New Gopro Hero 12 Bluetooth connection to G1000

Ivan Z.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Roundel
I fly 172s with G1000 (one is PFD and second one is MFD).
Other than that AI, AS indicator and Altimeter as secondary.
I just got new Gopro hero 12 that has Bluetooth audio connectivity and records audio on 2 channels both Bluetooth and outside microphone (the one on the Gopro camera itself).
My Bose A20(also Bluetooth) would conect via Bluetooth to Gopro Hero 12 fine but as soon as the avionics are on the connection between GoPro and Bose A20 headset would drop.
Looks like A20 is prioritizing airplane panel Bluetooth versus Gopro(as it should) but I was hoping there is something I can do to record audio via Bluetooth without using cable or any adapters.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221211_125649.jpg
    20221211_125649.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
I think that's a really good idea and I hope someone has a solution. But why are you connecting the A20 Bluetooth to the panel? Doesn't it plug into the panel for com radios? I have G1000 mfd and pfd too.

I use the media mod on a GoPro Hero 9 (wired) and I just bought a GoPro Hero 12 that I plan to start using soon...

There is a discussion about this on the Cirrus forums too. It may depend on your audio panel… on the GMA 350c you need to go into “Bluetooth recording mode”. Check the manual on Garmin‘s website for instructions for your particular audio panel.

I think that's a really good idea and I hope someone has a solution. But why are you connecting the A20 Bluetooth to the panel? Doesn't it plug into the panel for com radios? I have G1000 mfd and pfd too.

I use the media mod on a GoPro Hero 9 (wired) and I just bought a GoPro Hero 12 that I plan to start using soon...
Thank you for your comment.
I think that Bose A20 can only work with one Bluetooth device at time.
I connected GoPro with Bose A20 pluged into the panel(via 2 pin cables) but before turning the avionics and it recorder audio fine.
But as soon as avionics are on GoPro is getting kicked out.
I didn't had a chance to go to GoPro settings while avionics were on.

Thank you for your comment.
I think that Bose A20 can only work with one Bluetooth device at time.
I connected GoPro with Bose A20 pluged into the panel(via 2 pin cables) but before turning the avionics and it recorder audio fine.
But as soon as avionics are on GoPro is getting kicked out.
I didn't had a chance to go to GoPro settings while avionics were on.
Why are you connecting A20 to the panel via Bluetooth?

Delete that connection and connect A20 to GoPro Hero 12 only.

There is a discussion about this on the Cirrus forums too. It may depend on your audio panel… on the GMA 350c you need to go into “Bluetooth recording mode”. Check the manual on Garmin‘s website for instructions for your particular audio panel.
Thank you.
I will have to check which audio panel is in the plane.
Bose A20 can only work with one Bluetooth device at time and maybe this is the problem.
I don't need to be connected to the panel via Bluetooth since I have 2 pin cables plugged into the panel but either Bose or panel is overtaking Bluetooth from GoPro once avionics/comms are on.
Do you have a link to Cirrus forum by any chance?
Are those settings accessible in G1000 settings?

Why are you connecting A20 to the panel via Bluetooth?

Delete that connection and connect A20 to GoPro Hero 12 only.
I don't.
Those are the steps I do:
A20 are plugged in with 2 pin cables to the panel.
Plane is off.
Avionics are off.
I turn on A20 and turn on Bluetooth on A20 and conect A20 to GoPro Hero 12 via Bluetooth only and it works(on the GoPro settings it says paired with Bose A20) but as soon avionics are on that connection dropps without my input.
Panel overtakes A20's Bluetooth connection somehow and I am looking for way to prevent this.
I don't need to be conected to the panel via BT.

I recorded brief video yesterday before turning avionics and it recorded fine on the channels(both Bluetooth and camera mic).
But following video that was recorded after starting the plane/ avionics and while flying didn't recorded Bluetooth audio just the audio from GoPro Hero 12 mic which is of course very loud and unable to pick up ATC communication.

So somehow at some point you paired A20 Bluetooth to your panel. Unless A20 pairs to things automatically without being granted permission, which I doubt.

I believe you either need to delete that pairing via the panel or clear all pairing in the A20 and repair only to GoPro...

Possible that A20 is prioritizing airplane panel to anything else which is totally understandable. It was made to be aviation headset after all.
"I believe you either need to delete that pairing via the panel"- how would I access this ?
"or clear all pairing in the A20 and repair only to GoPro..."- maybe I can turn off A20 power after avionics are on and turn it back on and then go to settings on GoPro Hero 12 and try to pair it again?

I have G1000NXi MFD and PFD. I have the GoPro Hero 9 with a media mod attachment installed. I have a 1/4 inch plug in the passenger headset port which has a Y adapter on it and I plug a 3.5 mm audio cable into that adapter and into the media mod mic input on the GoPro. The Y adapter also allows you to plug in a headset too. Additionally, I plug in an external USB-C power brick into the media mod to power the camera.

I have a Lightspeed Delta Zulu headset and am not using any Bluetooth connection. I use the Bluetooth in the panel to connect to my phone only so I can play music through my phone into the panel, therefore, play music to any plugged in headset.

I just recently purchased the GoPro Hero 12 and have not yet removed it from the box. But you gave me a great idea in that I can connect the headset and Hero 12 via Bluetooth eliminating that wired adapter/connection and need for the media mod. That would leave me only one wired connection; the one between the Hero 12 and a power brick.

I have a USB-C port in the airplane too but it would pick up slight engine/electrical noise in the wired connection recordings. Now that I'm eliminating the wired audio connection, maybe that would go away under the above Bluetooth solution. So I need to test that...

