New CO aviation weather cameras

That’s pretty nice. Wish these were around when I started flying.

Thanks for posting, Nate. I was not aware any of these existed.

Until LaVeta goes out and they can't get to it for almost a year because of snow.....
Don't understand why Monument needs one, other than seeing the zoomies.
Having a camera at Wilkerson is handy, tho.

Monument would usually be to see if the storm being pushed uphill has it covered in fog. Always there at the ridge...

This is very useful for mountain passes in Colorado and remote parts of Alaska. I am not sure if cameras on a Florida or California airport will be all that useful. That's what AWOS is for.

More sources of data or images is always helpful. Though not right at airports, I often take a look at state highway dept. road cams, (mostly Montana and Wyoming for my flights) sometimes they show an image of the sky near a pass or other area near your destination, just one more clue in making weather decisions.

This is very useful for mountain passes in Colorado and remote parts of Alaska.

Wx cams took a lot of guessing out of flying in Alaska. No more wasting avgas by going out to take a look see.

When I first started flying in Alaska, we would send one plane out to check weather and/or passes.

If the plane did not come back, we waited for better weather before starting the search.

Back