New airplane owner!

Wow, Toby, WOW!

I'm very happy for you, can I have a ride at Gastons?

Anthony said:
Congrats Toby!!! The PA28-140 is a GREAT plane and with the 160HP its even better. I flew mine all over the east coast before I got religion and bought the Tiger. :)

Now you know that Art Madson sells some neat speed mods and slow speed handling mods. VG's, gap seals, prop mods, wing tip mods. The one gap seal I wish I had on my Cherokee was the stabilator gap seal. You get much more control authority in the flare with the stabilator gap seal. The VG's and wing tips add to slow speed handling and decrease your stall speed. The prop mod adds some thrust and aileron gap seals make the plane slicker and therefore faster and handle better. When do you want to start? :)
Anthony,

Oh, so much cool stuff, and my list grows longer every minute. The plane already has Metco wing tips. It doesn't have the other stuff (yet). :) Isn't a stabilator a combination stabilizer/elevator? I'm going to head to the Art Madson website when I have a chance and see what all these products are.

So far I have taxied it across the ramp at HWV to its new home, tiedown #26. Tomorrow I hope to go flying with my former CFI and do some airwork. The insurance company just requires CFI checkout.

Skip Miller said:
They say a flight of a thousand miles begins with a quick hamburger run.

Toby, I will be away until September but then I have a lot of time in the books. Let's meet somewhere like Block Island and I'm buying you the celebratory hamburger... or lobster roll... or whatever you want!

All others invited, too but Dutch Treat unless you show up in a new (to you) plane! ;)

Congratulations!

-Skip
Thank you, Skip! I would love to!

mikea said:
DITTO! Welcome to the Cherokee fold, Toby!

We have a field neighbor who financed a ground-up restore of a Cherokee 140 that was abandoned on the field. It had bird nests in the wings. He has gotten it up to an 8500 feet for cruise at 120 knots at 8GPH (as I recall). He has flown as far as the tip of Florida. It's a great plane when you only need to fill 1 to 3 seats.

There is a Cherokee email list and Cherokee Owners club (actually magazine / web site) as resources as you look for information.

What I say is about the only reason to own is so you can have the keys in your pocket (or purse). You'll know the plane is always there waiting for YOU to put in the keys. You'll find out how cool that is now. :yes:

It's gonna take a long time for the grin to go away! On most days mine hasn't stopped yet.
Thanks, Mike. I have not stopped grinning yet. Just can't wait to start taking trips.

I've joined the Cherokee owners website already. It looks very good.

AdamZ said:
YEEEEE HA! CONGRATS TOBY! I am so psyched for you!!! You are going to love this plane. Just think of the freedom!! Have you begun the list of places you want to go? A hamburger awaits you ( on me ) at KLOM! I can't wait to see it in person. Post some photos of the panel!!
Thanks, Adam! I will be there for that burger in short order.

Would you believe, I had some good pictures of the panel that the seller had posted with his ad, but I just checked and he's taken the ad offline, along with the pictures. I don't seem to have them on my hard drive. I do have a lot of pictures of the engine and control surfaces, though, if you would find those entertaining.

I'll take more pics tomorrow.

Troy Whistman said:
I'm so happy (AND JEALOUS) for you, Toby.

Have fun, can't wait to see more photos. What color was the interior? Red?
Troy,

Yes, red velour. Quite yummy. Unfortunately, I seem not to have kept the photos that the seller had included with his ad. I'll take more and post them.

Someone did a neat thing on the paint job -- they painted a third side window, kind of an optical illusion. I love that.

Eamon said:
When are ya flying down for a visit ???

:) EnJoy, Congrats :) :cheerswine:
Thanks! You never know, I just might show up in your neighborhood one day.

I don't have to ask if I can rent the plane anymore! I don't have to have it back by 3:00! Yeah!

Bill Jennings said:
Wow, Toby, WOW!

I'm very happy for you, can I have a ride at Gastons?
But of course, Bill -- if I bring it. :)

Toby said:
Yes! :happydance: I am the proud new owner of a Cherokee 140. I am so happy I could burst!

Hi Toby!

