New CSC Duats

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone logged onto Duats lately?

Looks like it jumped 10 years ahead from the old format.

Anyone logged onto Duats lately?

Looks like it jumped 10 years ahead from the old format.

Pretty pretty pretty but unnecessary & unwanted. At least the aircraft profiles and stored routes were carried over.

There's no reason to waste bandwidth until I ask for the color graphics.

I am underwhelmed. IMHO it's another example of "Let's Add Cute Graphics and to H*LL with the bandwidth"! Now, if I'm someplace with slow access, this is going to be miserable.

IMHO it's another example of "Let's Add Cute Graphics and to H*LL with the bandwidth"! Now, if I'm someplace with slow access, this is going to be miserable.

Yeah, after the initial awe factor, it does seem like more bandwidth killing than content. There are a few nice additions:

Ability to click back and forth on different sections of the brief...ie winds aloft, TAFs, NOTAMs..etc instead of always having to scroll back and forth.

I also like the ability to access some of the NWS products (like weather charts) through the briefing.

But overall, it does seem like it is a bandwidth killer if you are on a smartphone or low powered laptop.

Response back from CSC about my feedback

"[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with the new website. You can currently still access the old website at duats.com/classic."[/FONT]

It could be much worse. I am relieved that they did not go too hard on the bling.

I use AOPA's Flight Planner and integrated weather. They have made some improvements also, but I have not experienced problems, even on an I phone.

Pretty pretty pretty but unnecessary & unwanted. At least the aircraft profiles and stored routes were carried over.
Not all. The only aircraft profile they carried over for me was the old one I had for Maverick's Cardinal. I had to re-enter my profile for 8JT.

The biggest problem seems to be design by computer weenies rather than users. Something as simple as a user name can't be simple.....ie, despite the instruction stating that using your phone number or pilot cert number it appears that it can't be done. Everything I try is not usable according to them. The number they gave me is not possible to remember so unless I'm on my home computer I'm screwed. They can't seem to get my last name and pilot cert number into their database so I can't even get my user ID without calling them. What a pain......the new setup isn't any better....its just more flowery.

Frank

Back