New Aviation book

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
My wife bought me a book today. It's called, The World's Worst Aircraft, and looks at various a/c through the years with an eye towards what where those people thinking?

I'm just getting started reading through it but one system I think most improbable is the bellows powered ailerons driven by engine bleed air (Northrup XP-56). So what happens when the engine quits?

Or, the 1927 "Bonney Gull" (Leonard Warden Bonney, inventor) which actually looked quite like a seagull. The wings incorporated pilot-controlled varible incidence and variable dihedral. Bonney steadfastly believed the secret to manned flight was to emulate the birds as closely as possible. Despite protests from friends and even advice from the Wrights, Bonney went forth on his first test flight only to kill himself when he lost control on rotation.

Sorry, no URL anywhere in the book, but google search might yield something.

Authour is Bill Yenne
Published by Dorset Press
ISBN 0-88029-49067-6

My favourite quip is in regards to the Lockhed XFV1 shown being towed (horizontally)on the ground
"the strange lines of the XFV1 whose servicing rack.. had better landing gear than the airplane itself"

Back