New Flying Club in Northern NJ

Jose Victor Luna

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JLNJ2022
Good evening, glad I joined Pilots of America, While I am still selecting my school for my PL, I have seen a huge demand for additional flying clubs in my area. Either Lincoln Park or Essex County, location is not yet selected.

So my question is important to determine the path I will take in this venture.

I will be starting as a non for profit as required by the FAA. But in this process can members also be officers of the not for profit? What I am hoping to do is start a club where all the members invest equally in one or 2 planes, and share all the expenses. Maintain a low monthly fee to focus our finances on the needs too the planes and the club. Example: Maintenance and repairs, insurance etc.

Would possibly start with Piper Cherokee's as the initial first stage, then progress to something newer, better with a glass panel.

Please share thoughts, concerns, experience etc. I truly appreciate your time and expertise.

PS: If interested in joining as a member/officer please let me know.

I think the clubs in Northern NJ all have waiting lists, so there is demand. I'm hoping the frightening rise in fuel costs doesn't dampen that much.

I believe AOPA has resources to help guide in formation of a club. I don't think there is any reason club members can't be officers...I think that's kind of the norm.

Many clubs charge monthly dues that cover the fixed costs...hanger or tie-down, insurance, perhaps an estimate for what an annual would cost if nothing serious is found. All members pay an equal share of those costs. Fuel and an engine reserve amount (which would also cover any other repairs needed) are then folded into the hourly rate for the plane, so those costs are paid by members in proportion to how much they fly. My club bases its' hourly rate on some multiple of the average price per gallon of fuel purchased the previous month, so it floats up and down (all up, lately) based on fuel costs. I think just over half of the hourly rate goes to actual fuel cost, the rest goes into the engine/maintenance reserve fund.

I think the clubs in Northern NJ all have waiting lists, so there is demand. I'm hoping the frightening rise in fuel costs doesn't dampen that much.

I believe AOPA has resources to help guide in formation of a club. I don't think there is any reason club members can't be officers...I think that's kind of the norm.

Many clubs charge monthly dues that cover the fixed costs...hanger or tie-down, insurance, perhaps an estimate for what an annual would cost if nothing serious is found. All members pay an equal share of those costs. Fuel and an engine reserve amount (which would also cover any other repairs needed) are then folded into the hourly rate for the plane, so those costs are paid by members in proportion to how much they fly. My club bases its' hourly rate on some multiple of the average price per gallon of fuel purchased the previous month, so it floats up and down (all up, lately) based on fuel costs. I think just over half of the hourly rate goes to actual fuel cost, the rest goes into the engine/maintenance reserve fund.

Thank you I appreciate this information. I have reached out to AOPA and am in contact with a few individuals from there as well as the airport manager from Essex County.

I seriously wish you success. Aviation needs more clubs. To answer you question, yes members are the officers and trustees.

Back