New GA FBO coming to PTK

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
HI Gang
I got a phone call from Barry Sutton last week, he told me he was moving his FBO to PTK. A place where GA pilots can hang out and tell lie's. He will also have a glass panel 172 for rent along with the Citbria. I can't wait for the move. It will be nice to have a GA friendly FBO at PTK.

Regards Mike

HI Gang
I got a phone call from Barry Sutton last week, he told me he was moving his FBO to PTK. A place where GA pilots can hang out and tell lie's. He will also have a glass panel 172 for rent along with the Citbria. I can't wait for the move. It will be nice to have a GA friendly FBO at PTK.

Regards Mike

Wow, where will it be and will he keep the FBO at Lapeer or is he leaving lapeer?

Knowing the owner, it will be a great place to hang out! I'll have to stop by next time I'm in town

Missa

Wow, where will it be and will he keep the FBO at Lapeer or is he leaving lapeer?

Knowing the owner, it will be a great place to hang out! I'll have to stop by next time I'm in town

Missa
Hi Missa
He is still keeping the school in Lapeer, but his main school will now be based at PTK. He is leasing the Aviation Station building and hanger. Barry will be doing all of his check rides at PTK now. Yes I also think it will be a great place to hang out and do some hanger flying. It is something PTK has needed for a long time, a GA friendly FBO that wants you to just stop by and hang out. It will also be better for me when I rent the Citbria being Im only 5 mins from PTK.

Regards Mike

Regards Mike

HI Gang
I got a phone call from Barry Sutton last week, he told me he was moving his FBO to PTK.

Great news! (For us southerners, at least.)
Thanks for posting this Mike. I haven't flown tailwheel since he put the new Citabria on the line. Now, not only will the Citabria back in range, but we'll have a place to hang out, too...:D

When's the move?

Great news! (For us southerners, at least.)
Thanks for posting this Mike. I haven't flown tailwheel since he put the new Citabria on the line. Now, not only will the Citabria back in range, but we'll have a place to hang out, too...:D

When's the move?
Hi Joe
Barry called me last wenesday and gave me the news. He hope's to be moved in by the first of Feb. He is going to call me when he has a move in date. I can't wait to play in the Citbria myself, I have flowen it once but it's a bit of a drive to Lapeer for me to fly. Will let you know when the date is firm for move-in. I sure miss flying 55CW

Regards Mike

Heck, I didn't even know Barry was at Lapeer (I assume you mean D95). I tried to get in there last summer because a friend was having a waterski tournament on a man made lake about a quarter mile from the airport but the weather was too low to make the approach. I sure wish they had a GPS approach. I get to Pontiac now and then as well and will certainly head for Barry's new diggs the next time I go there.

Heck, I didn't even know Barry was at Lapeer (I assume you mean D95). I tried to get in there last summer because a friend was having a waterski tournament on a man made lake about a quarter mile from the airport but the weather was too low to make the approach. I sure wish they had a GPS approach. I get to Pontiac now and then as well and will certainly head for Barry's new diggs the next time I go there.
Barry has been at D98 for years so this is a big step for him. It will be nice to just have a place to hang out and talk airplane's. Hey Missa it was a year ago Saturday that 55CW was crashed. I'm taking Geno's family for a plane ride Saturday and will also do a low pass over the crash site.:(

Regards Mike

Barry has been at D98 for years so this is a big step for him. It will be nice to just have a place to hang out and talk airplane's. Hey Missa it was a year ago Saturday that 55CW was crashed. I'm taking Geno's family for a plane ride Saturday and will also do a low pass over the crash site.:(

Regards Mike

Have fun on that flight, it may be hard to have fun but that's how it should be and how Geno would have it. There wasn't a time when I got in the plane with him and he didn't say. " Now, everything is just right with the world" or "Ahh, this is how it should be". Nothing brought him more peace and happyness as taking off the Citabra, and it was contagious.

Which family members will be going? His kids or his siblings? At the funeral the kids seemed less enthused about the airplane thing, but they were still hurting. It was his Dad, his sister and some neices and nephews that went to the airport to do a little dedication there after the funeral. They went to just outside the fence near the crash site, the airport manager gave them a radio tuned to tower and the tower closed 9 L to all traffic but one plane, which did a couple of low touch and go's over the family after they placed a couple of wreaths from the funural at the fence. They really loved it. I'm glad I went to that part.

