New England/Northeast Fly-In Camping

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by CT-Pilot, Mar 4, 2019.

1. CT-Pilot

CT-Pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drew
    Hi all, new to the group.

Anyone know of airports in the northeast, particularly New England or eastern New York that allow on-field camping? I've been to 2B3 (Parlin Field in Newport, NH) which is great including campsites, fire rings, and loaner bikes to get into town for dinner/drinks, etc. Looking for others similar to that.

2. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  3. CT-Pilot

CT-Pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drew
    Starting with designated airports - just came back to flying in the past year after nearly 19 years of not doing so. I am looking to get into some backcountry stuff eventually though - but nothing extreme.

Does B06 have legit campsites as well, or just allows overnight camping? Will have to add to my list for the summer - only looks to be a 2 hour flight or so.

4. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Think so, check the link out, contact info on there too

5. Dana

Dana Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    Many if not most small airports won't object to somebody camping under the wing for a day or two. If the runway is turf it's even more likely that it'll be OK.

A little farther south, Newlon Field (I41) in West Virginia has a campground, on field restaurant, short path down to the river, grass runway, and skydiving operation on the field... what more could anybody want? I stayed there twice; slept under the wing when ferrying my Starduster home, and again in our camper when driving through the area with my wife a year later.

If you're interested in backpacking from an airport, there's this thread on a hiking forum.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    CT-Pilot likes this.
  6. eshazen

eshazen Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric
    Wiscasset, ME airport (KIWI) has a very nice campground nearby: https://chewonkicampground.com/
    It's about a 3/4 mile walk. Haven't stayed there but flew there once with my wife and we visited the campground
    and chatted with the proprietors and it seemed nice.

Bar Harbor, ME (KBHB) is a classic. Local camping is limited to the Narrows Too Camping Resort which is not exactly rustic. Otherwise in the summer there is bus service to various sites on Mt Desert Island including some campgrounds.

On the cape, there is the Dune's Edge campground near Provincetown (KPVC). Well, maybe not "near". Its about 2-1/2 miles. There is taxi service, and I've done it many times on a folding bike. The campground is quite nice.

Bethel, ME (0B1) has the Bethel Outdoor Adventure and campground half a mile away. Have not camped, but did rent canoes from them and had a great time. The campground is small but right on the river and looks really nice.

And finally not in New England but really worth the trip is Billy Mitchell (KHSE) on Cape Hatteras!

mcdewey likes this.
  7. ThereByAir

ThereByAir Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    lllllllll
    I was born and lived in New Hampshire until I was 10 years old, but have only been back to visit a couple times since... We have been planning to fly up there and explore a bit later this year, so thank you all for this information!

Also, we live in NC now and can recommend Ocracoke Island for fly-in camping. The thing to do is land, walk into town (~0.7 miles) and rent a golf cart. The campground is about 4 miles north of the airport and right behind the dunes to the beach. We've camped there several times in our Winnebago, but are looking forward to a fly-in camping trip!

8. BillTIZ

BillTIZ Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    BTIZ
    ME08, Gadabout Gaddis, Private use, permission required. AirNav has the data, but google Gadabout Gaddis for information on the man. Popular fly fishing area.