New "Air Frequencies" iOS App

jeffdbrown

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jeffdbrown
Greetings!

I just released an app to the App Store called "Air Frequencies". I wanted to listen to ATC on my transceiver while in the car but never knew the frequencies of the nearest airports. This app uses the device's GPS location to find the nearest airports and lists the corresponding frequencies. There is also a search bar to manually look up an airport by name or identifier. The database is local, so no internet connection is required once it's downloaded. Works internationally!

Check it out and let me know what you think - I will make updates based on your suggestions! I got my PPL last October and am raising funds to put towards and instrument rating. As such, it's $1.99 in the App Store. I will develop it for Android if there's enough demand.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/air-frequencies/id626626301?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2

Thanks!

iPhone
mzl.vbtrpgxo.320x480-75.jpg

iPad
mzl.vlocvmna.480x480-75.jpg

Nice enough app. Would be helpful to be able to limit search by distance (i.e. show airports within 5 miles, 10 miles, etc).

Cool

Pardon my ignorance, but can I use this App to listen to ATC while driving in the car without any other equipment needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cool

Pardon my ignorance, but can I use this App to listen to ATC while driving in the car without any other equipment needed?

No...it's just a database of frequencies you can reference for use with your handheld radio.

Darn, I have an 8.5 hour drive on Tuesday

Mr Brown I bought your $1.99 app even though FF does this for me in a much better manner but curiosity got the best of me and I find this app lacking in a couple of ways.

First of all it doesn't have the correct airport codes for airports in my area.
Second of all it placed one airport (KVQQ) that is over 31.9 miles away as 0.00 miles away from me.

Fernandina Beach is no longer known as 55J, it is now KFHB.
St Marys Georgia is 4J6, there is no K in front of the airport code.

dy4yjeta.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I would really appreciate a review on itunes as well. I had someone give the app a bad review because they thought I was scamming people making them think they could listen to ATC on the app, which I in no way implied.

flav8r:
The information comes directly from databases on the FAA website, I will make sure the most recent ones are being used. Thanks for the bug report also, I will look into it and push out an update with a fix.

BrianR:
Thanks for the suggestion! I will add filters in the next version (perhaps even the ability to filter by type of airport as well).

Back