Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RogerT
Well .. a couple months ago I sold my other experimental I built. I just
bought a Sonex. It's already flying as I just didn't think I had another
build in me right now. Maybe after I retire. Right now I just want to
fly.

Right now it's in a trailer on it's way from CA to Nebraska.

RT

You know the drill. Photos required. I hope you enjoy it, I've heard good things about Soneci.

Wow Roger, congratulations. I can't wait to see it. I've always thought about buying one of those but have yet to see one in person.

Well .. a couple months ago I sold my other experimental I built. I just
bought a Sonex. It's already flying as I just didn't think I had another
build in me right now. Maybe after I retire. Right now I just want to
fly.

Right now it's in a trailer on it's way from CA to Nebraska.

RT

Sonex is the plane I almost started a build on until I ran out of free time.

I love 'em. Get some pics!

Ahh OK, I didn't see those before. Nice plane. :)

Very Cool plane.
I have literature ,been to the Sonex factory, and am trying to decide which model I'd like to build.
I'd like to get your input on the AeroVee after you fly it.
Aerocarb ?
The cost savings over the Jabiru is something I'm pondering. The 3300 power looks attractive though.
I'm thinking Waiex,taildragger,AeroVee, but still studying.
Have fun with it and let us know how you like it.

I love the thought of an aerovee. To overhaul for a few hundred bucks? Can't beat that. And VW engines will go through just about anything.

I love the thought of an aerovee. To overhaul for a few hundred bucks? Can't beat that. And VW engines will go through just about anything.

Well maybe...in an VW Beetle, my milage definately varied, but I know lots of people swear by them....maybe I got the bad one...

Very Cool plane.
I have literature ,been to the Sonex factory, and am trying to decide which model I'd like to build.
I'd like to get your input on the AeroVee after you fly it.
Aerocarb ?
The cost savings over the Jabiru is something I'm pondering. The 3300 power looks attractive though.
I'm thinking Waiex,taildragger,AeroVee, but still studying.
Have fun with it and let us know how you like it.

I had a Jab 2200 in my Titan. Good engine. My brother runs a VW conversion in his Cygnet and just changed to the AeroCarb. He likes it. The engine is a
Great Plains one and he says he's got about 800 hrs on it so far with
still good performance and compression.

Congrats! Beautiful bird.

Are you going to put any vinyl graphics on it?

I'm definately going the polished route with vinyl graphics when I finish mine. My mom was with me at Oshkosh and we saw Kerry Fores' (all polished as well). When she saw it, the only thing she could say was "Wow, it sure is shiny!":D What made you decide to sell your Titan and pickup a Sonex?

Very nice, Roger! Did you by any chance see the Sonex Jet at Oshkosh this year? Too bad they didn't have it flying for the show. I'll bet that plane will be a blast to fly!!!

What the?!?!?! A Beetle engine??? What on earth happened??
not quite sure...the engine made "bad noises" then stopped. Some of the pistons came out as little balls of metal.

It certainly isn't common...I haven't heard of Volksplanes falling out of the sky and I didn't see a lot of beetles on the side of the road either.

I'm definately going the polished route with vinyl graphics when I finish mine. My mom was with me at Oshkosh and we saw Kerry Fores' (all polished as well). When she saw it, the only thing she could say was "Wow, it sure is shiny!":D What made you decide to sell your Titan and pickup a Sonex?

The Sonex is a little faster and has side by side seating.

And of course .. it's cool.

Back