New Car-Ford Edge

JB1842

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Josh
So I wrecked my Grand Cherokee over the weekend. Waiting to hear back from the adjustor to see if it's totalled or not. Sort of hope it is so I can get another car. Loved my Jeep, but I think it's cursed. So does anybody have experience with a Ford Edge?

Personally I'd get a subaru if you're looking for a quasi SUV

Or a 4 runner if you want something bigger.

Last edited:
Other than a quick ride in one, no. But it seemed like a comfortable family truckster.

I did a test drive and liked it, but Im more an Explorer guy

I work at a Ford Dealership, albeit in the Parts/Service side. There are no inherent problems with the Edge and our customers seem to like them and we have many customers who trade in and get another one. I think it boils down to, does it make you smile when you drive it. No matter what make or model you get (they are all about the same in reliability in spite of what anyone says) just find something that fits you and your budget and buy it.

ETA, if you have specific questions about features, warranties, specs, etc. feel free to send me a PM, Ill be glad to answer any question.

I agree with Mike, no real issues with them, about half our Edge buyers trade in an Edge.:D My mother in law bought a used one two years ago, it's over 100K miles now and other than tires, she hasn't spent a dime on it, I'd know if she did! :eek: Drive one for a day if you can! I think you'll like the ride difference from your Jeep. ;) If you are planning on financing it, there is 0% for 72 months going on through the 8th. :yes:

I work at a Ford Dealership, albeit in the Parts/Service side. There are no inherent problems with the Edge and our customers seem to like them and we have many customers who trade in and get another one. I think it boils down to, does it make you smile when you drive it. No matter what make or model you get (they are all about the same in reliability in spite of what anyone says) just find something that fits you and your budget and buy it.

ETA, if you have specific questions about features, warranties, specs, etc. feel free to send me a PM, Ill be glad to answer any question.

Yep. I was looking at them as a replacement for my 16 year jeep XJ. They seem fine. But they were priced higher than I want to spend on a new vehicle. In the end I had to settle for 4 bangers so went with a Mazda cx5 I bought last month. The best thing in my estimation that the edge had going for it is was the cheapest NA 6 cylinder equipped crossover when I was looking. The new restyle in 2015 killed that pricing discount however.

As to reliability. Yeah the jury is still out on that one. Electric laden vehicles all start getting problematic around year 7. I don't expect this Mazda to last me 16 years. I see it in the engine compartment. Everything is plastic and has too many sensors and electric switches. Ditto for de facto required environmental controls in the cabin. Electric switch city. It's just not a good recipe for reliability with use and years of weather/moisture cycles.

We recently got a little Nissan Juke as a quick little car to get around town...it only has an 8 gallon tank because that's all you need to go 350 miles in it.

Last edited:
Right now one of the local dealers has a few Edges for sale that are decently priced. I loved my Jeep and my Explorer I had before that, but for $7000 less, the Edge is made its way to the top of my radar. $7000 buys a lot of avgas.

My wife chose the Edge last year for her daily driver - so far all good.

Comfy, drives well - no negatives that I've seen in the last year.

Isn't Ford's new police interceptor a version of the Edge?

Drive the ford, then go drive a two year old or so, off lease lexus 4x4. No comparison. I had a 92 Ford Mustang 5.0 , it was my last ford. We've owned two toyotas and two lexus. No comparison with ford, in quality , ride and reliability.

Test drove Fords, bought a new 4 Runner. It was an easy decision. Very pleased so far.

Yep. I was looking at them as a replacement for my 16 year jeep XJ. They seem fine. But they were priced higher than I want to spend on a new vehicle. In the end I had to settle for 4 bangers so went with a Mazda cx5 I bought last month. The best thing in my estimation that the edge had going for it is was the cheapest NA 6 cylinder equipped crossover when I was looking. The new restyle in 2015 killed that pricing discount however.

As to reliability. Yeah the jury is still out on that one. Electric laden vehicles all start getting problematic around year 7. I don't expect this Mazda to last me 16 years. I see it in the engine compartment. Everything is plastic and has too many sensors and electric switches. Ditto for de facto required environmental controls in the cabin. Electric switch city. It's just not a good recipe for reliability with use and years of weather/moisture cycles.
16 year old, is it a 99? those XJ's are like gold out here and hard to find a clean one.
there really isn't anything on the market that replaces the XJ, the new cherokee is a joke, the renegade is a joke, all the small suv's have become small crossover/minivans

I've driven several as rentals. Nice enough for the money and a decent ride. but Im not the pickiest driver around.

A friend was looking at those types of smaller SUV/cars. She ended up in a new '15 Subaru Forester. Said the ride was the best of all of them, Ford, Mazda, Buick, etc.

I've driven several as rentals. Nice enough for the money and a decent ride. but Im not the pickiest driver around.

A friend was looking at those types of smaller SUV/cars. She ended up in a new '15 Subaru Forester. Said the ride was the best of all of them, Ford, Mazda, Buick, etc.

I'm not picky, either. I just need the seats to go down to put in camping gear or a dead deer, and I'm good. Can't justify the cost of a truck, and the jeep was a little too big to fit both cars in the garage over the winter, so this might be a good compromise.

