New Documentary on JFK Jr. Accident

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by Palmpilot, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    Well done!

Kbedinbound likes this.
  2. Tantalum

Tantalum Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Same here, he had me turn sideways and look down for 30 seconds or so to get the plane out of sorts. But to @SixPapaCharlie point recovery was always pretty easy. Level the wings then fix the attitude.

I will say that haze gives me the willies, because it sneaks up on you slowly. 10 mile vis becomes 7, then 5, then 3...

Edited to add that @eman1200 write up was chilling

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  3. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    That works if you're in a nose-low attitude, but I was taught that if you're in a nose-high attitude, you need to lower the nose before leveling the wings.

4. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Exactly what I was taught.

Nose low: pull throttle, wings level, nose up, adjust throttle.

Nose high: throttle up, nose over, wings level, adjust throttle.

Actually, in the nose up situation you can push the nose over and level the wings simultaneously. In the nose low situation, you almost always want to level the wings first begoee the pull to reduce wing loading.

5. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200

lol thanks, although eman didn't write that..........

6. Tantalum

Tantalum Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    You are right, since you'll be losing airspeed putting the nose down first will help avoid a stall and possible spin

7. MikeS

MikeS Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MikeS
    > "Seems a bit of a harsh indictment."

Of Cirrus drivers? Or of people who despite all their diligence in attempting to become proficient, never get there?

There are some people who, no matter how much instruction they undergo, just don't have the makings of being a proficient pilot. I'm like that with algebra. I couldn't remember the formulas for more than five minutes. I couldn't envision any need I would ever have in life for algebra. My life is mostly over and darned if I wasn't right. I took the basic course twice and failed both years. (Using algebra is a bad example but does illustrate that I'm capable of empathizing with people who cannot learn something no matter how hard they try.) Hopefully these folks who never develop the ability to feel at home in the sky, should they continue to pursue flying even after they realize it's never going to be something that feels natural, hopefully, they integrate this insight into their aviation activity - that is, know their limitations . . . listen to their gut feelings and not their mental constructs . . and leave any passenger seats in the plane empty. My thought is that people who love to fly, who always wanted to fly and eventually got into a position where they could afford to pursue what had been a passion since childhood - these people I think have it in them to instinctively take the right actions and/or make the right choices when the unexpected situation arises . . . without having to think about it too much (presuming good training of course). Disorientation is not an uncommon occurrence. I've experienced it many times over the years. It's common enough that I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying that it's to be expected and comes quite naturally with the territory. He had taken a lot of instruction - appears he was sincerely trying to become a proficient pilot so my comment regarding people who have more money than good sense probably is harsh in this instance.

In all that sincere effort of his to become proficient though, that he wasn't able in this grayout situation to recognize his predicament and fall back on the training he must have received in handling this common aviation hazard . . . that he didn't do this or couldn't do this . . . that he couldn't summon enough presence of mind to at least push the autopilot switch on (as someone has pointed out), prompts me to think he was one of those who just didn't have the innate ability to be doing what he was doing. So I think you're right. What I sad was harsh and judgmental. I realize in retrospect he simply had a disability.

8. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Smithsonian Channel tonight 7:00 CT replay of the JFK crash if anyone interested.

9. glideher

glideher Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    MicroBirds
    ive seen the documentary called "what really really REALLY happened" its a must watch. :p