New Instrument Flying Handbook

One more reason to love ForeFlight. It is on my iPad already without me having to do a thing.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks. I'm hoping to finish my Instrument Rating before my BFR comes up in February.

I compared to the 2008 version.

There was some reorganization.
The first two chapters are now regarding Airspace and the ATC system, which previously appeared much later in the book.

An old chapter that previously had two sections, one on flying with analog instruments and the other with glass panels, has been split into two chapters.
Loran vanished from the chapter on Navigation Systems.

Figure captions that were messed up for approach plates are now more messed up:

Fig. 10-8 was changed to a different approach, but they didn't change the caption so that the caption is now obviously wrong.

Fig. 10-9 was not changed, even though the caption was wrong. It's still wrong in the new version.
The 2008 version had a list of changes from the previous version. This appeared right after the preface. The new version has none.

Where on Foreflight? do you have FFPRO.

How can you TAC charts on FF

Thank you
:mad2:

Documents section, download what you want.

TAC Charts? terminal area Charts? Zoom in, the resolution changes to the TAC.
Sadly, they still don't have the backside, flyway charts of Class B airspace on FF.

Love the notation on the airspace chart.... "not to scale"

I keep looking for a Bill Engvall footnote.

Love the notation on the airspace chart.... "not to scale"

I keep looking for a Bill Engvall footnote.

Not sure I follow. Why? Most pilots tend to think those charts are to scale much more than they are. They describe class B as an 'upside down wedding cake' and such.

If they drew them to scale they would be very flat and look dumb...so they stretch them up.

I agree with Aggie... If you can't figure out that a ten thousand feet doesn't get you halfway to the tropopause...

"Here's your sign."

I agree with Aggie... If you can't figure out that a ten thousand feet doesn't get you halfway to the tropopause...

"Here's your sign."

I was more thinkin that if someone though class B airspace was less than 2-inches...

TAC Charts? terminal area Charts? Zoom in, the resolution changes to the TAC.
Sadly, they still don't have the backside, flyway charts of Class B airspace on FF.

I think some of the back-sides are available in the Documents section...

Is the FAA going to put the new Instrument Procedures Handbook on pdf?

Very few. But some. No DEN VFR corridors, for example.

No, but you can go to the FAA's website or whichever gov organization that's doing the charts and download the backside. Everything is there, but I think you have to convert from the funky graphic type to PDF.

[update]

Go to this website

http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/VFR/chartlist_tac

And you can download a .zip file for whichever TAC you want. There's two types of chart - TAC which is the terminal area, and FLY which is the backside. Format for the FLY is .tif so you either live with it or convert to PDF. Filesize for the .tif is a bit over 32 mb. I chopped the legend and converted to PDF and it's 8 mb.

Attachments

• Denver FLY 78.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I loved an old Dave Bedard column on using your aviation plotter that had a line like:

For use on sectional charts, use the scale marked 1:500,000.
For use on terminal charts, use the scale marked 1:250,000.
For use on charts marked not for navigation, use the scale marked not for plotting.

Back