New grammar pet peeve

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
To add to my existing pet peeves of "all the sudden," "should of," and a plethora of others....

"What happen?"

The only logical response is, of course, "somebody set up us the bomb."

But these people are not referring to AYB. Apparently, people have crossed the line of stupidity to not even try to understand what they are saying when they speak.

To add to my existing pet peeves of "all the sudden," "should of," and a plethora of others....

"What happen?"

But these people are not referring to AYB. Apparently, people have crossed the line of stupidity to not even try to understand what they are saying when they speak.

Evidently I'm too stupid to understand what you just posted.:dunno:

Person A: I had a really rough day.
Person B: What happen?

What is AYB? I looked it up and found a wikipedia article about what I think you are talking about, but I didn't understand exactly what it was referring to either. Sorry I'm being so dense. :D

What is AYB? I looked it up and found a wikipedia article about what I think you are talking about, but I didn't understand exactly what it was referring to either. Sorry I'm being so dense. :D
Never mind, I went back and read the wikipedia article again and decided that I don't care.:cheerswine: Moving on.

I wonder if I should start a thread titled "Online posting pet peeve" that rails against the use of obscure cultural references and inside jokes? :cheerswine:

I wonder if I should start a thread titled "Online posting pet peeve" that rails against the use of obscure cultural references and inside jokes? :cheerswine:

Don't forget obscure historical references! :wink2:

I sometimes forget that not everyone is a History Channel junkie like me.

Then what would we talk about?

Obscure? All your base are belong to us? Surely you aren't just now hearing about AYBABTU....

In A.D. 2101 War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?

Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.

Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What!
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's You !!
Cats: How are you gentlemen !!
Cats: All your base are belong to us.
Cats: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Cats: HA HA HA HA ....
Captain: Take off every 'zig' !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'ZIG'.
Captain: For great justice.

I agree, Nick. But my 7th grade English teacher was taught English by nuns with rulers, and he felt that rulers were an important part of the learning process. I'd be inclined to agree.

Obscure? All your base are belong to us? Surely you aren't just now hearing about AYBABTU....

Please tell me you didn't just type that in from memory.:cryin:

<SNIP>
AYB; AYBABTU; How many acronyms do we need to remember?

I knew about the meme, I didn't know its AYB now.

"What happen?"

NFW! I ain't not followin' you s2pit and arbitrary gramur rulz!

Unless........

You acknowledge the awesomenss of and abide by the Laws of Conservation and Th3rmodynamiX!

Thanks, that actually explained a lot. :thumbsup:

Is all that stuff w/ the captain and cats from some movie? I truly don't get it ....

Is all that stuff w/ the captain and cats from some movie? I truly don't get it ....

It was a poorly translated video game named Zero Wing from Japan for the Sega Genesis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base

It was the internet joke about 10 years ago. Its kind of taboo to use those jokes anymore, because they're lame now....but still, saying "What Happen" is only appropriate in response to that.

...It was the internet joke about 10 years ago. Its kind of taboo to use those jokes anymore, because they're lame now....but still, saying "What Happen" is only appropriate in response to that.
Like all things hipster, once the mainstream learns about it it becomes lame and a newbie detector.

As Yogi said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

I was just informed that the local community college staff - and sadly, I think, their supposed techie gurus - have discovered l33t$p34k. I tried to explain.

"What happen?"

Plethora. n. An overabundance, excess.

Hmm...

My unrequested advise?
If you can, let it go.

Spelling, grammar, syntax, apostrophes in the wrong place, improper idioms, inappropriate analogies, agonizing non-sequiturs........let em' all go!

I could list a half dozen reasons why; suffice it to say its going to be better in the long run if we are all able to tolerate!

My unrequested advise?
If you can, let it go.

Spelling, grammar, syntax, apostrophes in the wrong place, improper idioms, inappropriate analogies, agonizing non-sequiturs........let em' all go!

I could list a half dozen reasons why; suffice it to say its going to be better in the long run if we are all able to tolerate!

ur rite i dontcare y shd i!

My unrequested advise?
If you can, let it go.

Are you sure that's an appropriate use of a semicolon??/:wink2:

My unrequested advise?
If you can, let it go.

I dunno, it's gonna take a lot to make me let it go. It ain't like I gots to.

One I will always have a difficult time accepting is the new spellings or meanings of words. Concrete! Those were made in concrete and must never be changed! Wa-aa!
Letting go,.....letting go!

One I will always have a difficult time accepting is the new spellings or meanings of words. Concrete! Those were made in concrete and must never be changed! Wa-aa!
Letting go,.....letting go!

Hey, you Americans spell lots of things wrong...missing "u"s, "e" and "r" reversed, etc.

...and I'm pretty sure it only takes three dots to denote missing or deleted text. :yes:

D'oh, I missed a few.

There should be a comma after "suffice it to say", and an apostrophe right after...for "it's" (it's the proper place for the apostrophe there!)

...and I'm pretty sure it only takes three dots to denote missing or deleted text. :yes:

Three to denote missing or deleted text within a paragraph. Four to denote missing or deleted text across multiple paragraphs.

Back