I am so glad this worked out in the end!!!:cheerswine: . You could not have made a better choice, but then, I'm a bit biased toward Cherokees. From the descriptions, I'm sure it will be a sound and trouble free plane! You most certainly put the time, effort and research into this purchase so you have an awful lot to be proud of, couldn't of happened to a nicer person! It won't do loops and fly inverted, but will get you around safely and in relative comfort.

So, guess I'll see you over on Cherokee Chat in the future.

Gary

Gary said:
Hi Toby!

I am so glad this worked out in the end!!!:cheerswine: . You could not have made a better choice, but then, I'm a bit biased toward Cherokees. From the descriptions, I'm sure it will be a sound and trouble free plane! You most certainly put the time, effort and research into this purchase so you have an awful lot to be proud of, couldn't of happened to a nicer person! It won't do loops and fly inverted, but will get you around safely and in relative comfort.

So, guess I'll see you over on Cherokee Chat in the future.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Thanks! It feels very comfortable to sit in. I was just thinking that I felt a little low in the seat and am looking around for a cushion.

I'll see you at a fly-in or breakfast before long!

About registration -- can anyone answer this question? I went to the AOPA site and completed the online registration form, 8050-1. When I went to print it out, the form appeared with the words "Sample only - do not send to FAA" all around the edges. It has all my answers filled in, though. I can't seem to find any other version that doesn't say "sample."

??

Congrat Toby.
I don't know about the 140's but most of the warriors have an adjustable seat for "up and down". Look on the lower right side of the seat near the front for a "button" you can pull out. With weight on it, it goes down, if no weight it goes up.

CONGRATS again

Mark B.

Toby,
You have to get an original form. Your lender will probably provide on to you if you are financing the thing. If not, go to your local FSDO, or even your local FBO that might be in the airplanes sales biz. Guaranteed someone will have one. All the signatures on the form need to be original but all the other info can take the carbon copy. Enjoy your airplane.

markb5900 said:
Congrat Toby.
I don't know about the 140's but most of the warriors have an adjustable seat for "up and down". Look on the lower right side of the seat near the front for a "button" you can pull out. With weight on it, it goes down, if no weight it goes up.

CONGRATS again

Mark B.
Mark, I'll check it out tomorrow when I go to the airport after work.

Fast n' Furious said:
Toby,
You have to get an original form. Your lender will probably provide on to you if you are financing the thing. If not, go to your local FSDO, or even your local FBO that might be in the airplanes sales biz. Guaranteed someone will have one. All the signatures on the form need to be original but all the other info can take the carbon copy. Enjoy your airplane.
OK, will try this or Steve's idea. Funny they have an interactive form on the site, and then you can't print it out. What is the point?

Hi Toby,

I already congratulated you over on the "other board", but I thought I'd say hi again.:goofy:

Hey, now you have to get your IR and only pay for the instructor--no more rentals!
Matt

Toby said:
Hi Gary,

Thanks! It feels very comfortable to sit in. I was just thinking that I felt a little low in the seat and am looking around for a cushion.

The 140's of your vintage did not have adjustable seats as standard equipment to the best of my knowledge. More than likely the seat foam is just tired and has flattened out. My wife is tall and even she feels as though she is sitting way down in the seat. Some new foam and/or a cushion and you will be "high in the saddle"! Love to do breakfast, won't be for at least a week, this weekend is moving in day for my son - off to college... gee, I seem to have gotten old fast!:D

Gary

WOW! I get away for a few days(in NYC), come home, there are tons of posts to read, and what's the first one that catches my eye? New Airplane Owner! Now, that's exciting; and congratulations. That "The airplane is mine" feeling is like no other sensation. Enjoy knowing that the seat position will always be where it was the last time the plane was flown by you.

HR

mattaxelrod said:
Hi Toby,

I already congratulated you over on the "other board", but I thought I'd say hi again.:goofy:

Hey, now you have to get your IR and only pay for the instructor--no more rentals!
Matt
And I already have the DVDs, too!

