New Airport Restaurant: Holman's Table KSTP (Downtown St.Paul)

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Edit: Please see @champ driver 's post # 4 for an excellent backstory on the building and location!

I think this one opened a few months ago. On Saturday it was St.Patrick's day which also happens to be our Anniversary :) Our old 182 is green and white and downtown St.Paul seemed fitting! We were able to get a transition through the Bravo (my first time!) but I'll keep this to a review of the restaurant and relevant airport info.

I believe the restaurant is in what was once the old terminal building. It even looks like the old tower may have been there? The building is on the north end of the airport east of the approach to runway 14 (a huge runway!). You can park right in front and from what I can tell it could probably fit 10 planes in that area with room to spill over to each side as well.

I would be a bit careful about the boundary between the movement and non-movement area. It is just a yellow line. At many other Delta's (this airport does have a tower) the movement area boundary seems more official and obvious.

After you park, you walk through a waist high gate and into the door in the center of the building. There is a nice lobby and the restaurant is on the right side. There are nice windows in the restaurant so you can see the parked planes as well as other airport activity. If the restaurant is busy you might not get a seat near the windows.

Since we were there on the weekend it was brunch. I think the brunch lasts until 4pm so if you are the type who wants eggs or french toast for lunch you are in business! My wife, daughter and myself each had a different cheeseburger. My daughter is 9 and probably ate 1/3 of hers and was full. My wife knocked out half and I just barely finished mine. Excellent burgers. Think around $14 which includes fries. They will continue to refill your soft drinks. I guess the bar there is quite awesome...didn't go there. I was surprised for a place like this not have more lemonade options. So probably just a Coke or Pepsi selection for soft drinks.

Service was awesome! You will have very nice silverware, cloth napkins and I liked that the chairs were solid and comfortable. It was very clean and surprisingly well sound insulated. We could just barely hear the Cardinal right in front starting up his engine and idling.

They have a gated off area right in front outside where people can walk out and look at the planes - nice idea! With that old tower up above I am wondering if there is a way to go up there. You could get a heck of picture of your plane from above!

As I understand they will also open up a patio on the east end once the wx is nicer so you could even sit outside after you fly in.

I did not see a self serve anywhere so if you need fuel you will either need to taxi over to one of the FBO's or call their fuel truck over while you eat. 100LL is pretty spendy at this field. I did not see any ladder's laying around so if you are in a high wing and want to stick your tanks before leaving...BYOL :) I also didn't see any chocks available. Its more a restaurant than a FBO so not dinging them on this stuff - just giving you the info.

My single complaint is that they did not have the Minnesota Passport stamp. Since the FBO's are way over on the west side of the field it would have been a major PITA to get the stamp.

For those that have been to the downtown St.Paul airport it is a home base for 3M business jets and the guard Blackhawks. We were probably there 90min and saw 2 biz jets take off and one black hawk lift off. You probably won't see the helicopters up close. If R14 is in use you'll have a good chance at seeing planes much closer.

I had been to this airport twice during training. I think my first CFI wanted me to understand just how much is going on to get in and out of there...a lot! It is under the 2300 shelf of the bravo and right near the 3000 shelf so it could be easy to clip the 2300 shelf when approaching and descending from the south, east or north.

The tower can setup flight following and we asked for a Bravo transition on the way out. Radar services were given but we did not get the bravo entry on the way back. I believe if your outbound heading is anything other than due west they will vector you around instead. Be prepared to hear several traffic callouts as Flemming, Lakeville and Flying cloud are around the south side. And Lake Elmo, Anoka and Crystal traffic will be factors going around the other way.

There was a lot of traffic up in the area. At one time we counted over 40 planes via UAT and TIS-B. We are not ADS-B out equipped so there were surely even more.

I had never landed at this airport from the North. Was so weird to be flying right over the capitol building (sweet view!). This airport has a way of confusing people with the 3 runways, especially R13 and R14 which almost start at the same place. And there is one right handed pattern in there too. Also, it is the only airport I have been to so far that has a pattern altitude that is 1200agl. This airport sits down low by the river.

