New hangar tips?

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
I'm getting ready to build a hangar behind my house and wondered about a few things and was hoping to get some opinions. I'm not looking at working on the plane in this building, just storage.

1. I'm only planning on making it big enough for the plane. That way I don't have other people trying to store things in there and bumping into/damaging the plane. Good idea?
2. I thought about fiberglass panels to let light in but not sure if that would be damaging to the fabric. Is it better to keep fabric planes in the dark?
3. What's a good, cheap door? I was thinking about fabric roll-up or www.ultimatedoor.homestead.com/ultimate.html
4. Anything else?

Drainage and just the exact amount of downhill so its not too hard to push the airplane into the hangar, but water does not get in. The door is the most maintenance headache. I wouldn't go cheap.

In my view, its a waste to put gravel under a concrete slab. If you want it better, go another inch (or two) thicker. The finishers always stomp the rebar to the bottom where it does little to no good. There is a way to do it right, but you have to prop it up and NOT STEP ON IT! (fat chance). Again, just make the slab thicker (or do it right).

Whether you can get away with no gravel subbase really depends on what your soil is like. Just pouring a thicker slab won't necessarily fix things. Thicker slab isn't going to counter pour reinforcing. Best bet is to get a concrete guy with good references.

Are you heating this hangar? Don't skimp on the insulation (including the door). My hangar is spray foamed and has 2" of rigid applied to the inside of the (Schweiss) door. It's amazing how much more comfortable that is even during the summer (no a/c) compared to my uninsulated garage next door.

It's lot visible light that degrades fabric, is UV. And then only when your finish is otherwise compromised as most of the "process" finishes have pretty good UV retarding layers in them.

Having hot/cold water is real handy in my hangar.

As for sizing, as long as you have somewhere else for things to go, that's fine. Even in my old T hangar I kept some tools, a few spares, and a small air compressor.

What if you want a bigger plane one day? Even a twin maybe. Might be worth it to build bigger than your current plane, just for the possibility. Something to think about.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Right now this hangar is just for the Challenger ultralight on the farm but I am going to make it big enough for the Arrow that's still in town. I don't have a big enough piece of dirt for that big of a runway yet.
Right now I'm not even planning on a concrete floor but I am keeping it in the back of my mind. Since my "real" job is at an engineering firm, I understand drainage, subgrades and PCC. No heat at this time. I've got other heated shops. Water and sewer are 100' away in the house. :) I'm still trying to figure out what else I'm missing.
Thanks again!

Run a big enough electrical circuit for compressors, welders, etc.

It appears you might be from the north country. Do not build a hangar with a north facing door, unless you're insane.

1. It seems like there is never enough room, but if you think other people will be wanting to fill it up with stuff, good idea to keep it just for you. Then you can always say "I don't have enough room."
2. I would check and see if you can find out whether or not fiberglass block UV. If not, I would go with dark. Also, I'm not sure if you would have more bird problems if you use the fiberglass or keep it dark. I think my tendency would be to keep it dark.
3. I can't help much here, except to say be sure you get something that fits tight enough to keep birds out.
4. Be sure you get the foundations stout enough and anchor bolts long enough to hold it down in a wind. Working at an engineering firm, you can probably get some advice there.

I have a 20 ft. wingspan airplane in a 40 ft. wide T-hangar.......my hangar is not too big. No cars or boats, only my airplane and the airplane's support equipment there.

Last edited:
Back