First I'm taking a break from instruction and just playing a while. :)

Gary said:
The 140's of your vintage did not have adjustable seats as standard equipment to the best of my knowledge. More than likely the seat foam is just tired and has flattened out. My wife is tall and even she feels as though she is sitting way down in the seat. Some new foam and/or a cushion and you will be "high in the saddle"! Love to do breakfast, won't be for at least a week, this weekend is moving in day for my son - off to college... gee, I seem to have gotten old fast!:D

Gary
You will only feel old briefly, and then you are going to love your new freedom. :)

I need a couple weeks to practice before I go anywhere, anyway. We'll try for next month.

I'll try and find a good cushion. Hate to take apart the upholstery when it looks so nice.

Toby said:
Hi Gary,

You may have noticed that I sit on a cushion in the Comanche. Same reason Gary gave. The interior is old and the foam is mashed down. I use a standard outdoor furniture cushion from the FMA, STC section of WalMart. There are plenty of cushions out there and you don't have to spend a lot of money to find something suitable.

Carol said:
You may have noticed that I sit on a cushion in the Comanche. Same reason Gary gave. The interior is old and the foam is mashed down. I use a standard outdoor furniture cushion from the FMA, STC section of WalMart. There are plenty of cushions out there and you don't have to spend a lot of money to find something suitable.
FMA/STC section? The automotive section?

I am planning to do most of my shopping at discount stores. When I first started flying, I ordered everything from Sportys, AvShop, and the others. Everything was too expensive, but I was a reckless happy shopper then. Now I'm trying to conserve -- more money for flying that way.

Thanks for your ideas.

Toby said:
FMA/STC section? The automotive section?.....

I say, I say, I say it's a joke, son.
.........Foghorn Leghorn

Got the FMA/STC thing from Ed Guthrie.

Toby said:
FMA/STC section? The automotive section?

I am planning to do most of my shopping at discount stores. When I first started flying, I ordered everything from Sportys, AvShop, and the others. Everything was too expensive, but I was a reckless happy shopper then. Now I'm trying to conserve -- more money for flying that way.

Thanks for your ideas.

After being spoiled by the interpolating seat in the Skyhawk, I sit rather low in the seat of the newer C-150M which does have good and firm foam. Buy a resolution? Nada! An old blanket, cross-folded to about 18" square works very well.

HR

Diana said:
Can you tell if it's a male or a female? Does it have a name yet?

They are ALL female as far as I am concerned :)
Best wishes with the newly acquired lady Toby.

Lawreston said:
After being spoiled by the interpolating seat in the Skyhawk, I sit rather low in the seat of the newer C-150M which does have good and firm foam. Buy a resolution? Nada! An old blanket, cross-folded to about 18" square works very well.

HR
Not a bad idea.

Toby said:
P.S., Bill, you sound like Diana!

I love riding in all different kinds of A/C, just to find out what they are like. Love it :D

Gary said:
this weekend is moving in day for my son - off to college... gee, I seem to have gotten old fast!:D

Congrats Gary! Where's he going?

Bill Jennings said:
I love riding in all different kinds of A/C, just to find out what they are like. Love it :D
I couldn't tell. ;)

Anthony said:
Congrats Gary! Where's he going?

Hi Tony!

He's heading to American University in Washington DC. Can't say I'm a fan of Urban colleges, but for what he wants to do its a good choice. Things have been a bit hectic with school prep, vacations and work stuff so I've been out of touch for a while. Very little flying lately :( , need to change that, once he's safely packed away and Nicole is back in school, I think I'll take a day off and to nothing but flying stuff, need the therapy.

Gary

Toby;

Enjoy your new plane; I had a lot of fun when I owned my Cherokee, a 67 180 C. Flew it for over 500 hours and never had any major proglems with it.

Enjoy and have fun with it.

John j

Toby,

I hope I speak for everyone when I say we're so proud of you. I remember back when you were struggling with landings (I think it was landings). Now you are not only an increasingly accomplished pilot, but a plane owner as well. You are totally AWESOME!!!!

Judy

wowie zowie girl!!! and it's that right shade of red! now what was that called??? yes, fly her to gaston's so we can see her and take a ride. seems like Diana's 140 was named Harold, but she needs a perky snazzy name - she's sweet! am so happy for ya and envious! another book there . . .

Back