God speed Geno.

Missa

Heck, I didn't even know Barry was at Lapeer (I assume you mean D95).

Yep, D95 was wehre Barry was operating. And that was where two years ago in the 15th he handed me a little peice of paper making me a pilot. :D

Then the following weekend he additcted me the Citabra.

Missa

Last edited:
Have fun on that flight, it may be hard to have fun but that's how it should be and how Geno would have it. There wasn't a time when I got in the plane with him and he didn't say. " Now, everything is just right with the world" or "Ahh, this is how it should be". Nothing brought him more peace and happyness as taking off the Citabra, and it was contagious.

Which family members will be going? His kids or his siblings? At the funeral the kids seemed less enthused about the airplane thing, but they were still hurting. It was his Dad, his sister and some neices and nephews that went to the airport to do a little dedication there after the funeral. They went to just outside the fence near the crash site, the airport manager gave them a radio tuned to tower and the tower closed 9 L to all traffic but one plane, which did a couple of low touch and go's over the family after they placed a couple of wreaths from the funural at the fence. They really loved it. I'm glad I went to that part.

God speed Geno.

Missa
Hi Missa
I was the pilot of that plane one year ago. I did a low pass and when over the crash site I said on the Radio " God Speed Geno God Speed my Friend" Im not sure which family members will be there. I talked to his brother Terry and he told me the family would be there. I hope Geno's kids are there. It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about that flight a year ago. Say a prayer for our friend on Saturday.

Regards Mike

Hi Missa
I was the pilot of that plane one year ago. I did a low pass and when over the crash site I said on the Radio " God Speed Geno God Speed my Friend" Im not sure which family members will be there. I talked to his brother Terry and he told me the family would be there. I hope Geno's kids are there. It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about that flight a year ago. Say a prayer for our friend on Saturday.

Regards Mike

Ahh then I think we have met in person and didn't know it. I was standing at the back of the group when you breifed the family of what would be happening. I was standing close enought to the family when you made that transmission to hear. It made his Dad cry.

Geno doesn't need my prayers anymore. But I will pray for those he left behind.

Missa

Hi Gang
I have a update on the move. I talked to Barry on Saturday afternoon and he told me they would be opening up by the end of this coming week. I told him I needed a Citbria fix. He told me I would be the first one he called to come over at the end of next week and take the yellow bird for a flight. I can't wait to fly that plane again. Missa on another note when I saw Genos family on Saturday I talked to them about putting Genos name on the memorial wall at Oshkosh. They told me they have already sent in the money and his name will be placed on the wall during Air Adventure this year. I will be there for the service and dedication, which will take place on July 29th.

Regards Mike

Hi Gang
I have a update on the move. I talked to Barry on Saturday afternoon and he told me they would be opening up by the end of this coming week. I told him I needed a Citbria fix. He told me I would be the first one he called to come over at the end of next week and take the yellow bird for a flight. I can't wait to fly that plane again. Missa on another note when I saw Genos family on Saturday I talked to them about putting Genos name on the memorial wall at Oshkosh. They told me they have already sent in the money and his name will be placed on the wall during Air Adventure this year. I will be there for the service and dedication, which will take place on July 29th.

Regards Mike

I'll try to make it.

Hi Gang
Well Barrys all moved in his building. I flew the new Citbria for 1.9 hrs yesterday with a 15 kt wind out of the east. Started out using 9L then asked for the new runway 35 for some crosswind work in the citbria. I had a blast 7AC sure is a nice bird. If you ever make by PTK stop at Aviation Station on the North side and say hi.

Regards Mike

Hi Missa
Yes they tore the old hangers down between Royal Air and the Station and built a new 35-17 runway this fall.

Regards Mike

Ahh yes, I remember that. That's why Geno had such cheep rent at that hanger, since it was only aviable untill they put the new runway in.

I guess 18-36 is totally out of commision now. Too bad that was a fun short runway when you could get the tower to let you use it.

Missa

Back