New Guy, Old Questions...

I took my ppl written in July at a PSI center. It was a very small building. The testing "booths" are little cubicles big enough to fit a large man and an 18-20" computer monitor.
I didn't use the ASA test prep site, so not sure how navigation compares. The test is quite straight forward but it didn't give me the option to review my missed answers (which was a bummer). I did use the ASA Test Prep book as a study tool. It's the best way to prepare for the written, IMO.
The atmosphere was so quiet you could hear a mouse squeak. Earmuffs were offered to shut out all noise.
There was plenty of space on the desk to "spread out" my calculator, pencil, and plotter and E6B. I didn't use my E6B at all throughout the test, though I did bring it along. Don't bring any of your books...You can't use them. They will provide you as much scratch paper as you need as well as a test prep supplement.

Good luck! You'll do great.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
Thanks!
A very, very thorough description, and I appreciate that! I hadn't planned on bringing any of my books - although I do have a brand new, never opened copy of the testing supplement. I didn't realize until it was too late that the ASA Test Prep book came with the supplement neatly tucked in with it. I have heard some anecdotal remarks that some folks discovered stray marks in their supplements. That would be distracting to me, but not to the point where I would stress any over it.
My "test kit" is pretty simplistic so far. I have two clear plastic triangles (for finding those VOR fixes), a standard protractor, and a 360 degree clear protractor. One E6B (maybe my CX3 too), at least one pushpin. That pin was recommended in the ASA Test Prep front matter. I ignored it until I started my practice test, and then realized how useful it could be for the take off performance charts! Other items will be a basic function calculator and my rotating plotter, and three colored pencils, one or two mechanical pencils.
Do you happen to remember your cost for the test? Just curious. As the cost increases, my study ethic improves. Strange, isn't it?

A quick perusal of AOPA's med info turns this up, Levothyroxine doesn't appear to be a showstopper, but may require some initial hoops to jump through. (I'm not a med expert)
As mentioned by others, just go get a consult with an AME.
Thanks,
As predicted, I entered my current prescriptions into that website (LeftSeat) and they replied with much hand wringing and dire concern. I definitely need their expertise, they replied. Again, not surprising - that's what they do for a living, sell a service.
Anyway, I think that I have identified the closest AME to me, and have initiated contact with his office. Dr. Blocker in Granbury. I will have a sit-down with him before I start any official application.

Soaring isn’t for everyone but it’s worth a look to see if it might be for you. BTW, TX has some of the best soaring conditions in the country, so there’s that.

I honestly didn't know that! From the You Tube channels you'd think that I needed to move to Europe and learn ridge current flying.

Never flown a sailplane, but I figure that since most of us SEL pilots live in fear of suddenly becoming glider pilots, it must be a pretty good challenge and a great way to develop flying skills.

Yep, and thus my attraction to the Pipetrel Sinus: C-150/152 cruise performance with a 30:1 glide ratio. If they weren't just so dadgummed expensive!

I honestly didn't know that! From the You Tube channels you'd think that I needed to move to Europe and learn ridge current flying.

We have more/better conditions in the states than Europe but soaring is a much more active sport there. Texas has excellent flat land thermal soaring conditions across the state. I traveled from Jersey to get my check ride and to race more than a few times. Worth the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Europe has consistent ridge soaring. Texas has thermal soaring, less consistent but it can be epic.

A friend of mine's father set a couple of world records soaring in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

My "test kit" is pretty simplistic so far...
Do you happen to remember your cost for the test?
As the cost increases, my study ethic improves. Strange, isn't it?

I paid $119 online through the website when I set up my test appointment.

All those tools may be a bit much...I recommend bringing what you use and forget the rest. Bring whatever gives you peace of mind. Push pins are great! At my testing center they gave me a supplement with a plastic overlay to lay over the page of the book. I had to draw all my courses with the round point dry erase marker they provided. A sharp pointed dry erase marker is one thing you might consider bringing along.

Same here with the study ethic. My goal was to get a good score to cut out as much oral as possible on the practical test. One thing I do wish I'd done is fly a few times before taking the test. The problems I got wrong were stuff I think I would have known if I had only flown more before taking the written. But you probably have a lot more experience in aviation than I have. I didn't know beans about aviation two months before taking the ppl written.

I paid $119 online through the website when I set up my test appointment.

All those tools may be a bit much...I recommend bringing what you use and forget the rest. Bring whatever gives you peace of mind. Push pins are great! At my testing center they gave me a supplement with a plastic overlay to lay over the page of the book. I had to draw all my courses with the round point dry erase marker they provided. A sharp pointed dry erase marker is one thing you might consider bringing along.

