New Advisory Circular on Electronic Flight "Bag" Device usage

Anybody checked to see what's different or will I have to dig through it line by line? In any event, this doesn't affect plain vanilla Part 91 operations, and that's most of us here.

Anybody checked to see what's different or will I have to dig through it line by line? In any event, this doesn't affect plain vanilla Part 91 operations, and that's most of us here.

This AC only pertains to part 91F, 91K, 121, and 135 operations. If you are 91K, 121, or 135 you need approval. If you are 91F, you have to document certain device testing and compliance with the AC to use an EFB in-lieu of a paper equivalent. For 91F, 91K, 121, and 135 operators, Class 1 EFBs with type b applications (ie. charts) must be secured and viewable to be used in critical phases of flight (below 10,000 feet).

For us normal Part 91 schmucks, it appears we still as PIC can determine if we can bust 91.21 since the devices are now absolutely hard-classified as PEDs.

However, there's an interesting gotcha in AC 91-78 though. It says data must be current. (Not smart, probably breaks the "all available information relevant to the flight FAR, but theres never been direct verbiage that says a Part 91 flight must carry current charts, or any charts at all...)

So, by the letter of the law... you can fly with an old paper chart legally although it's frowned upon, but this is a direct statement in an AC that you can't fly with an out of date chart from an EFB.

At least that's the way I read it literally. And lawyers love literal. ;)

This AC only pertains to part 91F, 91K, 121, and 135 operations. If you are 91K, 121, or 135 you need approval. If you are 91F, you have to document certain device testing and compliance with the AC to use an EFB in-lieu of a paper equivalent. For 91F, 91K, 121, and 135 operators, Class 1 EFBs with type b applications (ie. charts) must be secured and viewable to be used in critical phases of flight (below 10,000 feet).
None of that is new.

Ron, does anyone have any idea on the iPad or EFB rules for Canada?
I'm planning a trip later this summer. I have the paper VFR charts, but I was going to do the ForeFlight IFR Enroute, IAP and AF/D.

Back