Neuropsychological Testing Complete

Chris Charanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
So I posted here a while back about this and wanted to briefly share my experience with the testing I had to do as a result of being prescribed adderall. First I wound up having to travel to the south side of Houston, TX for the exam but that wasn't really a big deal (about a 4 hour drive total from where i live). I went up the day before and got a hotel for the night and had my appointment yesterday (04-12-22).

So I arrived for the 9:30 appointment, went through some basic get to know you type stuff and had a Q&A with the psychologist with him basically asking me some life history questions etc.. After that I was taken to another room where I sat with his assistant and we proceeded with some testing. I won't go into great detail but will touch on some of it below:

i started out with a computer in front of me and the test was that letters would flash on the screen and i was supposed to press the spacebar for every letter that flashed except for the letter X which would randomly appear. This test changed in speed periodically and went on for 14 minutes. I'd say I might have pressed the space bar on X three times out of 14 minutes so I felt good about it and the person giving me the test assured me I did fine. After this there were a series of other tests including a trailmaking test with both letters and numbers a math test (arithmetic all the way up to trig and I haven't done trig in a long time). Then I had go red a sheet full of different words from basic somewhat complex. This was followed by a digit span test both forwards and backwards. I did really really well on this to my surprise and was able to get 9 digits forward and 8 digits backwards. The most challenging test of this entire period was the PASAT. It was basically broken down into 4 sections that followed one after another after a brief pause in between. With each one the numbers were read faster and faster. I did very well on the 1st 3 and it wasn't until about half way through the last one that I got behind. Overall I think I did well on this one as well. I also had to name of all the animal names i could think of, was given letters and told to list as many words as I could that weren't names of people , states and something else, this wasn't terribly hard but after a while i did seem to run out of vocabulary. On a side note before I started taking these tests the psychologist i was seeing did tell me not to stress to much about it and that no one ever gets them all and that my goal was only to land on the curve and not to be perfect which helped me no to stress over it

After the testing with the assistant I took a break for lunch and then upon returning for lunch I came back and met with the psychologist which is when I did the actual cogscreen on the computer. It was basically a touch screen with a stylus and you had to input everything by touch. I had a word math problem, a question about if a train left at a certain time and had 3 stops of 15 minutes each and was traveling at a given speed what time would it arrive, this was easy. The good thing is that most of the tests on the cogscreen did have a practice test so you could get acclimated and when you were ready you would start the actual test. The two that I ultimately did fine on but had to do the practice test a couple of times were the one where you had to keep a tick mark centered on a line and do number recall and one where you had a circle on the screen where the top and bottom were a different color and when the dot crossed over into the colored areas you had to bring it back to center while also at the same time determining if two sets of letters were the same or different. Once I ran through the practice test a couple of times to get the hang of it i did fine on both of these. The test with the man holding the flag was a little challenging when he went upside down but very doable. The only other one that really stands out to me a somewhat computerized version of the trailmaking test but the numbers were in boxes and would disappear as you tapped the screen and be replaced by another and you had to click them in order and in the center of the number which was followed by the same test but with letters added. There was one where you were given a box with a pattern and then on the next screen two boxes with two patterns appeared and one was the same as the previous page but again this wasn't hard to do. There was more involved that i know i'm leaving out but for the sake of time and droning on i won't list them here as they really don't stand out in my mind.

After the testing was completed I was given the MMPI which was 567 questions with True & False as the answer choices. I've taken one of these before and for me it was pretty straight forward. After I had completed the MMPI I was instructed to drive about a mile away to a quest diagnostics for a drug screen. Luckily for me the psychologist that was administering my testing had scheduled my drug screen for me and the fee I paid him included the drug test which was helpful as it was one less thing I had to do. Upon completing the drug testing I drove back over to the office and we finished up the interview and I was on my way back home.

I will close with some final thoughts on this whole process. For those of you wondering the total cost for the evaluation was $2100.00 from my pocket to the psychologist. The drug screen through quest was another $135 I believe so the total cost was $2235.00. I will say that i had this appointment booked for 2 months so I was very anxious going into it and was almost filled with dread from some of the horror stories I've read about it but when it was all said and done I felt really really good about it. The psychologist (well i keep saying that, he's a neuropsychologist) said that while he could give me a definitive yes or no because he had to score everything etc he was very reassuring that based on his experience (he said he'd been giving the FAA assessment for 10 years) that from the data he did have and from looking over the cogscreen results initially that he thought that I did very well and shouldn't have anything to really worry about. The crazy part is that I had put in the request to the FAA for my medical records (which there aren't much because i never was granted a medical certificate to begin with) about a month prior and the FAA had still not gotten back to him. At some point I wonder if the fax went through and if I should maybe call the RFS office and see if they can at least tell me if the request was received. He said he would've been surprised had they responded by yesterday so now it's a waiting game.

Good job getting through the process, you are right the waiting game now begins. To provide some context I received my Cogscreen and Eval results end of May of 2021 (about two weeks after examinations), FAA received my report in mid june, was finally cleared with a 1st class special issuance in November of 2021. Stay patient my friend.

Good job getting through the process, you are right the waiting game now begins. To provide some context I received my Cogscreen and Eval results end of May of 2021 (about two weeks after examinations), FAA received my report in mid june, was finally cleared with a 1st class special issuance in November of 2021. Stay patient my friend.

