New Commercial Pilot

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Well, I joined the ranks of commercial pilots. Man, was I beating myself up for the checkride. Nervous and dreading it. Apparently, though, the only requirement to pass is not to kill the DE. Because with all the wind and turbulence, I surely wasn't doing very well. I was so nervous, even some of my procedures were not done properly, although I did manage to regroup and do some of them right. So now I get to change some of my letters.

And, of course, continue the learning.
:cheerswine:

Congrats !!! What was your favorite "trick" to perform ?

Aztec Driver said:
Well, I joined the ranks of commercial pilots. Man, was I beating myself up for the checkride. Nervous and dreading it. Apparently, though, the only requirement to pass is not to kill the DE. Because with all the wind and turbulence, I surely wasn't doing very well. I was so nervous, even some of my procedures were not done properly, although I did manage to regroup and do some of them right. So now I get to change some of my letters.

Excellent. Now you can earn the big bucks :rofl::rofl::rofl::eek:

Dave Krall CFII said:
Cool.
What things did you do so badly?

The first engine failure procedures. It was done so differently (as in a lot safer) that I did not do the standard mixture/props/throttles routine. I actually went to pull the throttles back, until I heard the horrible sound of lowering engine power, which galvanized my thoughts a little. I also landed short of the mark in the crosswind landing. At least it was on the centerline, (in the "lake") but lined up with the centerline. It was a really stiff crosswind requiring almost all of the right rudder to compensate for, add to that the turbulence and gusty conditions, and then have the law of primacy kick in so that at the threshold I pull the power back, and you end up with a shorted landing. I had a good time though. The DE is one to learn a lot from if you listen to him.

Aztec Driver said:
The first engine failure procedures. It was done so differently (as in a lot safer) that I did not do the standard mixture/props/throttles routine. I actually went to pull the throttles back, until I heard the horrible sound of lowering engine power, which galvanized my thoughts a little. I also landed short of the mark in the crosswind landing. At least it was on the centerline, (in the "lake") but lined up with the centerline. It was a really stiff crosswind requiring almost all of the right rudder to compensate for, add to that the turbulence and gusty conditions, and then have the law of primacy kick in so that at the threshold I pull the power back, and you end up with a shorted landing. I had a good time though. The DE is one to learn a lot from if you listen to him.

Now you've got me and some others curious as to what was so different in the engine out sim as to be a lot safer than the others you've done?

Byron, can you give a bit of a play-by-play of the ride?
Did you have to do the 360-degree power off landing? Did you have to do the steep spirals?
(I'm hoping to take my commercial ride this month sometime and could use all the prep I can get!)

--Kath

Good going!! Glad you passed the check ride.

Aztec Driver said:
Well, my checkride was a bit more abbreviated than most would be. I had already done the multi-engine private with instruments, so there wasn't a great deal left to do. Steep turns, stalls, engine failures, slow flight, Vmc demo, normal and crosswind TO and Land, and an accuracy landing, which I really didn't do well at.
Not sure what PTS the DPE was working out of, but you do not carry over credit for the one-engine-inop (OEI) instrument approach from Private-AMEL to Commercial-AMEL. The rating task table does not permit credit for anything done previously at the Private level, so on an initial Commercial with AMEL, every AMEL Area/Task must be completed, including Area X, Task D (Instrument Approach with OEI), as well as the following other tasks you didn't mention:

Area IV, Tasks C and D: Short field t/o and ldg.
Area VI Navigation, Tasks A to D: Pilotage/DR, Nav systems, Diversion, and Lost procedures

Congrats Bryon! Is CFI next?

Aztec Driver said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Congratulations on the commercial,

Best,

Ron Levy said:
Not sure what PTS the DPE was working out of, but you do not carry over credit for the one-engine-inop (OEI) instrument approach from Private-AMEL to Commercial-AMEL. The rating task table does not permit credit for anything done previously at the Private level, so on an initial Commercial with AMEL, every AMEL Area/Task must be completed, including Area X, Task D (Instrument Approach with OEI), as well as the following other tasks you didn't mention:

Area IV, Tasks C and D: Short field t/o and ldg.
Area VI Navigation, Tasks A to D: Pilotage/DR, Nav systems, Diversion, and Lost procedures

Did them too.

DE told me wife you did a good job. He described conditions as, shall we say, less than perfect:rolleyes: Anyone who got their rating last weekend in PA earned it, in those winds. Hat's off to you, and not just because you fed my daughter all your french fries while you were waiting for the DE!

Jim G

Back