New ATP regs interpretation

turbofan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
turbofan
I've been having a hard time understanding the new atp regs, id really appreciate it if someone could help me out

My situation:

- over 750TT, but under 1500TT
- under 750 total military time, but would have that within 2 years (written ATP extension timeframe)

Are the new ATP regs written such that you have to have over 750 total military time, or just >750TT and be a military aviator? Would it be advantageous for me at all to take the atp written before the end of this month?

Take the written before the end of the month if you even think you might do ATP- ever.

It will save much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

:yes:

Part of the new rule will require those who haven't taken the ATP written by the end of the month to take a class and get sim time before they'll even be allowed to attempt to take the written, likely at a cost of 10+ thousand dollars. CATS and LaserGrade are about to make a lot of money with everyone rushing to get their writtens done...

As far as the 750 hour requirement goes, good question. It only says you need 750 total "as a pilot," not 750 as a military pilot. I read that as not requiring all 750 hours to be military time, so long as you have military flying experience. I could be wrong there, though.

So you're not getting an ATP.

If you want one in the foreseeable future get that written done by the end of the month.

You'll have 2yrs to get your 1500, 500 xcountry etc.

You might qualify for a Jr ATP or a restricted ATP or whatever marketing gimmick with your 750hrs and "service" but long and short get your written done and get the rest of the real ICAO ATP reqs done in 2 yrs from your written.

The regulation as written says "a minimum of 750 hours of total time as a pilot", not "a minimum of 750 hours of total time as a military pilot". Unless someone in the Chief Counsel's office says otherwise (and nobody's asked them yet), that means if you have 750 total pilot time (including both military and civilian), you can apply for your Restricted ATP the day after you finish military pilot training even if you have only the 200-250 hours of military pilot time folks normally get in military pilot training.

However, you will first have to take and pass an ATP written test before taking the ATP-ME practical test. If you take the current ATP written test this month, you will be good to go for your ATP-ME practical before that test expires at the end of July 2016. Even if that expires, you can still take the practical test later if at the time you take that test you are a military pilot in military air transport operations (i.e., flying C-130's, not F-16's). However, if you do not take that written this month, there is no exception for military air transport pilots for the requirement to take a 61.156 training course before taking that new written.

So, all things considered, I'd say get on your horse and take/pass the current ATP written this month.

Back