New iPad 2 64GB

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I don't want to go off-track on the other iPad threads, but I have other questions.
Today I bought a new iPad 2 WI-FI 3G 64GB(Apple Store in the Maine mall).

QUESTIONS: Before I arrived home there was a Receipt e-mailed to me, I having seen it on my iPhone while en route. There was also another e-mail:
The Receipt was also on my Desktop e-mail and I printed it for my files.
The 2nd one has been downloading on my iPhone for 1½ hours but it's not
also on my Desktop e-mail In Box. ????? The iPhone is downloading from
www.apple.com/ipad/?cid=CDM-US-DM. In all the download time the graph bar is only over to just before the DM. What is it? Perhaps an owner's manual?

I've given the iPad 2 a full charge and initially turned it ON, only to be held up by information about selecting "Network" et cetera. If I plug it into the PC will those factors get automatically loaded re my Fairpoint(DSL for e-mail)?
There's no instruction "booklet" in the package.

Note: my 'Hawk has the GNS 430w. That being the case can I negate certain apps applicable to ForeFlight. The little "sun" near "3G" on the iPhone is circle blinking, so something must be happening in the iPhone.
???????????????????????????????????????????????

HR

How come you bought the iPad 2 when the 3 is coming out shortly?

Either way, there is no instruction manual for the iPad.

Plug iPad into computer to activate iTunes. Follow registration and set up info. Once your done with that, you will be able to use your iPad.

You cannot use the iPad until you register it with iTunes.

Also, which 3G service pad did you buy? Verizon or AT&T?

The iPad is looking for the wireless network in your house. Or the 3G network both which you can set up from the iPad, it's in settings icon. There should be a manual on the iPad. Look for it under safari, but I forget if you need to at least connect to your network for it to go out on the web and find it.

Try this link from your PC.

http://help.apple.com/ipad/5/interface/

Last edited:
ForeFlight will provide chart publication service for the approach procedures and if VFR only, the VFR charts flight following and AF/D information. Can also do flight planing, weather briefing with your DUATS login, and flight plan filing.

There are a few different chart services for iPad, plus AOPA airports, DTC DUATS mobile, MyRadar and Aero Weather.

**** Followed suggestions in other threads re getting 64GB and if I didn't really NEED the differences between "2" and "3."

Plug iPad into computer to activate iTunes. Follow registration and set up info. Once your done with that, you will be able to use your iPad.
**** Am plugged in. The iTunes I already had was to be updated - that took a while. Then it said there was some delay.

It's presently telling me something about the Incoming Mail Server may not be correct information.

**** Working at it.

HR

Also, which 3G service pad did you buy? Verizon or AT&T?
**** The receipt indicates AT&T(which is with whom I have my iPhone). When I get to the CELLULAR DATA ACCOUNT page it references a "Rethink Possible."
Isn't that a Verizon logo?

HR

"Rethink Possible" is AT&T's latest slogan.
Verizon's is "Rule the Air" (I think).

The iPad is looking for the wireless network in your house. Or the 3G network both which you can set up from the iPad, it's in settings icon. There should be a manual on the iPad. Look for it under safari, but I forget if you need to at least connect to your network for it to go out on the web and find it.

Try this link from your PC.

http://help.apple.com/ipad/5/interface/
It's recognizing the wireless network in the house but I can't remember the password for it. Safari won't let me in because of "no cellular data network."

HR

He probably knows that the IPad 2 will get the job done, so he is happy to save the money.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but initially I used the cable to connect the IPad to my PC. I did not/have not gotten a 3G subscription for my IPad. I simply use wireless to download my Foreflight updates. Just before flight I stop in the car next to our little terminal building and download the latest weather information before going to my hangar to get out the plane.

If I have a long delay after getting to the hangar, I sometimes taxi over to the hangar and download the latest weather again before my flight. You can get free wifi at every airport I've been too, no matter how small, remote or unmanned it might be.

Good luck and enjoy your IPad.

Should've bought my old iPad 2 64GB on AT&T and saved a few bucks (and tax)!

He probably knows that the IPad 2 will get the job done, so he is happy to save the money.

Apple refurbished store baby. Just ordered today. I don't need the plan but I do need (want) the 3G chip for the GPS.

Apple refurbished store baby. Just ordered today. I don't need the plan but I do need (want) the 3G chip for the GPS.

Yes, if you're going to run Foreflight or equivalent, a 3G with WiFi works out good. That's what I have and I have yet to lose the GPS fix in about 25 hours of flying with it.

I was planning on buying a refurb and then my wife bought me a new one for Christmas. Only thing is that it looks funny in the cockpit since it's white. Oh well! Works great.

I was planning on buying a refurb and then my wife bought me a new one for Christmas. Only thing is that it looks funny in the cockpit since it's white. Oh well! Works great.

Does that mean you look funny in the cockpit, too? :rofl: :rofl:

All is up and running. The set-up "snakes" that were appearing weren't resolved by AT&T via telephone from Florida. She was helpful, just didn't resolve everything. I went to the AT&T Store in Brunswick where the techie said, "She didn't do it correctly;" and after some checking, "I'll need to cancel what she did and re-enter appropriate data." He did, and all is up and running. Certainly is easier to "see" FltPlan.com's FltPlan app and Seattle Avionics' Voyager Free Flight app on the iPad 2 as opposed to the iPhone screen. Foreflight should be next.

HR

Back