Since there are parades for St.Patrick's day in St.Paul I was suspecting a TFR. I called Leido's twice and nothing. However, as we get to summer there will be several for the Twins Stadium and other events so be cautious.

We'll definitely go again. Our daughter took this picture out front:
20180318201356_A7R2_HolmansTableAnniversaryPic.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the PIREP! We get in and out of KSTP several times a year, our daughter goes to the U of M and being from rural MN I hate driving into the city! I've always used St Paul Flight Center's ramp (one of the two FBO's at KSTP), the staff there is awesome, very helpful and friendly. If you put on a little gas they wave any ramp fees and I can't remember ever having to pay the published price for gas, they always discount it.

My wife asked me what that building was one time, nice to know it's now being used! We'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the PIREP! We get in and out of KSTP several times a year, our daughter goes to the U of M and being from rural MN I hate driving into the city! I've always used St Paul Flight Center's ramp (one of the two FBO's at KSTP), the staff there is awesome, very helpful and friendly. If you put on a little gas they wave any ramp fees and I can't remember ever having to pay the published price for gas, they always discount it.

My wife asked me what that building was one time, nice to know it's now being used! We'll have to check it out.
Cool, if you try it out I'd like to hear your review.

You made me think of a few interesting things. First, there was no ramp fee at the restaurant (that would be dumb) and hopefully still no landing fee for St.Paul downtown.

I suspect you could park at the restaurant and just call the Flight Center's truck over to gas up while you eat but you might not get your fuel discount. Then again if you don't need fuel the restaurant stop would negate that obligation.

The really interesting thing is overnighting a plane at the restaurant??? You probably wouldn't be able to get to the plane unless the building is open for business but unless it became a common occurance they might not mind a nice small rotation of planes out there at all times.

Yes the old administration/terminal building used to have the tower on top until they moved it to the west side near Signature and on higher ground. The building was built by the WPA in 1939 and there was another red brick building north of it that was a maintenance hangar for Northwest Airways planes in the 30's, think Ford Tri-motors and Waco biplanes.
There used to be an Irish restaurant in the administration building up until some 20 years ago but they closed and I haven't been to the new restaurant.

If you need to clear customs in St Paul, that's where you would pre-arrange them to meet you.
There are no TFR's for the Twins games as they are downtown MSP, the ball stadium in downtown STP is for the St Paul Saints, a minor league team, never any TFR's for that.
If you wanted to taxi to Flight Center, it's just north around the end of 14-32, echo, alpha lima, piece of cake, unless they're using 14.

Here's a trivia question, why are there two beacons for the field?

Yes, I'm based there, been flying out of there for years and just did on Sunday.

Nice write up on the field and restaurant, and a nice photo, glad you liked it.

Last edited:
Yes the old administration/terminal building used to have the tower on top until they moved it to the west side near Signature and on higher ground. The building was built by the WPA in 1939 and there was another red brick building north of it that was a maintenance hangar for Northwest Airways planes in the 30's, think Ford Tri-motors and Waco biplanes.
There used to be an Irish restaurant in the administration building up until some 20 years ago but they closed and I haven't been to the new restaurant.

If you need to clear customs in St Paul, that's where you would pre-arrange them to meet you.
There are no TFR's for the Twins games as they are downtown MSP, the ball stadium in downtown STP is for the St Paul Saints, a minor league team, never any TFR's for that.
If you wanted to taxi to Flight Center, it's just north around the end of 14-32, echo, alpha lima, piece of cake, unless they're using 14.

Here's a trivia question, why are there two beacons for the field?

Yes, I'm based there, been flying out of there for years and just did on Sunday.

Nice write up and photo, glad you liked it.

