New Browser Symbol

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
A new symbol has popped up in the lower right hand corner of my browser window (Firefox) and I haven't a clue what it means. It is an orange square with a white dot in the lower left corner and two white parallel quarter arcs above and to the right of the dot. When I hover over it text pops up that says either "Add Live Bookmark fir this page's feed" or something like "no live bookmark available for this page". What is it and what does it do? What is a live bookmark?

I'd guess something put a spybot on your browser. you could try running one of the antispyware products available.

What is a "Live Bookmark"?

I note there is a symbol on the right edge of the address bar (in my case, Firefox), orange square with "radiating" waves. Mouse-hover over it, and tip is "add live bookmark."

So: What is a "live bookmark"? Do I want it, will it help me, educate me, o sainted ones.

Re: What is a "Live Bookmark"?

SCCutler said:
I note there is a symbol on the right edge of the address bar (in my case, Firefox), orange square with "radiating" waves. Mouse-hover over it, and tip is "add live bookmark."

So: What is a "live bookmark"? Do I want it, will it help me, educate me, o sainted ones.

It means the page has an RSS feed. It's a way of saying, "Quick! Tell me what's new?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rss

The amazing thing is recently even Microsoft has agreed to use the same symbol and terminology.

What you want is the Sage plugin, which gives you a great way to view into sites with RSS feeds. http://sage.mozdev.org/

Bobby Day said:
A new symbol has popped up in the lower right hand corner of my browser window (Firefox) and I haven't a clue what it means. It is an orange square with a white dot in the lower left corner and two white parallel quarter arcs above and to the right of the dot. When I hover over it text pops up that says either "Add Live Bookmark fir this page's feed" or something like "no live bookmark available for this page". What is it and what does it do? What is a live bookmark?

That indicates an RSS feed is available to create a "live" bookmark in XML format. Google RSS Feed or XML for more information ;)

Plainly speaking, it allows you to see the forum threads in firefox in your bookmark menu without having to view the actual PoA forum IIRC.

Refer to this thread for more info. Mike Andrews described it well: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5479

Jason

Last edited:
Jason;
That being true, how come I do not have it on my browser (which is Firefox)? Is there a plugin one needs to get RSS?

silver-eagle said:
Jason;
That being true, how come I do not have it on my browser (which is Firefox)? Is there a plugin one needs to get RSS?

Which version of Firefox? I'm running 1.5 and I do not have an extention for RSS feeds, and it pops up for me.

Jason

Just did the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1, the most recently released one. Might Bobby Day already have a plug-in for RSS feeds? I click on an RSS icon (on a web page) and get the raw XML in a browser window. At the top of the window it says: "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."
I've had similar response with NETSCAPE.

silver-eagle said:
Just did the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1, the most recently released one. Might Bobby Day already have a plug-in for RSS feeds? I click on an RSS icon (on a web page) and get the raw XML in a browser window. At the top of the window it says: "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."
I've had similar response with NETSCAPE.

That's odd...I never got an update message about 1.5.0.1. I checked Mozilla's website, but it still states FF 1.5. Is 1.5.0.1 a beta version?

Jason

Back