starboard side.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 129
  • cabin1.jpg
    cabin1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 86
  • panel1.jpg
    panel1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 115
SSSSSWWWWWEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you going to give a little HP/COMP time at Gastons? :D

Nice. Congrats.

Ho yeah! That's a hell of a bird, Ken.

Can't wait to see her at Gastons.

Congrats Ken! Tell us a little about your new bird!
76 Lance, 2300 total time and 250 SMOH. The guy I bought it from bought it in the mid 1990s, painted it and put in a new interior ... and promptly stored it for 10 years. Then two years ago he pulled it out, put in a new engine, overhauled the gear, new control cables, etc. So basically it was refurb'd and then flown 250 hours in the last year and a half, so I figure all of the storage bugs are worked out.

It has a standby alternator, standby electric vac, strikefinder, King HSI. The weak point is the 90B GPS, but we'll be addressing that soon. LoPresti cowl, fancy wingtips with recog lights, every speed mod available for the PA-32R. And the useful load is 1430, or about 850 payload with full fuel.

Try as I might, I simply could not justify a Baron or Seneca. The second engine would be nice, and the fuel costs didn't bother me that much. What got me was what the insurance, additional engine reserve, additional annual insp cost, and additional hangar expense did to the hourly cost. My ego will just have to live with it! :)

Nice. Congrats Ken!

I like the interior, looks sweet. What is that GPS?

Congrats!!!

I like the interior, looks sweet. What is that GPS?

Congrats!!!
KLN-90B. A dog with fleas. Good enough for filing /g and shooting approaches, but only if you can figure out how to work the darn thing. Not the most user-friendly box out there. We'll park a 396 in it while we figure out what to do. Initial thoughts are a 430/GMX-200 combination, but the jury is still out.

Beautiful Ken! :yes: Welcome back to the fold!

That grey paint job looks nice, but it might make you a bit bit stealthy to spot in the air.

Very, very nice Ken. B) I'm happy for ya. :yes: Looks like you can get the whole family in this one.

Are you going to fly it to OSH?

Can I have a ride? :D

Thweet Bird! Looking forward to seeing it at Gaston's! Congratulations!

KLN-90B. A dog with fleas. Good enough for filing /g and shooting approaches, but only if you can figure out how to work the darn thing. Not the most user-friendly box out there. We'll park a 396 in it while we figure out what to do. Initial thoughts are a 430/GMX-200 combination, but the jury is still out.

Good choice (and, nice looking Lance, by the way. Brings back some nice memories of the Toga) and that's what I put in the Cardinal when I had the interior and panel redone recently.

496iv82.jpg

Here's another good choice, one step up--it's what I'm going with in my upcoming homebuilt job

2dgue4x.jpg

If you're looking for a good stop-gap measure until you decide which unit you want permanently, the 250 ain't a bad unit at all!

I picked up a barely used one for the Skyhawk for a song. Did a little horse-trading and paid next to nothing for this little unit. It's not IFR certified though, I think, but not sure . . . But it might be something good for the interim for less than a 396.

2cf5g83.jpg

I prefer Garmin for aviation-related navigation, but I kinda like the Lorance for the marine navigation. :dunno: Not sure why. Maybe it's 'cause the Admiral likes the Lorance stuff. . .

Nice bird and any of the Garmins aren't going to do you wrong as you well know. Congrats again.

Regards.

-JD

Nice Ken but it should have a wing on TOP and Bottom. Well enjoy it anyway even if it wont go upside down.
Dave G

After the Pitts, do you have to put one hand on each horn of the yoke to get enough force to roll it?

Nice Ken,

the lance i fly occasionally here is the same vintage. also with all the lopresti mods. You have better avionics though. any plans to switch to club seating?

A Garmin 430 is really all you need. :) If you want a bigger display, I'd definitely add in a MX20 / GMX200. You'll get lots of colors then. :)

Nice Ken,

the lance i fly occasionally here is the same vintage. also with all the lopresti mods. You have better avionics though. any plans to switch to club seating?

No. I prefer straight seating. My previous Lance had club seats, I didn't want a repeat of that. The rear-facing seats sit very straight up and down and do not recline. And the right one limits the recline of the right front seat. With more than 4 aboard, straight seating is better, IMO.

It certainly is nice Ken For sure you will be much more comfortable that in teh pitts.

