New family member.

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
Gretel, our new miniature Schnauzer, arrived on a commercial flight from Dallas friday afternoon about 4:00pm local. My wife left work early to pick her up at the airport. She arrived healthy and in very good shape. After getting her home, she quickly began to establish her place in the family. Of course our other two dogs (Golden Retriever and Siberian Husky) were quite curious, and very receptive, to her and all three of them have become good playmates. We took her to the vet saturday morning for a check out and I'm happy to report she is a very healthy 3 pounds! I'm not normally a small dog person, but I must confess that she is quite the charmer. :yes:

My wife has been wanting one for quite some time, and of course I have been teasing her "toy" dogs. When I was getting ready to go fishing saturday morning, she made sure Gretel was accounted for. ;);)

qsp3py.jpg

Aww, she's cute!

I won't be at all surprised if she ends up the alpha either. ;)

Frank Browne said:
Gretel, our new miniature Schnauzer,

Max, our mini-schnauz was quite a hoot. They have personality.

Greebo said:
Aww, she's cute!

I won't be at all surprised if she ends up the alpha either. ;)

One of the few puppies that remain cute for most of their years.

She's adorable, Frank. We have had Schnauzers for about 10 years now. They are smart, loyal, and extremely brave--they're called the "big little dogs."

Very cute! And travel sized for your convenience.:D
Taylor

Is that a dog or a cat? Can't tell.

:D

Anthony said:
Is that a dog or a cat? Can't tell.

:D

Dog. Actually, the only one in the family not crazy about her is our cat, Cloe. I think she will end up as alpha dog. She backed down our Husky when they first met.:eek:

Small dogs have big cahones, don't they!

Greebo said:
Small dogs have big cahones, don't they!

They do! We all looked at each other in amazement-and amusement-when she snarled at Roxy.:hairraise: But happily they quickly became pals.:)

What a cutie-pie .... :) but, does he sit on your arms purring while you're trying to type on the laptop like my cats ? Actually I'd love to have a small dog as well, but we travel a lot and it would be difficult ....

You can see the top dog attitude in the photo! Cute!

Frank Browne said:
Dog. Actually, the only one in the family not crazy about her is our cat, Cloe. I think she will end up as alpha dog. She backed down our Husky when they first met.:eek:

Just kiddng you Frank. I'm sure she would be feisty with our German Shorthair. But, both being German they would probably team up and takeover the house, or start building high end cars. :)

Very cute BTW!

Anthony said:
Just kiddng you Frank. I'm sure she would be feisty with our German Shorthair. But, both being German they would probably team up and takeover the house, or start building high end cars. :)

Very cute BTW!

Gotta keep an eye on those Germans. Wait a second...I'm German. Never mind.:rofl:

Frank Browne said:
They do! We all looked at each other in amazement-and amusement-when she snarled at Roxy.:hairraise: But happily they quickly became pals.:)
LOL yep, the discussion wen't like this:
puppy: "GRRR! You listen up - you jump when I bark and we'll get along just fine!"
Big lumbering older dog: "Derrr, hokay dokay"
puppy: "Good dog! Now chase me!" ;)

Greebo said:
LOL yep, the discussion wen't like this:
puppy: "GRRR! You listen up - you jump when I bark and we'll get along just fine!"
Big lumbering older dog: "Derrr, hokay dokay"
puppy: "Good dog! Now chase me!" ;)

ROTFLMAO! That's the way it went alright!:rofl:

Cute dog.

I can just imagine the bigger dogs thinking "BAIT"..... ;)

Ought to be a lot of fun.

wsuffa said:
I can just imagine the bigger dogs thinking "BAIT"

My take on it is that that bigger dogs have a built in survival instinct. When they're about to go into a fight, they balance anticipated damage inflicted vs damage received then act accordingly. OTOH small dogs know from the onset that they're going to get wiped out so they don't hold anything back while in bully mode. It's either win or lose and nothing in between while a big dog knows he'll have to live with the results of the fight. Watch the face of a big dog being attacked by a small dog and that look says it all. The big dog is putting himself in the little dogs attack profile and trying to figure it out. "I can obviously take this little thing out in one bite but it's not stopping. This is just WRONG! I have GOT to be missing something important here. What is it???? Why isn't it stopping???"

Congrats on your new packmate. I wish you many happy times together!

terry

fgcason said:
My take on it is that that bigger dogs have a built in survival instinct. When they're about to go into a fight, they balance anticipated damage inflicted vs damage received then act accordingly. OTOH small dogs know from the onset that they're going to get wiped out so they don't hold anything back while in bully mode. It's either win or lose and nothing in between while a big dog knows he'll have to live with the results of the fight. Watch the face of a big dog being attacked by a small dog and that look says it all. The big dog is putting himself in the little dogs attack profile and trying to figure it out. "I can obviously take this little thing out in one bite but it's not stopping. This is just WRONG! I have GOT to be missing something important here. What is it???? Why isn't it stopping???"

Interesting perspective.

Last edited:
My wife had a 3 pound Toy Pomeranian when we got married. She had seen it chase a St. Bernard out of the yard. Dogs don't seem to have any sense of size. That stupid little thing would bark at me as if she could chase me off (I think she was jealous). Didn't work. Silly little thing.

Back