New 61-98D Guidance for the Flight Review and Instrument Proficiency

Revised again?

We’ve already been joking an IPC will take two days by the guidance from the previous revision. :)

I find it interesting that the FAA has such a high opinion of archived 8710 flight times, but yet, as an examiner, they tell me that if I use it to verify a pilot's experience, I'm committing an act of fraud.

1. 1.10.2 Flight Review and IPC. When a pilot satisfactorily completes a flight review or IPC, the applicant should provide, and the evaluating flight instructor should submit, a completed FAA Form 8710-1 to the Airmen Certification Branch (AFB-720). The FAA does not require FAA Form 8710-1 for a pilot’s flight review or IPC; however, the FAA strongly encourages all applicants and flight instructors to follow this recommendation. When submitted, AFB-720 will add the application to the pilot’s FAA record. Pilots should ensure that their data is current, because up-to-date records benefit everyone.

For example, a pilot’s total flight time and aeronautical experience determines insurance premiums. If a pilot loses his or her logbook, an FAA record is on file and available. Nevertheless, submitting FAA Form 8710-1 for a flight review or IPC is optional.

I just submitted times on 8710-1 through IACRA for my Instructor Renewal. I do not need to submit anything for a flight review, completed a few days later.

The time is coming that IACRA filing for Flight Reviews and IPC will be required. For now still voluntary.

Last edited:
I just submitted times on 8710-1 through IACRA for my Instructor Renewal. I need to submit anything for a flight review, completed a few days later.

The time is coming that IACRA fil8ng for Flight Reviews and IPC will be required. For now still voluntary.

The instructions today also don’t require it to be FULLY filled out. The system only checks for the required items per rating.

I suspect that will change eventually, too. Everything on planet must be in a database. Somewhere.

Back