Possible that A20 is prioritizing airplane panel to anything else which is totally understandable. It was made to be aviation headset after all.
"I believe you either need to delete that pairing via the panel"- how would I access this ?
"or clear all pairing in the A20 and repair only to GoPro..."- maybe I can turn off A20 power after avionics are on and turn it back on and then go to settings on GoPro Hero 12 and try to pair it again?

I don't think the panel would pair initially without permissions, regardless of it being an aviation headset. But I don't own a Bose A20 so I don't know for sure.

I would assume your G1000 manual would tell you how to unpair devices. Or, look in your G1000 settings. Or, chat with Garmin.

Or better yet, maybe you can just turn Bluetooth off on the panel.

I would also look in your A20 manual or contact Bose to identify how to clear all your Bluetooth pairings in the headset, then just only pair your GoPro.

So you connect your headset to your GoPro, then you turn on the panel and it overrides the GoPro and connects your headset to the panel. So maybe at that point turn the camera off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on, and your headset will override the panel and connect back to the GoPro???

"I just recently purchased the GoPro Hero 12 and have not yet removed it from the box. But you gave me a great idea in that I can connect the headset and Hero 12 via Bluetooth eliminating that wired adapter/connection and need for the media mod. That would leave me only one wired connection; the one between the Hero 12 and a power brick."---

New GoPro Hero 12 has better battery life too but depends how long are your flights are, I guess. The whole reason for me to purchase new GoPro was to eliminate wires hanging all over.
I recorded 1 hour 8 minutes yesterday in 5k resolution at 60 f/s with max mode 2.0 before battery died.

I don't think the panel would pair initially without permissions, regardless of it being an aviation headset. But I don't own a Bose A20 so I don't know for sure.

I would assume your G1000 manual would tell you how to unpair devices. Or, look in your G1000 settings. Or, chat with Garmin.

Or better yet, maybe you can just turn Bluetooth off on the panel.

I would also look in your A20 manual or contact Bose to identify how to clear all your Bluetooth pairings in the headset, then just only pair your GoPro.

So you connect your headset to your GoPro, then you turn on the panel and it overrides the GoPro and connects your headset to the panel. So maybe at that point turn the camera off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on, and your headset will override the panel and connect back to the GoPro???

I will try this today.
FYI so far best video recordings were with Max Lens Mode 2.0 and default settings which is Max SuperView mode 4k 16:9 at 30fps.
It will be best once audio is recorded too.

FYI so far best video recordings were with Max Lens Mode 2.0 and default settings which is Max SuperView mode 4k 16:9 at 30fps.
It will be best once audio is recorded too.

I have my GoPro 9 setup just behind me in the center of the cockpit. This captures out the windscreen, side windows, and my throttle, prop, and mixture lever positions. With this setup I get too much glare in the windscreen with the max lens mod on the Hero 9 so I installed a ND filter and use the widest mode, which I think is super view (GoPro is at the hanger). I use 4K @ 30fps and everything else is default. That works perfect for desktop computer and TV playback and I can even read the panel gauges in this mode...

One advantage to the media mod is it has a micro HDMI connection so you can play the videos off the GoPro media mod installed on camera directly to a HDMI connected television.

Last edited:
Most of my flights are cross country flights and exceed the battery capacity...
Check out re-fuel.com. I use it for my gopro 10s and get 4 hours of battery time. Thought about buying the 12s but at this point got better things to waste my money on. I have great paper weightweights and drawer occupants from my go pro 1, 3, 5, 8, 9. Some of which I got two or three of.

Any luck???
I flew on Sunday and restarted the GoPro and Bluetooth connection to the Bose A20 after the plane and avionics were on. It recorded audio, but only my voice – no passenger or ATC communication, surprisingly. After about 10 minutes, the connection dropped again, and I lost audio recording from the headset completely. I called Bose, and I will try again over the weekend with the same setup. Before that, I will forget/delete my cellphone from the Bose A20 Bluetooth connection (the representative said it might have picked up and somehow prioritized the cellphone over the GoPro).

The strange thing is that only my voice was recorded, not ATC or the copilot. Someone at the airport mentioned that this has to do with the legal and safety aspects of ATC communications. Supposedly, they don't want to allow just any Bluetooth device to tap into ATC comms."
Have you been able to test that new GoPro at all?

The strange thing is that only my voice was recorded, not ATC or the copilot. Someone at the airport mentioned that this has to do with the legal and safety aspects of ATC communications. Supposedly, they don't want to allow just any Bluetooth device to tap into ATC comms."
Have you been able to test that new GoPro at all?
Not sure how that could be accomplished nor why that would be the case given things like live ATC and similar sites with archival and live atc communications as well as the ability to record directly through a wired connection. My guess it would have something to do with it recording what you are transmitting from your pilots headset and not recording what you are receiving.

Check out re-fuel.com. I use it for my gopro 10s and get 4 hours of battery time. Thought about buying the 12s but at this point got better things to waste my money on. I have great paper weightweights and drawer occupants from my go pro 1, 3, 5, 8, 9. Some of which I got two or three of.
Thank you for this. Inexpensive way to secure hours of recording. Hoping they will soon come with the one for GoPro Hero 12.

Most of my flights are cross country flights and exceed the battery capacity...
I usually use multiple cameras when I fly over interesting landscape. Many times I shoot cross country flights with at least one of my GoPro10's in time lapse mode. Significantly extends battery life, and most times I'm speeding up the video anyway in the final edit

>>Thought about buying the 12s but at this point got better things to waste my money on.<<
Hi.
All the later models from GoPro that I tested, after GP5, are not something that I would purchase any longer. They are heat sensitive, they are difficult to activate manually, they have very impractical lay outs of the connectors, battery covers..

Back