New approach plate or old?

n12365

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
A pilot friend of mine recently asked me about the 28 day cycle used for instrument approach plates and I couldn’t come up with a good answer, so hopefully someone here will be able to help me out. When an approach plate is updated, it becomes effective at 0901Z on the first day of the new 28 day cycle. What version should you be using if the approach starts before 0901Z and ends after 0901Z? I don’t think this is an operational issue, but thought it was an interesting question. I would use whatever plate is current at the beginning of the approach and wouldn’t worry about it being out of date at the end of the approach.

Ryan

Unless they turn off a navaid in the middle of the approach, it probably won't make much difference. And if it does make a difference, there will probably already be an FDC NOTAM modifying the old chart accordingly. One thing you can do to help is check the amendment date in the bottom corner of each chart -- if it's the same, it won't matter which one you use (FDC NOTAMs notwithstanding).

Back