New career - A&P

Interesting topic. I've wanted to get my A&P for a while just for working on my own plane and perhaps a few hangar buddy's as well. I have 10 years experience working on jet engines in the Air Force, don't know how far that will get me towards an A&P license but I need to look into it.
Applications Based on Military Experience. Applicants who have not graduated from a FAA‑approved AMTS or JSAMTCC A&P certification program and are applying based on military experience must prove that their military aviation experience, gained in 50 percent of subject areas, meets the requirements of part 147.
1) To help speed the review process, the applicant may supply the following documentation to the FAA:
a) A valid and positive form of picture identification, such as a U.S. driver’s license, passport, or military identification.
b) A properly completed DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, which lists the total time in service and the MOS codes assigned to the applicant. (For current MOS, AFSC, or NEC codes, see Figure 5-135, Military Operational Specialty Codes.)
c) A letter from the applicant’s executive officer, maintenance officer, or classification officer that certifies the applicant’s length of military service, the amount of time the applicant worked in each MOS, the make and model of aircraft and/or engine on which the applicant acquired the practical experience, and where he/she obtained the experience.
d) Training records showing the type of aviation schools the applicant attended and/or a record of
on-the-job training (OJT). Active duty military, selective guard, and reserve members are eligible for a transcript.
2) Time spent in training or in an MOS, AFSC, or NEC for supervision and/or inspection does not count toward the 18 or 30 months of practical experience required in § 65.77. Only actual hands-on experience is acceptable.
3) The JSAMTCC A&P certification program permits military applicants to receive authorization to take the A&P Knowledge Test upon presentation of a military Certificate of Eligibility (see Figure 5-137) and FAA Certification Performance of Job Tasks form (see Figure 5-136).
4) As required by the JSAMTCC A&P certification program process, the applicable branch of service will provide military technicians with an individual FAA Certification Performance of Job Tasks. Upon the completion of the program and validation of all signed tasks, military technicians will issue an official Certificate of Eligibility by the participant’s branch of service along with a signed copy of the FAA Certification Performance of Job Tasks.

NOTE: Individuals issued a Certificate of Eligibility by the military may receive verification through the School Graduation List (SGL) Inspector online database at:
http://av-info.avs.faa.gov/SGLInspector/InspectorLoginList.asp. From this Web site, you may access the online MOS codes by selecting the “JSAMTCCMOSCodes” link in the left-hand column
(see Figure 5-137F, Screenshot of School Graduation List Inspector Online Database). To access JSAMTCC certificate holders by name, select the “Adv Search” link.

5) Sample copies of the FAA Certification and Performance of Job Task and the Certificate of Eligibility are in Figures 5-136 and 5-137, respectively. On the certificate, the seal affixed in the lower-right corner is gold in color, and it carries a raised, embossed stamp from the applicant’s training organization.
6) The military experience must be directly applicable to the certificate and ratings sought.
7) There is no expiration for this eligibility.
8) Advise applicants that the authorization to test is only valid for testing by Designated Mechanic Examiners (DME) exercising privileges within the geographic area served by the FSDO/International Field Office (IFO) granting the authorization. Additional FAA approval is necessary if the applicant wishes to test with a DME in another district. The DME must gain permission from their FSDO/IFO by any written means to conduct a test for an applicant authorized in block V from an inspector from another geographical location.
http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V05 Airman Cert/Chapter 05/05_005_002Rev1.htm

These are the rules the FAA must follow in regards to A&P - http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch5,Sec2

Basically if you can show experience in 50% of the tasks listed in
the subject areas of Appendix A-D Part 147, then you qualify. I wrote a pseudo resume showing I had met the experience requirements and the guy I apprenticed under wrote me a letter and it was a done deal.

Handy dandy color coded document uploaded I used to determine that. Also note to what level they expect you to know the material - Level 1 for example requires no practical application or development of skill.

Attachments

• Appendix A to Part 147.pdf
    261.2 KB · Views: 3
i travel all over this country working on PA46 aircraft and the most common problem that the shops are having is the desperate need for help.
You can keep busy at most any shop. The pay my be low in the beginning but you should have a good time. The secret to good money is to specialize. 37 years of maintenance for me this year and I still love it.

Back