New Cirrus Winglets (close up pics)

For the cost of doing this, perhaps Cirrus could have developed retractable gear.... :stirpot:

ben you say the 2 gph reduction is accurate? holding the same cruise speed?

i don't know a lot about winglets but my understanding is they are very finicky and have to be really tailored to be effective. sometimes you can get them to help you at one AoA but hurt you at others, it is very hard to get a net gain across a range of AoA's. My understanding from the sailplane world is you are usually looking at really small %'s or even fractions of %'s of performance increase with winglets. But the racing classes are span limited and someone won a contest once with winglets so everyone thinks they need them.

For airliners which spend long portions of their life operating at very specific AoA's and are span limited thanks to airport and structural limits it makes sense to me to have something tailored. Plus a .5% performance increase is huge for them in fuel savings.

With this...it looks to me like the new tip must include some sort of span extension. Instead of beefing up the spar or static testing a wing set to destruction to prove that is OK the people came up with some goofy complicated system that basically makes that tip fly in a zero lift condition all the time so that it doesn't add to the bending moment of the wing. But then since there is no pressure differential outboard of the aileron the real wing effectively ends there, so the winglet is just another chunk of fiberglass getting drug through the air. Now you've added two more deflected control surfaces and the winglets. But it makes their Cirrus look like a jet so they'll probably sell some.

Perhaps i'm wrong, but it seems like snake oil to me.

Last edited:
And if you go to 65% at 7000 you'll get 145-150 (if you have wheel pants) at about 9 gph.

These number get me pretty curious. What CHT are you operating at? What RPM/manifold pressure settings? What generation Cirrus is it?

On SR20 G1, I remember getting like 135KIAS at 7000 (in the summer). Full throttle, 2600RPMs, leaned about 25 degrees LOP, burning 8.9GPG. This translates to about 68% power. Highest CHT was at about 360F.

Cirrus-jet-1.jpg

All the elements of the Dr. Killer in one, convenient package. :)

All the elements of the Dr. Killer in one, convenient package. :)
It's mostly going to kill Chinese doctors, as American ones have long stopped being well enough paid for personal aviation. Remember how Dick Karl decided to do more operations in order to afford Cessna Mustang? It was a few short years ago, and now what happened? He ceased operating patients altogether, kept his Cheyenne, and works for a Part 135 outfit driving a Learjet.

Looks like it is taping down (and smoothing the airflow over) external instrumentation wiring.

--Carlos V.

Looks like a strain gage at the leading end of the tape. That would make sense as well. Measuring any added stresses on the wing as a result of the added winglet.

So I'm guessing that the can serve a dual function, as a spoiler, both sides up deflecting against ailerons both down as flaperons. They could also act as high altitude ailerons/augmentors.

It's mostly going to kill Chinese doctors, as American ones have long stopped being well enough paid for personal aviation. Remember how Dick Karl decided to do more operations in order to afford Cessna Mustang? It was a few short years ago, and now what happened? He ceased operating patients altogether, kept his Cheyenne, and works for a Part 135 outfit driving a Learjet.

GOTTA LOVE THE DOCTOR KILLERS:D:D

So I'm guessing that the can serve a dual function, as a spoiler, both sides up deflecting against ailerons both down as flaperons. They could also act as high altitude ailerons/augmentors.

sure if the little tip extension was allowed to contribute any load to the wing.

ben you say the 2 gph reduction is accurate? holding the same cruise speed?

i don't know a lot about winglets but my understanding is they are very finicky and have to be really tailored to be effective. sometimes you can get them to help you at one AoA but hurt you at others, it is very hard to get a net gain across a range of AoA's. My understanding from the sailplane world is you are usually looking at really small %'s or even fractions of %'s of performance increase with winglets. But the racing classes are span limited and someone won a contest once with winglets so everyone thinks they need them.

For airliners which spend long portions of their life operating at very specific AoA's and are span limited thanks to airport and structural limits it makes sense to me to have something tailored. Plus a .5% performance increase is huge for them in fuel savings.

With this...it looks to me like the new tip must include some sort of span extension. Instead of beefing up the spar or static testing a wing set to destruction to prove that is OK the people came up with some goofy complicated system that basically makes that tip fly in a zero lift condition all the time so that it doesn't add to the bending moment of the wing. But then since there is no pressure differential outboard of the aileron the real wing effectively ends there, so the winglet is just another chunk of fiberglass getting drug through the air. Now you've added two more deflected control surfaces and the winglets. But it makes their Cirrus look like a jet so they'll probably sell some.

Perhaps i'm wrong, but it seems like snake oil to me.

Sorry! I was referring to a much earlier post about fuel burn and speeds without winglets. I have no numbers or experience on that Cirrus with them.

Back