

I don't know if you've ever heard the Raptor but honest to god, when he slowed down and did his low pass, it sounded kind of spooky! I guess it was the engines. They seem to howl. The darnedest thing I've ever heard. Too cool:) :thumbsup:

Edit: just realized I'm repeating myself, guess I'm still excited:rofl:

Last edited:
I will be at the meet and greet on Saturday and get in touch with the PAFT. I tried going through the online form registration a month ago but it looks like it ended up nowhere.

Easiest thing to do is print out the form from the website, fill in your information, and hand it with a check for the dues to Dick Nierenberg at the meet and greet.

Hi guys,

I wanted to give a quick update on this topic.

I would like to thank the Princeton Flying tigers with whom I went on a fly-in to Cape May on a beautiful day!

I also wanted to thank rottydaddy, and his soaring club at 47N, who did not forget about me so we could finally meet last Sunday! My friends got their first rides they will never forget, thanks to him and the great guys we met there.

Pierre

That's the spirit!

I bet, in five years' time, we'll be able to reflect on your fun flying and how it all started with this.

Back