Same here with the study ethic. My goal was to get a good score to cut out as much oral as possible on the practical test. One thing I do wish I'd done is fly a few times before taking the test. The problems I got wrong were stuff I think I would have known if I had only flown more before taking the written. But you probably have a lot more experience in aviation than I have. I didn't know beans about aviation two months before taking the ppl written.

Just checking the PSI website last night, it looks like I will be coughing up $175. At least that was my interpretation. If it is truly $119, that would make me happier. I hear that there is a minor discount through AOPA. And, AOPA seems to be offering a free six-month membership. I might need to look into that.

While that seems like a lot of stuff to carry in, it all fits neatly within a zippered pencil bag - you know, the kind you used to have in school that handily snapped into the rings of your three-ring binder. The clear triangles proved themselves quite handy finding the crossing fixes from VOR stations. The small 360 degree wheel protractor quickly fills in all of the missing radials from the VOR that may be covered up by other text or symbols. It's also a quick tool to find the reciprocal bearings for a radial.

I already have some fine pointed dry erase markers. Those are the best tools to use on the wind side of the E6B as far as I can tell.

Well, to be honest, I have absolutely zero experience in GA. In fact, the closest I've ever been to any GA aircraft was when I dropped in on the CFI I will most likely use. He was swapping out students, and I actually got to peek into the cabin and do a quick survey of the avionics and panel. That was the only time I've ever been that close to a small plane, let alone to even be able to lay a hand on one. Didn't get a chance to sit in a seat though. The next closest experience would probably be flying in a Jetstream Super 31 (visualize a Beech 99) when I lived in Virginia and did a ton of traveling while working at the shipyard. American Airlines used those for commuter service from PHF to Nashville, I believe. It's been over 30 years, so the memories fade. I do remember that they were a welcome upgrade from the Shorts 360's that were previously used on that route. To help with "theory to practice", I have been using my flight simulator. Not the best tool, but it does help some. The physics are pretty close, but I suspect that it isn't nearly as accurate when it comes to the amount of right rudder needed for takeoff roll. I have it set to realistic, but seldom need to use a bunch of rudder.

@Dry Creek :

Put the pencils and sharpies down.
Put the protractor and plotter away.
Set the zipper bag aside.
Stop comparing E6B's.
Stop googling testing sites.

Go to the airport.
Contact that CFI.
Take a flight lesson.
Then take another one.
And then another one.

One thing I do wish I'd done is fly a few times before taking the test. The problems I got wrong were stuff I think I would have known if I had only flown more before taking the written.

Listen to @Ashlyn Maria!

It's all coming. You'll get there. Fly. It'll answer a lot of questions. And you'll have fun!

Europe has consistent ridge soaring. Texas has thermal soaring, less consistent but it can be epic.

NJ has consistent ridge soaring but ‘consistent ridge soaring’ is not the most interesting or exciting condition to fly in… unless you are soaring the Appalachians. Minden NV and the surrounding Sierra Mountains may have the most exciting and dynamic soaring conditions in the country. Many of the world speed over distance records were or are set along the Appalachians. Uvalde TX may have some of the strongest and most consistent thermal soaring conditions in the country. Marfa, Caddo Mills, Hobbs NM, Littlefield were all great soaring competition sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well, all of this talk of excellent soaring opportunities here in Texas is certainly encouraging! If my course to PP-SEL hits a snag, that may be the best option yet. Nobody near me offers Sport Pilot, nor are there any LSA aircraft to rent. Well, OK, in Granbury there is a lone Luscombe.

@Dry Creek :

Put the pencils and sharpies down.
Put the protractor and plotter away.
Set the zipper bag aside.
Stop comparing E6B's.
Stop googling testing sites.

Go to the airport.
Contact that CFI.
Take a flight lesson.
Then take another one.
And then another one.

Listen to @Ashlyn Maria!

It's all coming. You'll get there. Fly. It'll answer a lot of questions. And you'll have fun!

OK, I've been digesting this reply, and trying to see how it would fit into my resources (Time & Money) allotted for fulfilling my "dream" (that translates to a want, not a need).

