New hydrogen engine

Boeing Phantom Eye. Unmanned, liquid hydrogen, 2 auto conversion engines; and all this back in 2012. The POA technology assessment department seems to think there's no point in technology development unless all of the supporting technology is fully mature and fielded.

Nauga,
from the far horizon
That would be an incorrect assessment of this thread.

you know the flight test was not done at full power? It had heating issues.
A new section for the POA tech assessment guidelines: Operating at part power = unsuccessful. Exploding after takeoff = fully successful.

Nauga,
and situational ethics

There's a small matter of efficiency. Last I heard, you needed to put 2 KW into cracking water into H and O to get 1 KW back. Might be a little better now, but still won't be 100% efficient. If you're going to have a compressed fuel, I'd recommend LNG.

Name one vehicle operating with liquid hydrogen…..and not a rocket.
Can you be more specific? Some cars store the H in liquid form and convert to gaseous on demand for combustion.

My cousin in California drives a Toyota hydrogen powered car. She absolutely loves it.
Fill up in a couple minutes and 450 mile range.
Downside: Not a lot of places to fill up, yet.

dont forget that this is brought to you from a company that has been promising to start shipping engines for what , oh say 20 years or so?

All this and still I could find 10,000 places that sell it before finding one that sells hydrogen. And it has a higher energy density to boot. But who cares about that in aircraft.

The same thing was said, I am sure, about horseless carriages. Hay, grain and water can be found at every choach stops, but where are they going to find this newfangled gasoline?

The same thing was said, I am sure, about horseless carriages. Hay, grain and water can be found at every choach stops, but where are they going to find this newfangled gasoline?
I’m surprised it took this long for someone to drag out this tired argument.

The government did not mandate or subsidize horseless carriages.
They proved themselves to the market.
Horses remained important for a long time after cars started to become popular.
Cars offered substantial advantages over horses in cost, convenience, comfort, speed, power, etc.

hydrogen power is not solving any of those sorts of problems over gasoline Power. It’s solving a political problem only. Supposedly.

That's a rather silly comparison.

The Ford assembly line employee making $5 an hour could buy a Model T with less than three month's wages.

That and the rapid adoption of oil as a universal lubricant and heating source and the plentiful byproduct of its refining, gasoline, made automobiles and other vehicles ubiquitous.

Adoption of hydrogen as a power source will be extremely expensive and slow. I laugh at those who imply "free" electricity from wind and solar will hasten its progress. The electric grid hasn't the capability to deal with electric automobiles, much less trucks, trains,.and powering huge electrolysis facilities that will be required.

That's a rather silly comparison.

The Ford assembly line employee making $5 an hour could buy a Model T with less than three month's wages.

That and the rapid adoption of oil as a universal lubricant and heating source and the plentiful byproduct of its refining, gasoline, made automobiles and other vehicles ubiquitous.

Adoption of hydrogen as a power source will be extremely expensive and slow. I laugh at those who imply "free" electricity from wind and solar will hasten its progress. The electric grid hasn't the capability to deal with electric automobiles, much less trucks, trains,.and powering huge electrolysis facilities that will be required.
not to mention that water is a fought after commodity in a lot of the world now, what happens when we are using massive quantities to get hydrogen?

Back