never got this question before??

P

pquinniii

i had another flight instructor call me today with a question. A student was telling him that he was taught from the military that on the 'route' portion of the ifr flight plan, the final fix MUST be the FAF of the instrument approach he was going to use at his destination. Now I know that is incorrect, but what the flight instructor wanted from me was "where would i find that in writing?". I've wore my eyes out scouring the FAR's and AIM, and cannot find in writing anything that says what the final fix on the route section should be. Does anyone have any clues??

There is no requirement. That is 'Old Army', or 'old school' training - in case of lost comm. Filing to the IAF of intended approach was seen as a common sense thing to do anyway, especially back in the no-radar days - it was a standard.

You'd find it in the relevant military instructions and manuals because that's the way they want their crews to do it (or at least, that's how I was taught flying in both the Air Force and Navy a couple of decades ago). However, it's not an FAA requirement, which is why you won't find it in the FAR's, AIM, or IPH.

Back