New Ipad restore

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I bought a new Ipad. After backing up my old ipad to the cloud I kicked off a restore to the new ipad.

During the restore, I lost contact to wifi, so I went to another area with a different wifi. The restore resumed, for a little while, then it stopped.
Now half my Icons are black (waiting to download) but they are stuck. Nothing is downloading. I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm def not an IOS expert. Haven't used it in several years
but I think I would start with this

I'm def not an IOS expert. Haven't used it in several years
but I think I would start with this
I tried that, but that didn't work.
However, I did re-initialize the ipad (erased all apps and settings) and kicked off another restore from Cloud Backup and it worked this time.

I traded in my 7 yr old failing Ipad Pro (with A10 chip) for another old 9th generation Ipad (A13 chip) for a total cost of $279.
The old one would have been fine but the screen was losing it sensitivity. Sometimes I had to touch the screen several times to get it to take and it was going to cost around $300+ to fix it. So I have a slightly better but brand new Ipad for less than that. It is plenty fast enough for FF which is it's primary use.

I'm getting a little frustrated that my Ipad 4 will not update IOS past 10 something. Even surfing the web is starting to get challenging as the browser is way out of date and even third party browsers require an IOS newer than what I have.

I'm getting a little frustrated that my Ipad 4 will not update IOS past 10 something. Even surfing the web is starting to get challenging as the browser is way out of date and even third party browsers require an IOS newer than what I have.
I was getting frustrated with a few little things (*and one big thing) on my 2017 Ipad Pro (A10 chip) but I thought a new Ipad would set me back >$1,100. It wasn't worth it.
But I found a 9th generation Ipad at Best Buy for $389, after discount. It's not the latest and greatest but it is better than my Pro and it cost less than it would have cost me to fix my Pro.
It has a better display,
Better battery,
It's lighter.
And faster.
* The "big thing" was that the pro was losing its "touch sensitivity". It was frustrating touching the FF map or the key board 3 or 4 times before it would react. The "new" one is so much better in that regard.

I was getting frustrated with a few little things (*and one big thing) on my 2017 Ipad Pro (A10 chip) but I thought a new Ipad would set me back >$1,100. It wasn't worth it.
But I found a 9th generation Ipad at Best Buy for $389, after discount. It's not the latest and greatest but it is better than my Pro and it cost less than it would have cost me to fix my Pro.
It has a better display,
Better battery,
It's lighter.
And faster.
* The "big thing" was that the pro was losing its "touch sensitivity". It was frustrating touching the FF map or the key board 3 or 4 times before it would react. The "new" one is so much better in that regard.
My 4 is bulletproof in that respect. It's built like a tank. I originally got it solely for Foreflight usage, and it was great for that. But, I've been using it for games, browsing, even Word editing on Onedrive. Falling victim to planned obsolescence does not sit well with me. I can't imagine a processor of the time to be a limitation in today's software.

But who am I to know. I was frustrated when I was unable to load Windows 10 on my 1985 IBM 386. I mean come on, it's a 386, right?

When all else fails on an iOS device you can put it in DFU mode and restore it with itunes. Note: you need a computer running the newest version of iTunes and a usb cable to connect your ipad to it in order to do this. Once you put it in this mode it will just show a message to connect the ipad to a PC until you complete the restore. Once in this mode and plugged into the computer iTunes should just detect it and give you a button to start the process.

Back