New Glare shield

JRitt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JRitt
My old glare is in need of replacement and I am looking at using this one.
http://www.aircraftglareshield.com/
Has anyone seen this one installed? I am also planning on installing 2 18" electroluminescent strips to the bottom of it. I have'nt decided on green or red yet.

I have not seen an airplane with one of these, but they look nice. My a/c has a glare shield that is made out of leather or something like that and has withstood the test of time. The previous owner had it installed at least 15 years ago. I am not sure how the fiberglass one will hold up over time though, so they may be just as good.

If you are interested in the type that I have I can contact the previous owner and find out where he found it.

I've heard both good and bad about the lighting strips. I too would like to do something to enhance lighting, but I am not sure which is the best method.

Yes Sir I have. I own and operate an Aircraft Interior shop. I have installed these shields before. As for your answer are they good but simple in appearance.Do you tend to pull on your glare sheild?If you do try to avoid this habit. I had clients that use it to pull themself up when adjusting their seat position. "no, NO" My instructor used to swat my hands with a ruler! lol They do hold up better than a foam type Glairshield. Its been my experience that most of my clients have ask to recover thier Glairshield in Leather or a simuation type fabric. Just for appearance to take away that plastic cheap look. But if your not a picky guy and you dont mind that "student Training plane appearance" go with it. You are only doing the aircraft good by replacing it. As for lighting the light strip are indeed unique. I have some clients report problems with adhesion issues in HOT coditions. Others love them, Red is popular choice but GREEN by some superstitious pilot say "NOT"!lol Concider blue,it is soft to the eyes. Can You afford to replace them if they become inop. Some times that bulb change is a little easier.Anyway take care of your ships interior like you would a luxury car and youll get years of use. Hope this helps Out

Dan "The Inside Man"
WWW.DTechAir.com

Thanks for the info Dan. I don't use the glare shield to pull myself up but thats how my foam one got ripped off.

JRitt, I have that exact glare shield in my POS Piper. The previous owner installed it in 2003. Until last July the plane sat at 5,800 msl on a south facing tie-down under the AZ sun. A bit of soap and water got it looking like new.

And I have those light strings. My only complaint is the strings don't extend far enough down the edges of the panel to illuminate the lower instruments. Other than that I like the blue lights.

i had a dennis ashby glareshield in my pa28 for a couple years. it was a decent product. certainly very durable. my only gripe was when i flew in a direction that made the sun shine on it there was a horrible glare on the windshield. it just too shiney. i finally cut a piece of black felt roughly the same size and laid it on top. i got tired of the thing and bought one from the guys at aircraftdoorseals.com. It is much more pleasing to the eye and I am much happier with no reflected glare! fwiw, tc

Back