To my surprise the stress leading up to the actual testing was considerably worse than the testing itself. The Dr down in Houston told me that He'd have it scored within a couple of days but he had to send off the MMPI to the whoever created the test or something to be scored and sent back to him. He told me that would take about 2 weeks or so. I'm not sure if I'll actually get a copy of everything or not. I know I signed a release so he could provide it to the FAA and to my HIMS AME. I'd like to get a copy of it and his report just to see what he had to say although he left me with the impression that I did well and there should be no issues but ultimately it was up to the FAA. I took some comfort in the fact that he'd been administering these for 10 years and I'd think he'd have a really good idea of what they were looking for and that he would write his report in a very specific way based on training from the FAA etc which led me also to understand why it was so important to have it be someone known to the FAA. I'm really hoping all of this can be cleared by the end of the year which based on what you said seems like a pretty good possibility.

IF he's "sending it off" he's lazy. The thing can be scored a couple of ways on computers and even manually.

I did the full battery. The cog screen AE, and I sat down with the Doc for a long series of testing. I can only add that it is extremely important to have someone very familiar with this testing and the FAA. The one I used, exclusively does pilot cases.

The time frame for scoring is normal. The doctor took a week or so. He wrote a lot of reports… turned out to be a massive packet of information.

I agree though. Get a good night sleep, and try not to freak out over it. Easier said than done!

Your experience was similar to mine, except about $1500 cheaper!

Of note is that after I had taken my neuropsych exam, my HIMS neuro was waiting on my FAA medical file, too. I had request it about a month prior to my visit. After my exam, I called the RFS in Des Moines, WA, and the woman who helped me there was able to contact records in OKC who put a "rush" order on it and got it out the next day.

I hope I never have to take an exam like that. Pretty sure I’d fail miserably, or tell them where to stuff it about halfway through.

Good job getting it done.

I did the full battery. The cog screen AE, and I sat down with the Doc for a long series of testing. I can only add that it is extremely important to have someone very familiar with this testing and the FAA. The one I used, exclusively does pilot cases.

The time frame for scoring is normal. The doctor took a week or so. He wrote a lot of reports… turned out to be a massive packet of information.

I agree though. Get a good night sleep, and try not to freak out over it. Easier said than done!

The neuropsychologist who i went to was on the FAA list of "known" psychologist. There aren't a whole bunch even in a state the size of Texas but I made very sure he was on the "known" list so as to avoid the headaches.

14 minutes clicking a keyboard and avoiding "X"s? Pretty sure I'm unfit to fly.

Pretty much. Press the space bar on everything but the letter X. I will say that when it was all said and done the whole thing was essentially a series of a bunch of mundane tasks (which i guess is the point)

Pretty much. Press the space bar on everything but the letter X. I will say that when it was all said and done the whole thing was essentially a series of a bunch of mundane tasks (which i guess is the point)

I asked my HIMS neuropsych what this was supposed to test. His response was focus and concentration. Most people with ADHD can't focus on such a simple task for such a long time. To the FAA failing this test, one of many, is--according to the HIMS neuropsych--a good indicator that a testee's ability to concentrate is impaired.

I can't recall it ever being necessary, or even remotely desirable, to focus on one singular thing for 14 minutes as a pilot. This reminds me of the stories of the medical tests they put the first astronauts through. "Because we can" isn't a valid reason to do a test. Driving a car involves more required focus on a singular task for an extended time period than flying a plane.

Even the selection of "pilot norms" they use for this testing is extremely questionable. My understanding is it was based on testing a bunch of pilots at Oshkosh. Thinking that the specific subset of pilots who attend Oshkosh is representative of the entire pilot population of the U.S. is inherently flawed.

I can't recall it ever being necessary, or even remotely desirable, to focus on one singular thing for 14 minutes as a pilot. This reminds me of the stories of the medical tests they put the first astronauts through. "Because we can" isn't a valid reason to do a test. Driving a car involves more required focus on a singular task for an extended time period than flying a plane.

Even the selection of "pilot norms" they use for this testing is extremely questionable. My understanding is it was based on testing a bunch of pilots at Oshkosh. Thinking that the specific subset of pilots who attend Oshkosh is representative of the entire pilot population of the U.S. is inherently flawed.

I completely agree on both points. However, if the FAA is looking for evidence of ADHD (or any other limitation) and they know that Test [Z] is a good means of evaluating whether or not a test subject has ADHD (or any other limitation) then, objectively, it seems like a good idea to apply the test.

I can only speak based on what the neuropsychologist told me prior to the testing itself but the way he said it and how I understood it was that the testing is benchmarking to three different groups, 1 being commercial airline pilots (think southwest, american, fedex pilots etc) the 2nd being regional airline pilots (think Envoy) and the 3rd being general aviation. I really don't understand how there is a distinction between group 1 (pilots of big jet airliners) and group 2 (pilots of smaller regional jets) although I guess the bigger planes are more complex. Ultimately it's a moot point as long as my score is where it needs to be comparatively which I think it should be based on feedback i got there and how it felt in general. The psychologist also sent me home with two questionnaires which were identical to one i filled out in the office. One was for my wife to fill out (scored from 1 to 5 with things that would be ADHD related I guess and one for another person to fill out about how i was as a child (he basically said have my mom fill it out) I don't know if those factor into the overall results or not or if it's just a reference to how I saw myself vs how others see me.

But that's a good thing. People that build their own airplanes are crazy, so it's a leg-up on the test.

But that's a good thing. People that build their own airplanes are crazy, so it's a leg-up on the test.

I was thinking that pilots who willingly submit themselves to insane levels of crowding both in the air and on the ground, and sleeping in a tent under a metal airplane during thunderstorms and flooding rains for a week, would disqualify them from normative mental health testing.

Trigonometry..seriously????

In full disclosure it was like 1 Trig question. It was basically a 2 sided page with everything from basic arithmetic to algebra to trig and the test was timed so it was sort of run through it do the ones that are quick and easy and then come back to the algebra and trig if you have time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back