Wow, awesome backstory!! I could easily envision one of Greg.H's Tri-Motors (up in Anoka) parked right in front of that building. As soon as you walk in there, it definitely feels like a old Gov't building. Just didn't think it was WPA and pre-WWII. When we were trying figure out where it was on the field using Google Maps I noticed the CBP was there. That also explains a lot. Would be awesome to have access to the old tower.

Okay for the trivia question for two beacons on the field: The first thing that comes to mind is that the Guard is located there and they might have their own Green-Green-White beacon?

If you don't mind, I am going to edit my first post to reference your's as it really covers the history well!

I have my Champ at ANE but I work out of STP.

As for the two beacons at STP. One is the standard beacon on the west side and flashes white-green-white.
The other beacon is across the river on top of Mounds Park, yes, Indian burial mounds. It was constructed in 1929 as part of the airway system for air mail pilots flying between St Paul and Chicago. It sits on a chrome yellow and black steel tower and flashes white-white.

Last edited:
I have my Champ at ANE but I work out of STP.

As for the two beacons at STP. One is the standard beacon on the west side and flashes white-green-white.
The other beacon is across the river on top of Mounds Park, yes, Indian burial mounds. It was constructed in 1929 as part of the airway system for air mail pilots flying between St Paul and Chicago. Its sits on a chrome yellow and black steel tower and flashes white-white.

Interesting that it's still operating, and a few are in Montana also. I wasn't aware of that. Alabama has one at Evergreen airport but I don't believe the light operates, just an attraction. Thanks.

More info if anyone is curious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airway_beacon

Last edited:
There are no TFR's for the Twins games as they are downtown MSP
I just wanted to bring the TFR comment back up for those reading this review. Yesterday when I was flying I saw a Stadium TFR for the Twins/Astro's game. It is relatively small in diameter and only ground to 3000. You really know this area better than me @champ driver so maybe I am still missing something?

Perhaps the biggest concern is those who plan to fly to this restaurant from the NW. You could come in under the MSP Bravo and possibly hit the Twin Stadium TFR as it is not all within the MSP bravo surface column. And it is tempting to fly very close/over to the Twin Stadium as I can't recall it being under the MSP Bravo surface column. During training, when departing Crystal (KMIC) to the SE you get really close to downtown Minneapolis really fast!

I've been flying full time out of St Paul airport for about 13 years now and in all that time I have never seen a TFR for a baseball or football game (except the Stupor Bowl) listed in my weather briefings.
Many times as we come in on the arrival from the south, approach vectors us up the west side of MSP airport and very close to downtown MSP. If the Twins or Vikings are playing at that time, I have no idea as I never keep track of them, but of course we're always IFR too.

I think I have this solved. I saw the Twins Stadium TFR visually on my Garmin Pilot when I flew last night. That same night I did get a full brief but my flight didn't go that way so probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

As it turns out there is a more general purpose TFR for large venue stadiums of 30000+ seating capacity for national level sporting events. I runs from 1hr before to 1hr after the game ends. It is from ground to 3000agl.

Given there are just so many games I wonder if the briefer won't mention it either as they would have to know the stadium schedule.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=42&sID=240

I get my briefings from Fltplan.com and they list TFR's in the area, but not the stadium ones, I also check TFR's on another site too but like I've said, I don't remember ever seeing one for the Twins, or any other game. I do know about the blanket stadium TFR's. We don't use anything like your Garmin either, just FMS's with the MFD.

I could see someone getting zinged on that blanket Stadium TFR for the Twins Stadium. Since its not in the Bravo surface column you could technically over fly it without being on FF. And since it's under the lowest ring a person over flying it and avoiding the Bravo would bust it to stay under the bravo.

i was at this restaurant yesterday, pretty awesome. didnt have the burger since i was about to take off bounce around under a scattered layer, chose the Holman breakfast instead.

Thanks to @Sinistar for the tip.

Attachments

• 20180915_183750673_iOS.jpg
    20180915_183750673_iOS.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 12
Back