New Computer

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Well, I just got my new computer, a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad X61 with the daylight touchscreen. It has a Centrino Pro Core Duo processor. Thanks to Dave Kralls girlfriend Robbie, I own a copy of Vista Ultimate and Office Ultimate. When I went to upgrade the Vista, it comes with 2 disks, a 32 bit and a 64 bit. When I put in the 64 bit, it wouldn't upgrade and told me I should boot from the CD for the 64 bit. So therein lies my question. What does the 64 bit do for me the 32 doesn't. It is my (perhaps eroneous) impression that the core duo processor supports true multi tasking allowing back ground programs to operate on one processor, and the active program to operate on the other. So, I'm suspecting that it's the 32 bit software that supports this. Am I incorrect on this?

The last I heard there all kinds of problems getting applications and drivers to work on 64 bit Windows XP. You won't have the driver issue on Vista IF you don't add some new third party hardware, but you might have it with non-MS applications.

I'd stick with the 32 bit version. I think it'll run as fast.

The last I heard there all kinds of problems getting applications and drivers to work on 64 bit Windows XP. You won't have the driver issue on Vista IF you don't add some new third party hardware, but you might have it with non-MS applications.

I'd stick with the 32 bit version. I think it'll run as fast.

So far, speed isn't an issue, this thing smokes.... So what are the differences in how it acts within the architecture?

You are going to experience a crapload of driver problems on 64 bit Vista. All the drivers must be specifically designed to operate in it. If it's a 32 bit driver--it's a no go.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1426/vista_64_bit_or_32_bit_version_x64_vs_x86

I couldn't agree more. I have one machine running Vista 64 Ultimate, and although it's scary fast, finding drivers is a nightmare. Manufacturers still consider Win64 to be a niche operating system used mainly by enthusiasts, and driver support is pretty slim. I have an easier time finding Linux drivers than Win64 ones.

Rich

But more to your question, Henning, I dual boot the 64-bit machine with Windows XP (32), and I do enjoy a definite improvement when doing serious multitasking in 64.

When I'm running Dreamweaver, editing half a dozen pictures in Fireworks, ripping a DVD (legally) and converting it to a Flash file for a site, and listening to Napster, simultaneously, 64-bit does indeed handle the load much more easily running on the identical hardware.

For more normal use, there's not as much difference.

Rich

When I'm running Dreamweaver, editing half a dozen pictures in Fireworks, ripping a DVD (legally) and converting it to a Flash file for a site, and listening to Napster, simultaneously, 64-bit does indeed handle the load much more easily running on the identical hardware.

For more normal use, there's not as much difference.

Rich

Be careful there Rich, look what has happened already because of "serious multitasking".

Be sure to watch till the end. Nigeria has suffered enough already.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/breaking_news_all_online_data

You are going to experience a crapload of driver problems on 64 bit Vista. All the drivers must be specifically designed to operate in it. If it's a 32 bit driver--it's a no go.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1426/vista_64_bit_or_32_bit_version_x64_vs_x86

So far I've just upgraded to the 32 bit version of Vista Ultimate. Does this mean I'm not going to experience all the program and device incompatability problems that I keep hearing people gripe about, and does this mean it will or won't do the true multi processor multi tasking?

So far I've just upgraded to the 32 bit version of Vista Ultimate. Does this mean I'm not going to experience all the program and device incompatability problems that I keep hearing people gripe about, and does this mean it will or won't do the true multi processor multi tasking?

You will not experience as many device incompatibilities. You will experience some. For example, HP's AIO drivers for Vista... well, they suck. And some software (like almost anything pre-2007 made by Intuit) will give you a serious case of acita. But for the most part, most Win32 apps written for XP can be made to work with Vista 32, and you will not experience nearly as many hardware problems as you would with Vista 64.

But no, you will not be fully exploiting the processor's full capabilities.

For my clients, I'm keeping all but a very few on 32-bit. The few I have on 64 were already on XP-64, and are mainly people who truly need every last ounce of performance they can coax out if the machine because of the work they do. For everyone else, if they go Vista at all, it's 32-bit.

Rich

You have fun with that Vista dude. You know I almost threw those HP back at Fry's.

You have fun with that Vista dude. You know I almost threw those HP back at Fry's.

Yeah, I remember. Thing is at this point, if I wanted XP, I'd have to buy a copy to install, everything comes with Vista.

Yeah I know. I had to get my new servers through my POS servicer. I'm sure there are a lot of copies of XP around that you can "buy" ;) . But uninstalling Vista is a hoot. And you should have seen that poor machine that I tried to force NT2000 on. To say nothing of the look on the techs face at the return desk. He walked back over from his bench and looked at my reciept date, then sort of giggled and muttered something about less than 24 hours. :dunno: :p That thing was a real mess.

Yeah I know. I had to get my new servers through my POS servicer. I'm sure there are a lot of copies of XP around that you can "buy" ;) . But uninstalling Vista is a hoot. And you should have seen that poor machine that I tried to force NT2000 on. To say nothing of the look on the techs face at the return desk. He walked back over from his bench and looked at my reciept date, then sort of giggled and muttered something about less than 24 hours. :dunno: :p That thing was a real mess.

In spite of Microsoft's fighting it tooth and nail, you can specify Windows XP as the OS when you order a new Dell or such. You can buy OEM Windows XP licenses "with hardware" at NewEgg for $90 for home and $140 for XP Pro. :hairraise: But that means you get to pay twice. Better you make teh PC maker give you XP instead of Vista.

Reading now that even on XP they can and just did install updates silently without any notice to you whatsoever, I can't imagine letting them have the kind of control over your PC they have with Vista.

Back