New GPS question

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Do any of you have the new Lowrance 600C GPS? If so, what do you think of it, I am thinking about buying one.

I looked at it at SNF. Very nice, especially at the price. The screen is a little small, but it has great resolution and the unit is packed with features.

Re: New GPS question - Lowrance AirMap 600C

I am thinking of getting that one too - Just saw it at Lancaster's AirWays store this past weekend and the price seems too good to be true. Did anyone get it between May and now? Or knows of any reviews?
________
Volcano vaporizers

Last edited:
I guess throw me on that list of people who haven't answered yor question but also want the info. :D:D.

It looks cool in the adds and stuff Iwas reading on the red board made sound even better. I will be in Florida later this month and I'll stop by Sarasota avionic to test drive one.

Last edited:
I ended up buying the AirMap 500 from GPS world in Chicago for $299.00 + S&H. I have been very happy with it so far.

I went ahead and got the Lowrance 600C. The weather this past weekend wasn't great so I did not get a chance to really test it up in the air, but from the little time I spent with it, it looks like a keeper. I was able to figure out most of the settings and options without looking at a (poorly written) manual. I'll post more as I get some actual in-flight usage.

On a side note, for people that are looking for a portable unit that performs well in the air, but can be used on the ground and water without extra expenses, this one seems promising. For those who sail (or powerboat), it is worth mentioning that event the base map that comes preloaded on the MMC contains all the navigation marks (buoys). Due to a malfunctioning MMC card reader I was not yet able to load any custom maps that provide more ground/water detail from the included MapCreate software.

So far, I have two major annoyances, and both are related to MapCreate software and loading custom maps onto the GPS unit. In order to run MapCreate software on your PC, you need to put one of the installation CDs in your computer while you are starting it up, which is very annoying. So, if you have it installed on a laptop, you better remember to always bring that CD with you. Worse yet, if you have one of those small laptops with no built-in CD drive, you better remember to always have that external CD drive with you. The other issue is related to the MMC/SD card reader. You can only use the one they supply to transfer data from your computer to the GPS unit and back. So, if you already have a small/compact MMC/SD reader, you can not use it. It is all related to their copyright/piracy protection, but I think they are going a little bit too far. I am ok with the fact that the Jeppesen database that comes with the unit is locked to that specific memory card (even thought this limits your back-up options and upgrading to a larger size memory card means having to buy another card from Lowrance without being able to trade the smaller one in), but having to put in a CD every time you run the software on a PC is a bit too much.
________
Herbal Vape

Last edited:
Back