76 Lance, 2300 total time and 250 SMOH. The guy I bought it from bought it in the mid 1990s, painted it and put in a new interior ... and promptly stored it for 10 years. Then two years ago he pulled it out, put in a new engine, overhauled the gear, new control cables, etc. So basically it was refurb'd and then flown 250 hours in the last year and a half, so I figure all of the storage bugs are worked out.

It has a standby alternator, standby electric vac, strikefinder, King HSI. The weak point is the 90B GPS, but we'll be addressing that soon. LoPresti cowl, fancy wingtips with recog lights, every speed mod available for the PA-32R. And the useful load is 1430, or about 850 payload with full fuel.

Try as I might, I simply could not justify a Baron or Seneca. The second engine would be nice, and the fuel costs didn't bother me that much. What got me was what the insurance, additional engine reserve, additional annual insp cost, and additional hangar expense did to the hourly cost. My ego will just have to live with it! :)

Happy to see you finally finding something that fits.

As to the Baron, you didn't mention the cost of recurrent training, opportunity cost of capital and preventive maintenance cost to keep the annual to the level you mention above :p (Just tryin to reinforce your decision.). BTW, some Baron time can be arranged at Gastons or when I'm next in the Orlando area!!

Best,

Dave

KLN-90B. A dog with fleas. Good enough for filing /g and shooting approaches, but only if you can figure out how to work the darn thing.

Our club 182 has the KLN-94. I don't like to use the word hate, so I'll just say I have extreme dislike for the King GPS. The Archer has 430's, and I can not fly that plane for a great while, yet jump right in and use the GPS like a champ. Just too many arcane things to do on that 94, especially for approaches.

Ken,

Nice, very nice. Looks like a very clean bird.

After the Pitts, do you have to put one hand on each horn of the yoke to get enough force to roll it?

I think he had the hydraulic aileron boost system installed from a MiG 17 in order to turn the thing. LOL!

If you're looking for a good stop-gap measure until you decide which unit you want permanently, the 250 ain't a bad unit at all!

I picked up a barely used one for the Skyhawk for a song. Did a little horse-trading and paid next to nothing for this little unit. It's not IFR certified though, I think, but not sure . . . But it might be something good for the interim for less than a 396.

2cf5g83.jpg

I prefer Garmin for aviation-related navigation, but I kinda like the Lorance for the marine navigation. :dunno: Not sure why. Maybe it's 'cause the Admiral likes the Lorance stuff. . .

Nice bird and any of the Garmins aren't going to do you wrong as you well know. Congrats again.

Regards.

-JD
If I were between that and the 396, given that neither is certified for IFR, I'd choose the 396. The addition of weather is the clincher for me. Especially since Ken already has an IFR-certified GPS in the plane. I wouldn't yank that for a VFR unit! Besides, you can easily buy the 396 used from someone upgrading to a 496 and later resell it on eBay (or PoA) when you upgrade the panel to the 530W!

Besides, you can easily buy the 396 used from someone upgrading to a 496 and later resell it on eBay (or PoA) when you upgrade the panel to the 530W!
I'll probably do a 396 for a little while, and see what this year's air show season brings in terms of panel mounts. Assuming nothing new fills the bill, I'll probably go with a 430/GMX-200 combination. It makes no sense to pay for a 530 over the 430 if I'm also putting in an MFD. And the 530 without the MFD is too limited for my taste.

Or I may just learn to use the 90B and tie it to a GMX-200. Lose out on the non-GPS inputs, but I could live with that.

Or maybe replace the HSI with a Sandel and ...

Cripes. It's easy to spend money on airplanes!

If I were between that and the 396, given that neither is certified for IFR, I'd choose the 396. The addition of weather is the clincher for me. Especially since Ken already has an IFR-certified GPS in the plane. I wouldn't yank that for a VFR unit! Besides, you can easily buy the 396 used from someone upgrading to a 496 and later resell it on eBay (or PoA) when you upgrade the panel to the 530W!

Unless you HAVE to. Keep your 396 / 496 and wire it up to your GNS x30. The added display functionality and number of colors is just something you wont get from a panel mount IFR GPS.

i must enjoy torture or something. ive never had any trouble with the king 89/90 GPSs. sure they dont have fancy colors and the comm/nav. Ive never found them that hard to run.

Back