New help updating my G530W.

Mark B Schick

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy the Razor
Hello group,

I have a Garmin 530W and would like to update my database. I tried over the winter but ran into a problem determining the serial number for my unit. All progress stopped. I would also like to know if most people do a subscription of just update as needed. I'm currently not doing any IFR flying so mu out-of-date database hasn't been a big problem. Any thoughts or directions about how to locate the serial number to register with Garmin would be appreciated.

Mark Schick '74 182P

There isn’t a system ID for the GNS to register with FlyGarmin to get DB upgrades. This was added newer devices to stop piracy.

From Garmin Website: GNC 420 and GNS 430/530 (W) Family: This unit does not have a System ID. Therefore, any number can be used in FlyGarmin to add the unit.

Type any number you want, it’s just ignored for GNS.

The GNS-4xx/5xx units do not have a system ID like the newer units, so (according to the Garmin website) you can enter any number in the serial number field. Looking at my account, I have serial number 1. I think the database updates are tied to a specific database card. I have two cards, but I can only install an update once, although I believe I can reinstall as needed.

I fly IFR, so I keep my unit legal and updated via subscription. A full USA Navdata subscription is $299 from Garmin. You will need the Garmin progammer to use the Garmin databases.

Thank you for the information. It appears that the Garmin databases are cheaper than going through Jeppesen. An annual subscription for just the Eastern US from Jeppesen is $368. Unfortunately I have the Jeppesen dongle. Would you guys agree that using Garmin is the way to go, so purchase the $70 Garmin updater?

Thanks for the replies.

Back