New bird

Very nice, Ken. Dollar for dollar it's really tough to beat a PA32. Passengers loved the room and big doors on the Lance I used to fly.

I've been using a KLN89B/Garmin 396 combo for quite a while now, and it has sort of grown on me. Once you get used to the King switchology it isn't too bad. Still, a 430W does add capability...

Jay

Sweet. Congratulations. How about a 480/MX200 combo instead of the 430?

If I were between that and the 396, given that neither is certified for IFR, I'd choose the 396. The addition of weather is the clincher for me. Especially since Ken already has an IFR-certified GPS in the plane. I wouldn't yank that for a VFR unit! Besides, you can easily buy the 396 used from someone upgrading to a 496 and later resell it on eBay (or PoA) when you upgrade the panel to the 530W!

Know exactly what you're saying. However, I hate--as in despise--having to rig a GPS up to a yoke or make some panel extension mount, etc.

I like panel mounted com/nav devices. It's a quirk, but it's my quirk. :goofy:

As far as the weather feature goes, THAT would depend on the airplane, its mission, etc.

For my 172, I only fly little short hops/XCs--rarely leaving Texas in it (Oklahoma doesn't count because A. It's Oklahoma, and B. it's only an hour away). It's also slow which means I can see weather developing. I also use Flight Watch a great deal.

The RV is IFR legal but has yet to see IMC. Thus, the 250 panel nav/com in it as well. BUT, it's fast enough (twice as fast as the Skyhawk) to get into changing weather situations. . . . but it's panel isn't big enough to really clutter up, so in THAT instance, a handheld 396 or 496 that I can set off to the right side might be feasible--at least for my partner who will be buying out my half after he gets this year's tax refund.

The Cardinal is my long-distance, serious XC machine. We travel from coast-to-coast in it on a regular basis. I'm headed back up to Oregon next week sometime to meet with the Lancair folks. Next month, we're headed to Florida. Etc. That's where I like the 430:

496iv82.jpg

For the long, long trips, it and I get along very well. With the TAT turbo STC on the Cardinal, I can get up around 12,500 and get some respectable speed. (All I generally care about is ground speed). Like the RV, when you're moving faster, the ground and your landmarks are moving faster. :) Having weather would be nice, but again, that high and at that speed, I can see a ways.

AND. . . all of my trips are strictly optional. Bad weather, I stay on the ground.

Now, when we build the Lancair, it will go faster than hell. It will take the place of our Cardinal for those long, frequent coast-to-coast trips, and yep, I'll probably get the best panel-mounted GPS/com w/wx that I can fit on the panel. Remember--with homebuilts, I can build and design and modify the panel however I wish. Can't do that all the time with certificated birds.

I know where you're coming from and it's certainly not a bad rule to buy nav/com equipment "one step up from what you actually need," it's just that I have this thing about stuff hanging off the panel or the yoke and also, being older, I'm STILL trying to figure out how to fiddle with all those knobs and buttons.

Regards.

-JD

:rofl:

After the Pitts, it's like driving the airport shuttle van.

Nah, you can FIT the airport shuttle van into a PA32:D

I love the fixed gear 'toga we bought into. It is not an exciting flyer, but it shoots an approach like nothing else I've flown. Rock stable.

Jim G

Our club 182 has the KLN-94. I don't like to use the word hate, so I'll just say I have extreme dislike for the King GPS. The Archer has 430's, and I can not fly that plane for a great while, yet jump right in and use the GPS like a champ. Just too many arcane things to do on that 94, especially for approaches.

You don't know from hatred until you fly the KLN90B. The KLN 94 is a user friendly pussycat compared to the 90B. In the 90B, you have to turn BOTH knobs to the correct position just to get a full screen map, for starters. I learned on the KLN 89B and then KLN94 and I could never even learn how to load, much less shoot, an approach in the KLN90B.

Some things about the KLN 94 I actually like better than the G430, but then I have a perverse sense of humor, I guess...

Jim G

I like panel mounted com/nav devices. It's a quirk, but it's my quirk. :goofy:
And it's not wrong, but, if I were him, I'd only do the panel upgrade once. Figure he wouldn't have the 396 more than a year (unless he keeps it to supplement). I wouldn't want the plane to be unavailable that long! :)
As far as the weather feature goes, THAT would depend on the airplane, its mission, etc.
My presumption was that since he was looking for a plane big enough to carry the family that he'd be using it gor "get there" trips, in which the ability to shoot approaches, handle weather, etc. would be an issue. That's another reason I wouldn't give up an IFR GPS.

But again, these are just our opinions, thoughts, and biases, and I suspect that Ken has enough knowledge to filter them through his mission and needs!

I'll probably do a 396 for a little while, and see what this year's air show season brings in terms of panel mounts. Assuming nothing new fills the bill, I'll probably go with a 430/GMX-200 combination. It makes no sense to pay for a 530 over the 430 if I'm also putting in an MFD. And the 530 without the MFD is too limited for my taste.

Or I may just learn to use the 90B and tie it to a GMX-200. Lose out on the non-GPS inputs, but I could live with that.

Or maybe replace the HSI with a Sandel and ...

Cripes. It's easy to spend money on airplanes!
Correction. It's very easy to spend money on airplanes!

Would you get one of the new WAAS units? (Are the non-WAAS versions even going to be still available new?)

You don't know from hatred until you fly the KLN90B. The KLN 94 is a user friendly pussycat compared to the 90B. In the 90B, you have to turn BOTH knobs to the correct position just to get a full screen map, for starters.

Ugh, you mean the 94 is "user friendly" compared to the earlier Kings? Man, I'd just throw it in the trash heap. (or trade in)

i must enjoy torture or something. ive never had any trouble with the king 89/90 GPSs. sure they dont have fancy colors and the comm/nav. Ive never found them that hard to run.
Me either, but maybe it's because the alternative was flying one of the airplanes with no GPS at all. I was happy when they were all finally equipped with GPSs. I always thought the KLN90B was more user-friendly that the Trimble 2101 I/O which we use to this day in some of the airplanes.

Back