New Here

cgarr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cgarr
New to this msg board but not to flying. Not sure if this is allowed but usually at least on our car boards people do a quick intro when new.

Started flying in 76 when I was 16 I learned on our 1939 J4 Cub Coupe and in 89 built my 1918 British SE5a replica 85% scale which is a blast to fly, have about 400 hours on it myself. I fly out of 41C Wayland MI nice quiet grass strip and only about 15min from home.

I have my instrument rating, had a club PA-32 a few years back but now limited to sport pilot due to kidney stone problems.

Look forward to area fly-ins, our big event we try to attend each 2 years is the WWl gathering at Wright-Pat museum this September.

Thanks

Craig

Craig -

Great introduction, and yes, we surely do love to learn about you.

You went to a lot of trouble to build your plane; perhaps you should go to just a smidge more, and post it for all of us to admire!

One of our most active, and feisty, members is based in the Grand Rapids area- Mr. Ed Frederick, who flies a Piper Comanche. He and his dad revived a dead airport up in the UP, Sidnaw (6Y9), have a lively fly-in in (Spike pauses to scroll to the top of the screen) 77 days. Be there!

Welcome aboard, Craig. Nice intro and nice to meet you. Ditto on the pics request!!!

Wayland, I see. Hastings here. Haven't landed there yet.

Here is had and now have, the J4 we sold a few years ago because we just did not fly it that much.

100_5412.jpg
winterflying.jpg

Well I posted some pics but I guess they have to be approved first?

Oops... I think you have to have five posts or something like that before you can post a picture?

Lemme look...

Yes, we are very careful here, especially after the recent and unfortunate incident with Congressman Weiner. Some posters do not have a good understanding of the question when they are asked to post pictures of "their equipment.";)

Well I posted some pics but I guess they have to be approved first?

LOL we have the same problem on our Porsche board but that one is tied to a business so the owner gets to ban a lot of members. My SE5a does not have a lot of "equipment" anyhow!

New to this msg board but not to flying. Not sure if this is allowed but usually at least on our car boards people do a quick intro when new.

Started flying in 76 when I was 16 I learned on our 1939 J4 Cub Coupe and in 89 built my 1918 British SE5a replica 85% scale which is a blast to fly, have about 400 hours on it myself. I fly out of 41C Wayland MI nice quiet grass strip and only about 15min from home.

I have my instrument rating, had a club PA-32 a few years back but now limited to sport pilot due to kidney stone problems.

Look forward to area fly-ins, our big event we try to attend each 2 years is the WWl gathering at Wright-Pat museum this September.

Thanks

Craig

Welcome!

Nice airplane! Looks like a lot of fun.

By the way, I'm not trying to second guess your decisions, but have you worked with a great AME on your kidney stones? There certainly isn't anything wrong with sport pilot if it fits your needs, but if you would like a medical, I would suggest at least talking with Dr. Bruce Chien. I've seen him help pilots get medicals when other AMEs said they were impossible cases. He'll also tell you what he can do BEFORE you go in...so you won't ever risk your sport pilot status.

If you're even curious, I would suggest talking with him. You might be surprised by his answer. :yes:

The Kidney stone problem never denied me a 3rd class I just had to be reviewed every year so I just let it expire before it did get denied for some reason. I may go after it again mainly if I build a cross country plane that requires it...

Thats why I like this board, after reading a lot of the posts, seems to be a lot of help out there!

The Kidney stone problem never denied me a 3rd class I just had to be reviewed every year so I just let it expire before it did get denied for some reason. I may go after it again mainly if I build a cross country plane that requires it...

Thats why I like this board, after reading a lot of the posts, seems to be a lot of help out there!

Work with Dr. Bruce. He'll be straight with you...and he'd never let you back yourself into a corner. He's in Peoria, IL...but it's worth the trip.

Thanks

Craig

when in september?

Graig, nice to have you hear at POA! We like to call ourselves the front porch of aviation, even if debates can get a bit hot now and then:rolleyes:.

One of our best flyins is run by Ed and Brad Frederick up at 6Y9 in the U.P. on Labor Day weekend. Brad and Ed fly out of 9D9. Great folks. Hope to see you up at 6Y9 sometime. Don't feel shy about asking Ed for a ride until you get your medical renewed.

Put just the video ID in the [ yt ] Ja9L58cqEOM [ /yt ] brackets.

(eliminate all the spaces)

Craig,
I look forward to meeting you at 6Y9, or OSH, or at one of the other get-togethers. My guess is that you probably don't take the SE5a across the lake, but we've been know to get together at KVPZ, and we could probably be persuaded to do KAZO (though that wouldn't be as fun for a taildragger, I'm sure). Certainly open for suggestions!

Back