The pathway you recommend seems to be one that really benefits the CFI. Just walk in, without even a spoon, and be fed at a rate that is determined by the syllabus. Sorry, that's not the way I learn. Even going back to my high school days, we did classroom before jumping behind the wheel in Diver's Education. The instructor wanted us to be sure we understood basic safety requirements, laws, and operating rules (of the road). I have been in a very technical field for a very long time. Before they turned us loose on the power plant, we had to understand basics. Physics, Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, system and component construction, operating limits of the reactor and connected propulsion or power generating equipment. Then, spend time on a simulator, learn the systems and how they interact with each other, and expected responses for different conditions and, above all - emergency procedures. That's the way I've been learning for over 40 years now. Our industry expects self-study and research. Before you head out into the engine room or the power block, you are expected to have a solid understanding of your equipment. You will have passed closed book tests and multiple interviews before you even start the qualification process.

That is the way I have grown accustomed to learning. Before I start actually controlling anything, I want the fundamentals behind me. I would think that a CFI would appreciate a student that shows enough interest in the subject to be familiar with the equipment and theory behind the operation of the aircraft. It would be handy for the student to understand basic airmanship, or at least I would think that it would be important, right?

I haven't been "Googling test sites". I purchased the ASA 2021 Test Prep package. In it they have practice test questions, and the explanation of not only why the "most correct" answer is the one you should select, but they also explain how the distractors (less correct) answers are wrong. They have five online practice tests included in the package. You have to score better than 80% on two of them to obtain the CFI endorsement for taking the actual test. The test closely mimics the actual test environment presented by PSI. On my first practice test I scored 90%. I know that I can do better, and it's been back to the textbooks (not just memorizing answers). I ask about the physical test environment because I am one of those planning types - not in the least spontaneous. I am interested in how much room I'll have to sprawl out my "tools" for the task at hand, and I plan to recreate that environment as much as possible before I go in and take that test (hoping to be within the next three weeks, I have my FTN, yee haw!).

Everybody learns in a different way, and at a different rate. I hate to be spoon fed. I want to take an active approach in my education. I get really irritated at our new hires that want to be spoon fed too. I have spoken with the CFI I'll probably use (unless I end up going Sport Pilot), and he's OK with me knocking out the written test and medical before we even start. I'm not opposed to spending time in the classroom for ground school, but I want to make sure that I have put enough effort into the process to ensure that it is not spent constantly going over the very basics that could have easily been learned by simple research and study from a motivated student.

Old, crusty, and set in his ways - yep, that's me.

Before I start actually controlling anything, I want the fundamentals behind me. I would think that a CFI would appreciate a student that shows enough interest in the subject to be familiar with the equipment and theory behind the operation of the aircraft.

Everybody learns in a different way, and at a different rate. I hate to be spoon fed. I want to take an active approach in my education.

Old, crusty, and set in his ways - yep, that's me.

Only two pieces of advice:

1. Listen to experienced pilots.
2. Learn from experienced pilots.

Don't be like me. I came into aviation like a newborn to kindergarten. Awed at this amazing new world with a new language that I knew nothing of. No experience and no mentors. The only aviation knowledge I had was a little bit of physics from high-school. Didn't even know what a carburetor was or how an engine works. Systems, instruments, weather, regs, aerodynamics...had to chew it all up and spit it out 8 weeks later. Being a kinesthetic learner, all the head knowledge I got from studying for the written didn't become understanding until I started flying. I could read about xw takeoffs and landings all day, but I didn't know how to evaluate and execute until my instructor took me out for several hairy xw lessons.
I wasted a lot of money in the beginning shopping around for a CFI. I didn't know what I was doing and have a lot of regrets because of that. Find a good instructor and stick with him/her. Don't spend 10, 15 or 30 hours finding that one like I did.

Now let me strangle my inner teacher before I get myself in trouble. Good luck! If you fly like you study, you'll be a great pilot!

DryCreek: "Just checking the PSI website last night, it looks like I will be coughing up $175. At least that was my interpretation. If it is truly $119, that would make me happier. I hear that there is a minor discount through AOPA. And, AOPA seems to be offering a free six-month membership. I might need to look into that."

I took my test at the PSI exam center. I could have taken it at one of the local flight schools, but would have paid +/- $50 on top of the $109 fee. (Just looked back at my receipt - it was $109)
If the price really is $175 now, then your dollars are just worth less than they were in July.

I took my test at the PSI exam center. I could have taken it at one of the local flight schools, but would have paid +/- $50 on top of the $109 fee. (Just looked back at my receipt - it was $109)
If the price really is $175 now, then your dollars are just worth less than they were in July.

Yeah, inflation is probably at work here.
Directly from the PSI website:
"Effective July 1, 2021, the fee to schedule for all FAA Airmen Knowledge Exams will be $175."
Didn't AOPA offer a minimal discount for members?

