Display name:
N2005H
hi, we just got a ercoupe
I was loooking for suggestions on what to do once we get it
Ex my instructor keeps a heater in her Cherokee
Just any tips or suggestions about how to maintain the aircraft would be great
Also what items do you keep in your airplane
Thanks

Pens, pads. Extra sunglasses, reading glasses, hat. Gats jar, fuel stick, oil, funnel, rag. And some simple tools. And an empty Gatorade bottle (large mouth).

Helpful to know if you are keeping the airplane indoors or outdoors, and climate (cold weather or southern warmth)?

I'm guessing cold, given the comment about "heater"?

Hmmm. Stuff in the cockpit? Headset, iPad yoke mount. I think that's it.

In the baggage compartment: A toolbox with a couple of stub screwdrivers (flat and phillips) so I can take the cowl off, a tire gauge, some tie-down ropes, a set of chocks, etc... And of course a couple quarts of oil, a fuel tester, some rags, etc...

On the outside of the airplane, a set of cowl plugs and a pitot cover.

I have a Cessna 180 so your kit may be different. In the plane I keep oil, rag, funnel, Plane Perfect Eyes Outside, medkit, tiedowns. Depending on weather/what I'm doing I'll bring various plane covers too. I'd recommend you don't defer maintenance, yeah it'll be expensive upfront but will save you on the back-end of ownership and your plane will be nicer to boot!

Helpful to know if you are keeping the airplane indoors or outdoors, and climate (cold weather or southern warmth)?

I'm guessing cold, given the comment about "heater"?
It will be hangared
Oklahoma
Mainly warm but can get below freezing in a moments notice

I have a Cessna 180 so your kit may be different. In the plane I keep oil, rag, funnel, Plane Perfect Eyes Outside, medkit, tiedowns. Depending on weather/what I'm doing I'll bring various plane covers too. I'd recommend you don't defer maintenance, yeah it'll be expensive upfront but will save you on the back-end of ownership and your plane will be nicer to boot!
What’s plane perfect eyes outside?

It will be hangared
Oklahoma
Mainly warm but can get below freezing in a moments notice

:thumbsup: Nice!

I'm in a cold weather climate, and although the planes are in a heated hangar at their home base, I keep most of my cockpit stuff in an Eddie Bauer day pack so I can take it all with me if parked at an away location.

Contents include: pens, pencils, small calculator, 3M sticky pad, headset, inReach, kneeboard, spare AA dry cells, pilot licence, radio operator document, passport if crossing the border, spare reading & sun glasses, any paper maps and (just to pizz-a off @Ravioli --->) an iPad with ForeFlight. :happydance:

In the plane the same stuff as others have mentioned: oil, funnel, fuel sampler, windshield bug cleaner, microfibre cloths, roll of shop towels, small tube of hand cleaner, small tool kit, first aid kit, plus a comprehensive survival pack if I'm heading over the Rockies or doing winter cross country.

:thumbsup: Nice!

I'm in a cold weather climate, and although the planes are in a heated hangar at their home base, I keep most of my cockpit stuff in an Eddie Bauer day pack so I can take it all with me if parked at an away location.

Contents include: pens, pencils, small calculator, 3M sticky pad, headset, inReach, kneeboard, spare AA dry cells, pilot licence, radio operator document, passport if crossing the border, spare reading & sun glasses, any paper maps and (just to pizz-a off @Ravioli --->) an iPad with ForeFlight. :happydance:

In the plane the same stuff as others have mentioned: oil, funnel, fuel sampler, windshield bug cleaner, microfibre cloths, roll of shop towels, small tube of hand cleaner, small tool kit, first aid kit, plus a comprehensive survival pack if I'm heading over the Rockies or doing winter cross country.
What is in reach

I keep my Stratux in the plane and my headsets and kneeboard along with a pair of tinted safety glasses and a pair of readers per my certificate.
I carry a bag with survival stuff in my car and bring it to the plane. I also bring my tablet and handheld radio. In the back of the plane is a toolkit, oil, tie downs, chalks. I put the cowl plugs, pitot cover and tow bar in the plane when I preflight. And there is always a pee bottle in the plane.

And cash- for tipping the rampers and for all the dates you will get from being a pilot. Probably one more than the other though..

For those cold times read up in depth on how to do a real preheat... im in colder area than you but I found that its a far more complex issue than warming the oil for 20 mins and hitting the sky...

What is in reach

inReach and SPOT are satellite based trackers and communicators. They are safety devices that some of us pilots use in the airplane when travelling cross-country. Some of us, including me, have no trust in the on-board ELTs. They are only slightly more effective than the TSA as a safety measure. ;) Remarkably often the ELTs do not work.

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/search/?query=inReach

Back