new AC for CFI's

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
just heard on a FAASTeam seminar, CFI's now have a new thing to do, certify in a student log book before solo that he is English proficient. this was triggered by ATC unable to understand some pilots whose first language is not English and could cause safety hazard.

I am not a CFI and that's all I know.

LOL what about controllers w/ accents that are hard to understand! Miami Center for one. That's rich.

edit: we do IACRA confirm they're US citizens now, I had written English Proficient by mistake.

Last edited:
You're probably thinking of the latest revision of AC 61-65. When a CFI approves a student for their student pilot certificate, the CFI is supposed to verify that the student is English proficient.

LOL what about controllers w/ accents that are hard to understand! Miami Center for one. That's rich.

It's been that way since we started with IACRA I believe as far as English proficient is concerned. Do you have a CFAR reference for this @WannFly ?

I don't. but I see in this one https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_60-28B.pdf that one needs to be Level 4 (god help every CFI to judge what a level 4 is).

I heard this from a FAA guy on Tuesday, that this coming and is very new since the CFI will have to endorse in the log book that the student is proficient and everyone will be able to understand him/her.

I see UND CFI's tearing their hair apart pretty soon.

You're probably thinking of the latest revision of AC 61-65. When a CFI approves a student for their student pilot certificate, the CFI is supposed to verify that the student is English proficient.

Yup, 61-65g is correct, also has references to AC 60-28 Wannfly quoted above as well as a ICAO table with the various levels and audio samples. Crazy shet.

funny thing is my CFI was sitting next to me and, I told him aren't you glad I am not your primary student anymore? he said, no kidding :rofl::rofl:

funny thing is my CFI was sitting next to me and, I told him aren't you glad I am not your primary student anymore? he said, no kidding :rofl::rofl:

We feel that way about all our former students. :popcorn: :biggrin:

dude - Transpac sucks, can't understand a word they're saying.
another dude - they know and changed their name to AeroGuard
dude - they suck too
another dude - would you believe they changed their name again to Westwind?

"English Proficient" these days pretty much means the person can parrot what the controller says close enough where the controller doesn't have to repeat themselves, right away.

Does this apply to DPEs too... or only to CFIs?

hahahahhahahahahhahahahhahha

Does this apply to DPEs too... or only to CFIs?

hahahahhahahahahhahahahhahha
Both. When processing a certificate (and yes, a sstudent pilot certificate is a certificate), the authorized person must attest that the applicant is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language, using the guidance from the AC. If the person does not meet the standards according to the person processing the application, the applicant gets referred to the FSDO for evaluation.

I don't. but I see in this one https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_60-28B.pdf that one needs to be Level 4 (god help every CFI to judge what a level 4 is).

I heard this from a FAA guy on Tuesday, that this coming and is very new since the CFI will have to endorse in the log book that the student is proficient and everyone will be able to understand him/her.

I see UND CFI's tearing their hair apart pretty soon.
The instructor does not have to endorse a logbook. It's handled as part of the student pilot certificate processing.

Back