New IFR Student

Chip_pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chip_pilot
So here I am,

A new IFR student. I started last year but did not get very far. I need advice. I am 48. I take instruction well, just ask my wife of 18 years! I need an instructor. I don't want to take forever. I also want my commercial. I have my own aircraft, a 1961 172B. It has a KX-155, KX-125, KI 209, MB. It has a sensitive altimeter an no pitot heat. I open to all suggestions...

Craig, I'm a bit confused are you looking for a CFII? If so let us know where you are so perhaps we can make a recommendation. There is always PIC instrument programs that I think get you your IR in ten days in your plane.

Did not mean to confuse. I need

1. An instructor

2. To know if my aircraft is equipped enough that I can fly it to get rated.

Craig mentioned in an earlier post that he's based at M71 ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Greensfield Airport
Moscow Mills, Missouri, USA) [/SIZE][/FONT], near KSUS.

Did not mean to confuse. I need
2. To know if my aircraft is equipped enough that I can fly it to get rated.
All you need to train and take the checkride avionics wise is something that will allow you to fly a non-precision and a precision (or LPV) approach. Pitot heat is not required nor is a GPS, ADF, DME, or autopilot but if any of those are installed you are required to know how to use them. That said I wouldn't go flying in actual IMC without pitot heat unless the OAT is well above freezing at any altitude you might be flying.

Chip,

I will be in a similar situation as you, trying to get my IR with limited avionics. You might want to read my thread below named "Panel Mods?" There were lots of good comments from knowledgable people and should be helpful to you in evaluating your avionics situation.

Good luck,
Doc

Back