A friend had an Edge and liked it. But were I going to buy a Ford I'd get a Mustang. However, given what I know about the founder I doubt I'll be buying a Ford in the near future (or the far one for that matter).

Drive the ford, then go drive a two year old or so, off lease lexus 4x4. No comparison. I had a 92 Ford Mustang 5.0 , it was my last ford. We've owned two toyotas and two lexus. No comparison with ford, in quality , ride and reliability.

Fords are so much better than once they were.

Toyotas were garbage in the early 70s, got better.

Things change. Open minds are good.

This is a survey delta of 1. I do this every day and I don't find this to be true at all.

I had one as a company car a few years ago and loved it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one, if I were shopping for an SUV-like vehicle.

Screw the Edge, get a Wrangler (in other words, a "real" Jeep). Preferably the 2-door version, as the 4-door Unlimited is an abomination (Note: the original Unlimited, the LJ, is awesome). Of course, I know many people who like the abomination Unlimited, and it's still better than the other fake Jeeps (Renegade, Cherokee, Patriot, etc. etc.). An FJ Cruiser is also an acceptable SUV in my mind.

Screw the Edge, get a Wrangler (in other words, a "real" Jeep). Preferably the 2-door version, as the 4-door Unlimited is an abomination (Note: the original Unlimited, the LJ, is awesome). Of course, I know many people who like the abomination Unlimited, and it's still better than the other fake Jeeps (Renegade, Cherokee, Patriot, etc. etc.). An FJ Cruiser is also an acceptable SUV in my mind.

I have looked at them, but the wife will only get a 4 door, which I don't like.

My wife chose the Edge last year for her daily driver - so far all good.

Comfy, drives well - no negatives that I've seen in the last year.

Screw the Edge, get a Wrangler (in other words, a "real" Jeep). Preferably the 2-door version...

got one of those, too. :) not heading cross-country in it tho.

I have looked at them, but the wife will only get a 4 door, which I don't like.

I don't like the 4-door either, but it's still far superior to most of the other junk out there. I've seen one or two tastefully modded ones that I didn't hate.

It seems any new or slightly used car I'd want to own is close to $40K. I may pick up a LR3 in good condition next year. Should be under 20K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I will probably buy one before the end of the month...it's a little tight for me, but everybody else likes it, and it'll do what we need for hauling people and gear with decent mileage.

Not sure if we'll go with the SE (turbo) or S (normally aspirated). Any opinions here on the engines?

My wife and I will probably buy one before the end of the month...it's a little tight for me, but everybody else likes it, and it'll do what we need for hauling people and gear with decent mileage.

Not sure if we'll go with the SE (turbo) or S (normally aspirated). Any opinions here on the engines?

My Focus ST has a variant of the 2.0l Ecoboost (turbo). It's a great engine, at least in the Focus ST.

Go out and rent one for a weekend,to get a true feeling of the vehicle. I liked the one I rented while on a trip.

Fords are so much better than once they were.

Toyotas were garbage in the early 70s, got better.

Things change. Open minds are good.

I've owned: Mercedes, Acura, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Jeep, and Ford.

I've liked the Fords as well as any of the others, and the five domestic cars I've owned have had the lowest total cost of ownership. The 2001 F-150 Supercrew I have now is hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned.

The Germans do have a better driving feel, but it's hard to get excited about a 60k car that isn't as reliable as a 15k Civic. I mean, come on, 4x the money, and you STILL can't make it reliable?

I like Toyota products but this is not a fair comparison. A 1992 ford compared to a modern Toyota product? DUH ANY 2014 vehicle is going to be much improved over a 1992 model

I have a '12 Edge that I got new. I love it. It is comfortable, quick, descent mileage, and I like the Sync system. I haven't had a single issue with it, and I will replace it with another Edge. I drove Mountaineers for years. Even though it is a little smaller, the responsiveness, handling and cost won me over.

Good to know your opinion was educated since you haven't driven a Ford since 1992. No design changes, vehicle platforms, engine/drivetrain tech has been done since then :lol: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think Ford currently has the best top-to-bottom lineup of any car manufacturer for the price. The Fusion is a great car for its class, the F-150/SDs both do their jobs remarkably well, the Edge/Explorer are pretty solid SUV's, too. The Mustang keep leading the pack out of the Big 3 for sports cars (Corvette notwithstanding).

If you want to pretend like Ford doesn't hold a candle to Toyata in terms of quality/reliability, fine, but that just means you ignore the facts from today's vehicles.

My mother drives a '14 Edge and seems to love it. It rides pretty smoothly, and has a lot of bang for the buck in terms of useful accessories (auto lift gate, heated/cooled seats, rearview camera, panoramic sunroof, et.) Only complaint has a rattle that developed with the sunroof that was fixed with a trip to the dealership under warranty. I've driven a few and never had any complaints, as well as a few Explorers.

I love the way that the new Jeep Grand Cherokees look, but man are they fuel pigs and pricey. My neighbor is a mechanic for one of the local Jeep/Dodge dealerships, and has repeatedly said that the first vehicles to come in with 4x4 malfunctions after a rain/snow storm are the GC's. That alone scares me off of them, despite liking the looks so much.

I test drove an Edge this weekend. I will be buying one. Hope to hear back from my insurance company today, they have been slow. I

Back