New England Fall Foliage

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
Any recommendations? I want to keep it within 100 miles of FRG, only because a longer flight wont allow me to spend much time on the ground unless I spend the night somewhere, and the FBO daily minimums keep me from doing that :incazzato:. I flew to Newport, RI (UUU) about a month ago, which is only ~110 NM. I left around 9am and didn't get back to FRG until 6pm. Seems like a lot of time, but I felt rushed the whole day and somehow put 3.1 on the hobbs, cruising at ~100KIAS.

So, after browsing my sectional, I picked KAQW, which is about 120 NM from FRG and in the middle of the Berkshire Mountains. I figure the whole point is the scenery, so I don't need to spend much time at the destination. I'd like to check out the catskills too, maybe west of Stewart (SWF).

I didn't go that far north, but last week I was up around Poughkeepsie/Newburgh. There's a few pictures I took in another thread. Getting out from under the class B, and then following the Hudson up as far as you feel like would probably be a great trip. If you just want sightseeing, I would say the landing is optional, unless you want to log it as cross-country. Columbia Co. (1B1) might work for that.

The area north Long Island Sound is mostly past peak by now. I was up today on a foliage mission and I went west from White Plains to Blairstown NJ and the colors were very nice with the sun out, kinda muddy when the sun went behind the clouds.

If you are asking for next week, I would go to central or Southern PA if that fits your time requirements.

-Skip

I didn't go that far north, but last week I was up around Poughkeepsie/Newburgh. There's a few pictures I took in another thread. Getting out from under the class B, and then following the Hudson up as far as you feel like would probably be a great trip. If you just want sightseeing, I would say the landing is optional, unless you want to log it as cross-country. Columbia Co. (1B1) might work for that.
Your thread is actually what gave me the urge to fly there. I've flown the Hudson valley many times, but never in the Fall.

The area north Long Island Sound is mostly past peak by now. I was up today on a foliage mission and I went west from White Plains to Blairstown NJ and the colors were very nice with the sun out, kinda muddy when the sun went behind the clouds.

If you are asking for next week, I would go to central or Southern PA if that fits your time requirements.

-Skip
I was afraid I would be missing the peak foliage, so going further south might have to happen

I was out west of Stewart and then over to Western MA yesterday (BAF area). The foliage is well past peak in that part of MA. There were some great colors though out by Northern NJ. I would second the recommendation to go further south is you are going next weekend.

Back