New ICAO Flight Plan Requirement

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Has anyone seen the new flight plan requirments?

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through EducationNew Flight Plan Form
Notice Number: NOTC4439
On November 15, 2012, the new ICAO Flight Plan Amendment will take effect, changing the way all ICAO flight plans are filed. You must take these new changes into account when filing your ICAO flight plans, or your flight plans will be rejected by ATC.
There are many changes in the amendment, but the biggest are in Item 10, “Equipment,” and Item 18, “Other Information.” From July 15, 2012 through November 14, 2012, a plan can be submitted in either the current “pre-2012” format or the new “ICAO 2012 format.” From November 15, 2012 onward, filings must be in the new ICAO 2012 format.
You can find the FAA InFO at this link, https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2012/Nov/InFO12018.pdf, and a table with further information at this link, https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2012/Nov/Operational_Approval_Guidance_Table_v4.pdf.
Questions or comments regarding this InFO should be directed to Gordon Rother, New Program Implementation and International Support Branch, AFS-240 at (202) 267-8166.
This notice is being sent to you because you selected "General Information" in your preferences on FAASafety.gov. If you wish to adjust your selections, log into https://www.faasafety.gov/Users/pub/preferences.aspx where you can update your preferences.

I have to file, as I originate in the SFRA. Although I'm sure I can simply call FSS or file online, I'd like to understand what's going on but this seems unfamiliar.

I got an E-mail about it this morning, but haven't looked into it yet. WHat is the story?

Above IS the email that you likely got. The links are in the above.

Well thanks that about sums it up. I can see that, just haven't had time to dig into it yet. Thought you might have more than...there is the links!

It's been around for a while specifically for RNAV IFR flight plans. Like airspace reclassification (ARSA, TCA, etc to Class C, B, etc) and ICAO weather types (SA, FT, etc to METAR, TAF etc) before it, it's to conform US aviation systems to international standards.

Having set up one airplane in FltPlan a few months ago just to see, the primary difference is how various types of aircraft equipment (not just navigation) are coded. It's a lot more detailed but not that big a deal for light aircraft...

...although, like airspace and weather before it, expect the sound of whining that isn't coming from spooling jet engines ;)

I THINK this only applys to international IFR and for advanced area navigation, like RNAV stars and sids. In other words if you are filing an ICAO flight plan then the new rules apply for equipment identification. I am sure John or someone will be along shortly to explain. I think this has been in the works for quite a while.

Well thanks that about sums it up. I can see that, just haven't had time to dig into it yet. Thought you might have more than...there is the links!

Sorry, I'm trying to figure out what it means and what I have to do. I wasn't trying to snub you at all, if that's what you thought.

Do we have to file an ICAO flight plan, or can we continue filing the old domestic flight plans when we fly within the US?

I'm wondering if this is something that will concern only people who are already using ICAO flight plans, whatever they are. I've never even heard of an ICAO flight plan.

Unless you're going across the US border or file RNAV SIDs/STARs, this won't change anything you do -- just keep doing what you're doing.

Unless you're going across the US border or file RNAV SIDs/STARs, this won't change anything you do -- just keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know, and probably many other readers as well.

If you did not file an RNAV SID or STAR, can ATC still assign one to appropriately equipped aircraft?

No heat, Ron answered your question perfectly. Just FYI if you are interested. ICAO flight plans are required for international flight IFR and for RNAV SIDS and STARS. I believe in years past the equipment suffix's were allowed to be those we in the US are use to on the ICAO flight plan. The international community uses a different set of suffixes. So, what the FAA is wanting is for all operators using the ICAO flight plan to use the new equipment suffixes. You will not need to change anything using the FAA forms we are all familiar with. I did not do a very good job in my earlier post. Carry on.

I understood that while an ICAO flightplan is not required for domestic US flights, starting Nov. 15 it will save some work in the ATC system if flightplans are filed that way. Did I misunderstand?

I think an IACO is required for domestic RNAV SID and STARS OR is it just the new suffixes that must be used? Save time, not sure. John, Ron??

I do not think you get an RNAV SID or STAR unless you are flying something without propellers. Airlines wanted steep climbs and fast climb speeds. The new RNAV stuff starts tomorrow in Denver and my controller friends say Turboprops won't get them. If you get one make sure you have the waypoints. I know my KLN 94 will not have them.

I do not think you get an RNAV SID or STAR unless you are flying something without propellers. Airlines wanted steep climbs and fast climb speeds. The new RNAV stuff starts tomorrow in Denver and my controller friends say Turboprops won't get them. If you get one make sure you have the waypoints. I know my KLN 94 will not have them.

I don't have my manual in front of me, but I recall Martha King saying they are in the database (KLN-94 DVD).

Jaybird,
Check your manual but I spoke with on of the King reps on the phone months go and he said they did not have room on the card for those new RNAV waypoints. The old fashion SIDS and STARS are on the KLN 94 database. Some of these will be going away in the future.

Jaybird,
Check your manual but I spoke with on of the King reps on the phone months go and he said they did not have room on the card for those new RNAV waypoints. The old fashion SIDS and STARS are on the KLN 94 database. Some of these will be going away in the future.

What does that mean? Yes, the DVD is old...looks like it was produced early 90's. I bought mine about a year ago.

Back