Only two pieces of advice:

1. Listen to experienced pilots.
2. Learn from experienced pilots.

Don't be like me. I came into aviation like a newborn to kindergarten. Awed at this amazing new world with a new language that I knew nothing of. No experience and no mentors. The only aviation knowledge I had was a little bit of physics from high-school. Didn't even know what a carburetor was or how an engine works. Systems, instruments, weather, regs, aerodynamics...had to chew it all up and spit it out 8 weeks later. Being a kinesthetic learner, all the head knowledge I got from studying for the written didn't become understanding until I started flying. I could read about xw takeoffs and landings all day, but I didn't know how to evaluate and execute until my instructor took me out for several hairy xw lessons.
I wasted a lot of money in the beginning shopping around for a CFI. I didn't know what I was doing and have a lot of regrets because of that. Find a good instructor and stick with him/her. Don't spend 10, 15 or 30 hours finding that one like I did.

Now let me strangle my inner teacher before I get myself in trouble. Good luck! If you fly like you study, you'll be a great pilot!

Thanks!

I certainly listen and learn from experienced individuals. In the industry I work in, it's expected and encouraged. I have a couple of coworkers that have been certified Private Pilots for many years (one of them for nearly 50!). Aside from some hair-raising stories, they offer sage advice for learning and comprehending what the CFI is really trying to coax out of the student. The CFI I plan to start with is about my age, and has a traditional 172 (GPS, but also steam gauges, no G-1000, no ADS-B out). One of my coworkers has been using him. The only thing I may need to adapt to is a more laissez-faire attitude. My friend says that he is very laid back, and punctuality in his case closely mimics that of Amtrak (arrival within the hour scheduled is "on time"). My friend did say that he tends to let you figure out things on your own - rather than being the type of CFI that hovers over the controls and may unknowingly also be providing input. Within the bounds of safety, I do like to be able to apply logical thinking to a problem and find the solution on my own.

As far as the mechanics of airplanes and their systems, I found that to be the easiest of topics. Growing up I was exposed to mechanical work early on. By the time I was 14 I could tune up our cars - which included gapping points and setting dwell, change oil and filter, drop the transmission pans and change fluid/filters and replace the stupid vacuum modulators that Chevy liked to use back then. The levers, pulleys, bellcranks and actuator rods used for moving aircraft control surfaces are similar in many ways to the farm equipment I was introduced to on my uncle's ranch/hay farm. All of that background helped when I entered the Navy at 17 and started training as a Machinist Mate, then on to Nuclear Power School. I think that if the FAA had printed versions of AFH and PHAK readily available in the late 60's/early 70's when I was growing up an infatuated with everything related to aeronautics, I would have probably started on this journey much earlier. I know for a fact I would have enjoyed reading both of those texts immensely. I can tell you that they were not in any library of the schools I attended. Score one for the internet and Adobe's PDF!

Just finished up my second ASA practice test. I will say that it was far more challenging than the first one. Even after having reviewed their practice questions more than twice, there were a couple of questions that I had not seen. New ways to ask for the same information. That caused me to stop and think, re-reading the full questions and all answer stems. On one of the new questions I was truly stumped. I sat back and inventoried my resources, and found the answer by looking at the formulae on the wind side of my E6B. This time I took two hours, and made a 95%. On my review I laughed at the two questions I went back and changed to wrong answers.

I requested my endorsement from ASA, and it was received not too shortly thereafter in my email account. Next step, finding time to schedule the "real deal". My wife has even offered to convince her parents that are visiting next week to make a special trip down to Waco, where they will kick me out at the PSI Testing center while they go wander through the Richland Mall. My wife is encouraging me to "strike while the iron is (still) hot".

I am working on scheduling a pre-exam review with an AME up in Granbury (Dr. Blocker). I found the CACI's he will probably need to fill out, and I will be seeing my PCP this Friday to get his input for those CACI's.

Well, due to the impending arrival of my in-laws, the wife had me schedule the test sooner. Just completed it this morning at JAG Aviation, McGregor TX (KPWG). It took me just over an hour (including the silly survey you must complete at the end). I am happy with the results - 97%. Missed two, and one of them was one that I convinced myself to change from right to wrong. Oh well, now to knock out the medical stuff!

I highly recommend the ASA Private Pilot Test Prep to round out your course of study.

Great score! Congratulations!

Great score! Congratulations!

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to getting into the air soon. Probably will need to get two to three weeks of Physical Therapy behind me (new shoulder) before I start.

Back